edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

I've lived in the backcountry for extended periods of time, with people who've done it much longer than I, and none of them had kind things to say about firesteel or anything similar.

Much more practical to carry multiple waterproof bags with a selection of cheap lighters and matches in various places on your pack/body and spread throughout your group, if you're with others.

My top 3 picks:

- Goinggear.com 's mischmetal rod

- Ultimate Survival Technologies StrikeForce Fire Starter

- Magnesium block/rod and a ferro rod

However, these are not much good unless you practice with them and know how to use them. What tinder/firestarter are you carrying?

And i'd have to disagree with you on the firesteel. They work great if you have a quality rod and know how to use it. I would never rely on a lighter and would have multiple sets of waterproof matches in waterproof cases in multiple spots in your bag and even on your person.

Firesteel or a ferro rod will last a long time. I have a boy scout one and it's lasted 10 years. The matches at 1:30 in that vid are the ones I carry, as well as standard blue/white tip strike anywhere.

As for firestarters, there are too many options to go over. Take an hour and look through youtube vids, survival, and camping forums and you should get a good idea of what to carry.

-Tigerprawn-

i've got a small keychain size firesteel from rei that's $8 (http://www.rei.com/product/762946) and it's worked well. i've started probably 10-12 fires with it while backpacking. it's kinda cheap quality, and i would imagine a slight upgrade may work a little better/faster, but it gets the job done.

i've also used the cotton balls covered in vasoline trick and it's a gem. i tried the store bought version of them (http://www.rei.com/product/631077) and had less success than the homemade ones.

and lastly, i've used the REI brand storm proof matches (http://www.rei.com/product/617046). i always carry them when camping or backpacking, but i've only had to use them once when i couldn't find good, dry tinder and i didn't have any of the cotton balls. they worked well. i like that they come with some striking pads. i carry them in a little plastic waterproof case.

hope that helps!

hey everyone, i'm new to the thread and had a couple quick questions. i found this thread, along with everyday-carry.com, while looking for a small flashlight to help combat dark stages while setting up music gear (i'm a musician). i settled on the quark 123 regular and i love it. i use it way more than i ever thought i would. i'm looking to get a keychain light and am thinking about the quark mini CR2 titanium. i've heard some poor reviews about the threads and wanted to know how big of an issue this actually is? anyone happen to know how it compares to the quark 123? also, anyone out there carrying a TI light on their keychain? do they wear well, or do they just get beat up? my bad if this issue has already been covered, tried to look through the old posts and couldn't find anything.

also, any word on the next round of quark titaniums? i'd love to get my hands on a quark 123 titanium!

oh and here's a quick pocket dump:

5238722046_00bd727ee8_z.jpg

Hi DCB, welcome to superfuture and thanks for checking out my blog.

On a very small twist light such as the CR2 Ti, having titanium on titanium will inevitably yield poor results... activation will be gritty, which can only be fixed by cleaning, lubing and break in. Even then, it will never be as smooth as aluminum on aluminum threads.

For reference, I have a Quark 123 in Ti, a Mini 123 in Ti, and a Mini CR2 (and a Mini 123 in Alu but who's counting..)

Activating the Ti minis is a little bit difficult, and often times I find myself missing/skipping modes, or activating in a sloppy way such that I cause some weird inductor whine. This is remedied by good technique and using two hands.. altho it can be inconvenient, especially as a keychain light/something stuck to your belt or whatever.

Is it a big issue? Not to me, if it were my backup light. My backup/secondary would just need to work and work reliably -- ease of activation isn't my #1 concern. YMMV.

Lastly -- does Ti wear on a keychain? Hell yea it does... but it doesn't look bad to me. It dullens it a bit, gives it some nice character and scratches, it looks loved… But if you like to keep your gear shiny, the nice thing about titanium is that it polishes right up.

And re: more Quark Tis -- as far as I know, those are a very limited run and won't be made anymore. If I could ever somehow part with mine, I'll let you know.. but as I'm writing this it's chillin in my back left pocket. B)

EDIT: also, nice pocket dump. reminds me of my old carry setup with the 123, the spyderco and the manager/rambler? and multikey.

anyway, this is americana

5238876638_6ca2bc0c72_z.jpg

copped that amazon deal, $30 for two supertinkers (best feature/size ratio imo.) and flipped one for $20. so $10 shipped for a supertinker? pretty good, brane. pretty good. bout to pop off the scales and put on some black cellidor.. then just a few more finishing touches and i'll have my EDC multitool. i found i really only need something to pry with, a screwdriver, bottle opener and scissors most of the time. rarely use pliers

thanks for the help branespload (love your blog - i'm currently eyeing a leaf storm for my next blade upgrade btw). that's pretty much what I was expecting. i'll probably fire on the mini CR2 Ti. i'm cool with it showing wear and it'll be a backup so as long as the threads aren't terrible i'll be cool with it.

the SAK is actually a minichamp. i've carried a midnite manager for about 6 years now and recently lost it along with my first multikey when a dumbass valet broke my split ring. decided to give the minichamp a try. a couple of tools are unnecessary (e.i. orange peeler, cuticle pusher) but i like the extra blade, the micrometer and the dedicated nail file. also just picked up a mico widgy bar which i'm liking a lot.

^ nope, im starting to think this is just 4sevens trying to get more money out of flashaholics

theyve been releasing lights within 2 weeks of each other which are just rehashed silghtly incrementally improved versions or unnecessary things like satin Ti in weird expensive configurations

im going to wait for a light with a drastic increase, like an XM-L package at a T6 flux bin or so