edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

i was looking into the g11 before, but i decided to wait on a model with hd recording. i have a friend with the g10 and prefers that over the g11. i had an instructor who owns a g9 and prefers that over the g10 and g11. a few weeks back, i realized my school uses g9 to take student IDs. if you want to try out the g10, you could go to best buys. don't know about your local BB, but mine has one on display for hands-on action.

anyway, here's your "how it works: sharbo"

cPTi6hsT66w

made this last night and realize i had to give my nails a trim.

Hello,

Question to branesplode or anyone: would all my daily stuff visible in the photo (15-inch MBP in sleeve, headphones in case, rather large film camera, and other small junk, plus maybe a magazine…) fit either in the 5.11 Rush 12 or Rush 24? They both seem suitable but I can't try them in person where I live, and I have doubts about size. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

20100628-8jdd26y145eaw95f7yq9i1qyyt.jpg

^ the rush 24 would swallow that gear easily. rush 12 can probably contain it too. for reference, here's what i had in my rush 24 and it still had room for more in the main compartment:

4604676969_d16a7cf9a6_z.jpg

2 textbooks 2 notebooks some folders etc.

knife question:

i want to get my dad a knife. but i want to get him something he can appreciate for functionality. so i am thinking some extra hard steel maybe...?

he uses his knife daily. cuts tree limbs. other landscape oriented stuff. prefers half serrated. any recommendations? is there some other characteristic you think he might appreciate more?

trying to spend around $100.

Is that Justin beiber?

neg repped

Zach Effron...

Thanks a lot, TMZ.

it's spelled Zac Efron, but close enough. plusrepped. possible negrep for watching/reading TMZ tho.

knife question:

i want to get my dad a knife. but i want to get him something he can appreciate for functionality. so i am thinking some extra hard steel maybe...?

he uses his knife daily. cuts tree limbs. other landscape oriented stuff. prefers half serrated. any recommendations? is there some other characteristic you think he might appreciate more?

you should look into a fixed blade for heavy duty work like that. im not familiar with those tho, sorry.

knife question:

For the budget, I'd just stick with Benchmade but more importantly, a good sharpener would be a great gift.

As of late,

DSC_0367.jpg

Dior Deville

Stones greenbag for impromptu groceries and errands

Bandaids

iphone

Nitecore

Hint mints

Hand sanitizer

Visine

Burt's

Zebra pen

Baliyo

Paracord

Shure earphones

Knife

Allen key

Bike tools

Spare tube

Gloves

Scarf/Handkerchief

Only things missing from pic is handpump, keys and wallet

knife question:

It's a little out of your price range, but you should seriously consider a Gränsfors Bruks mini-hatchet.

When it comes to general landscaping type stuff, a Bruks hatchet is so goddamn incredible. They're handmade by swedish artisan blacksmiths, razor sharp, and really versatile. I love mine, and if I were going to pack a bag for the apocalypse there is NO question that I would grab my hatchet first.

Not exactly what you're hunting down, but something to consider. They rule.

It's a little out of your price range, but you should seriously consider a Gränsfors Bruks mini-hatchet.

When it comes to general landscaping type stuff, a Bruks hatchet is so goddamn incredible. They're handmade by swedish artisan blacksmiths, razor sharp, and really versatile. I love mine, and if I were going to pack a bag for the apocalypse there is NO question that I would grab my hatchet first.

Not exactly what you're hunting down, but something to consider. They rule.

+1 for gransfors bruks, tho i've never used their hatchets, only their felling and splitting axes. I know hatchets can be convenient, but if you decide to go that route, look at axes too. axes = (generally) safer, easier to use, wider variety of uses, etc.

neg repped

it's spelled Zac Efron, but close enough. plusrepped. possible negrep for watching/reading TMZ tho.

you should look into a fixed blade for heavy duty work like that. im not familiar with those tho, sorry.

you're talking quite a bit about handing neg reps out for someone with a zac efron folder

good suggestions. but he needs a new folder. an edc knife. he isn't a lumberjack, and he runs the company. which means his work load is forever decreasing. he just needs something more steezy and functional than the POS he has now.

what the uber hard steel? something that will keep an edge. will i need to pay 200+ to get this fancy steel?

S30V is pretty much the in vogue "fancy" steel right now, you can get something like a Spyderco Native with with that steel for under $100, or the MIlitary for a little more than $100. Both come in combo edge versions.

Maybe a Roselli?

Definitely and amazing, durable, excellent feeling, and resilient knife. No combo edge though. Hardness and blade toughness are usually mutually exclusive unless it's a damascus blade, so I wouldn't get too hung up on how hard it is and just get something you really think he'll LOVE, which is ultimately what counts.

If tree limbs are the main concern couldn't you just get him a regular knife and a gerber axe or a machete? It's better than using a rock to bang ur knife into the branch till you can break it off. Also in my admittedly limited knowledge, the harder the steel, the more brittle it becomes, you sacrifice edge retention for flexibility. Thats why kershaw is now making some knives with D2 tool steel or CPM as the edge and 154cm or s30v as the spine to retain flexibility. Right now I'm saving for a spyderco manix 2 cts-xhp which uses a tool steel blade. Don't know if that helps.

img0525y.jpg

Pocket EDC:

Left front:

Benchmade 940

Ipod Nano w/ Monster Turbines (sometimes stored in bag)

Right front:

Blackberry Pearl

Fenix LD10

Back left:

Cowhide Wallet (from that guy on Styleforum)

Back right:

Leatherman Juice

Carabiner w/ Inka Pen

img0527dy.jpg

Bag EDC:

Big Pouch:

Benchmade 210 SNODY

Ontario Rat 1 (snatched one up for 30$)

All types of chargers and cables

Bus guide with Precision screw driver kit

Pens and pencils

Gum and Advils for the ladies...

Deal Extreme lighter and matches

BASICALLY a shit ton of stuff. I can even fit my Sharpmaker in it. No problem..

Side Zip: (meant to offer more space)

I actually use it to store a murdered out umbrella...

Two Small pouches in front:

Mini ratchet kit

Deck of cards

Earphones when I put them there

Big pouch:

I can easily fit 2-5 engineering books

Level 2 first aid kit

Snacks

Highlighters, erasers and calculator

Back pouch:

Laptop

Top pouch:

Murdered out Powershot SD780

Overall... This back is extremely spacious and properly distributes the weight on the shoulders.

It's very rigid, therefore when you run, the bag does not swing side to side.

The bag itself is heavy compared to my shit AA bag but totally worth it.

Here is a little close up of the Snody Benchmade.

This thing is RAZOR sharp. It's ridiculous.

I love how the weight is perfectly balanced in the finger cutout!

img0528j.jpg

The rat 1 is a very well built knife, incredible for the price I paid but it's very stiff when it comes to the opening and closing of the knife.

Last but not least, I'm going to be upgrading my phone at the end of July for a Bold 9700. For 100$? Why not...