edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

okay so i need a small knife to carry in my bag or person for small mundane everyday tasks that i keep findin myself uslesly lookin for hunting or wishing i had a knife or something to cut with.

Been thinkin of these two..What do u guys think?

Spyderco Leafstorm or Spyderco Cricket

okay so i need a small knife to carry in my bag or person for small mundane everyday tasks that i keep findin myself uslesly lookin for hunting or wishing i had a knife or something to cut with.

Been thinkin of these two..What do u guys think?

Spyderco Leafstorm or Spyderco Cricket

Both are good, prices are very different.

Branespload has had both of them.

^ this answer isn't saying much tbh

the leafstorm isn't that expensive, and it's far from tactical.

f5f is right in that it does feature exotic, high quality materials. the s30v blade holds an edge for a long time and sharpens right up on the sharpmaker. it features a titanium framelock for super tight lockup that only strengthens under pressure. the jade g10 handle is whatever, i actually found it ugly after a while. also keep in mind this knife is based off of Kevin Wilkin's Leafstorm, and it's made in Golden, CO USA.

the knife itself is a very capable 'little big knife,' and is a great pick for people with smaller hands or strict blade length limits. i very much like mine, but then again, i didn't pay anywhere near retail, or street price, even… basically, the quality of materials and its excellent performance in a small package makes it kinda pricey

i find the leafstorm more comfortable to hold because it is thicker, i can get a more even grip on it. comparison pics for your consideration

4622379647_88750b3043_z.jpg

4622984596_279ac72a9c_z.jpg

it's really not that big of a knife, but if you want super ultra thin and can deal with the recurve…

The only thing that I didn't like about the Leafstorm is the fact that there's no choil/cutout to choke up on the blade.

I once tried to cut into a hard ball of cheese with my index finger on the flat spot between the blade and finger cutout for more leverage, but my finger slipped onto the bottom back-corner of the blade and got cut.

I also have a store review of Cutlery Shoppe, bottomline, they're awesome!

I ordered a Manix on wednesday morning at 12:20am, about twenty minutes later I emailed them and asked if I could add on a Native to my order. An hour later (1:48 in the morning) I got an email back saying they updated my order. It was packaged and shipped that same morning, and I got it in the mail on Friday the 24th of December. Needless to say that's some damn fast processing of the order.

They have great prices and excellent service, I'd definitely recommend them.

^ how much did you pay for that keychain btw? that's just cordage with a bow shackle… o_O

crank bros? http://everyday-carry.com/post/858699772/submitted-by-twowords-picked-this-up-today

topeak? http://everyday-carry.com/post/1130813739/topeak-mini-20-pro-via-utility-journal-submitted

I got the bow shackles from work, cleaning out stuff the maintenance department didn't want them so I don't know prices. Check McMaster Carr

S30v steel sharpens to a very sharp edge and it can be done in 2 minutes. Even when it feels dull, it's much sharper than most cheaper blades.

Is there a reason you're only looking at spydercos? There are other very good brands to consider that can fill in the gap between the two prices!

based on this thread and other edc forums i've been recently lurking it seems like i can get a quality product from spydercos. If u can steer me to some of these inbetween brands i'd be thankful. lookin for a small pocket knife maybe 2 inch blade but very durable long lasting, small & discrete kinda like the cricket for daily use. If they made a leafstorm the size of a cricket then i think that would be the perfect knife i'd be lookin for, thanks

based on this thread and other edc forums i've been recently lurking it seems like i can get a quality product from spydercos. If u can steer me to some of these inbetween brands i'd be thankful. lookin for a small pocket knife maybe 2 inch blade but very durable long lasting, small & discrete kinda like the cricket for daily use. If they made a leafstorm the size of a cricket then i think that would be the perfect knife i'd be lookin for, thanks

I reckon check out the dragonfly 2, I have the SS version and I love it, perfect little edc blade.

For sure Spyderco is one of the the top brands out there but it really all depends what you're looking for.

My personal favorites are SOG, Benchmade and Spyderco but there are always many other brands to consider like Al-Mar and Fallkniven for example.

If you're just getting into knives, I would suggest not spending over 50$ for a first knife since you will most likely not like something about the knife, love something and so on.. If you aim for Aus-8 or 154CM blade materials, you should have a great knife with great cutting capacities.

We tend to get carried away when someone asks for advice and we tell them to get the highest quality shit, but keep in mind, we are knife snobs and we find flaws where average people wouldn't.

That being said, I would suggest the Sog Flash 1. The blade length is 2.5, Aus-8 steel, very small and not too menacing. It has great reviews all over the web and it could even become your favorite knife. A lot of people choose the Flash over every other knives just because it's so lightweight.

ANYONE FEEL FREE TO BASH MY SHIT.

Hope you have fun finding the ideal knife!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOG-FLASH-1-FSA-7-ASSISTED-OPENING-FOLDER-KNIFE-NEW-/360331421365?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item53e56d26b5

Eww AUS8. You can get a Native with S30V for $60 on ebay, just saying.

Look around at the features that you think you might like, look at reviews and try to to go to outdoor/camping/hunting/gun stores to see the display models and ask them question if you have that ability.

I'll be rotating the SE Native into my EDC, hopefully I like it.

Nitecore R2 SmartPD EX10 and RAT ferro/magnesium rod on the keychain

Now that I see this picture, I have a decent survival setup. Knife, light, firestarting capability, and signal mirror on the phone. Add in my paracord bracelet and my multitool I usually have and I'm decently set, woo hoo. Also going to start carrying an aluminum water bottle and FAK in my bag.

img3520t.jpg

Family portrait, I've been carrying/using the Military for about 6 months, it needs to be cleaned as the G10 is nowhere near as bright as it used to be.

Military, Manix, Assist, Native

img3522w.jpg

also keep in mind that not everyone in this forum is a steel snob… i have an s30v leafstorm, aus 8 al mar, had a vg10 cricket, etc, but i have no problem carrying just a victorinox to get me through the day. loz brings up a good point, consider the knife as a whole and don't discount it completely just because it doesn't use a super steel~

yeah, it is more important to have a knife in a steel that you can sharpen yourself

super steels are great as long as you have a diamond hone

I can strop my s30v for touchups or use 1k grit sandpaper if you're on a budget. s30v is easier to sharpen than people think, my sharpmaker does a fine jog w/o diamond stones or ultrafine stones.

Good choice on picking up my suggestion with the dragonfly.

I can strop my s30v for touchups or use 1k grit sandpaper if you're on a budget. s30v is easier to sharpen than people think, my sharpmaker does a fine jog w/o diamond stones or ultrafine stones.

Good choice on picking up my suggestion with the dragonfly.

good point

so much easier to maintain your knife's sharpness rather than allowing it to get dull

stropping on a manila envelope, or on your palm, is often all you need to do

i find having an arkansas pocket stone somewhere on your person is indispensable (cub scout concept)

speaking of spyderco, i just picked up three new knives for a pretty decent steal.

All black delica

olive drab delica

all black native

X

c'mon, share the wealth

that all black delica is calling to me

i am thinking of trying out a spyderco military (digi cam)

i had a dream about it last night actually

i was gripping it two handed and swinging it around like i was he-man

(pretty gay, huh?)

also on my mind, strider sng (i love the con-artist fake spec-op mythos)

got to get these overbuilt mil-spec type knives out of my system