edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

Must spread rep before giving it to TIK

Criminals will ALWAYS have illegal weapons, drugs, do illegal things, etc. The only thing that these laws do is hurt law-abiding citizens. I believe it was in Japan or China that banned guns, then there was a slew of murders with knives. then they banned hunting knives, and people used kitchen knives. The world is a dangerous place, and if people want to hurt you, they'll find a way.

Which one is illegal to buy in NYC at a hardware store, and which one looks more dangerous?

An inch of cutting edge, folding utility knife. - $6

(I've used these and they are hard to open, can't do it easily with one hand)

99721.jpg

OR

2 7/8" blade, high carbon tempered steel, ergo handle, $5

eda862df8c7245f085c621e.jpg

I'm really glad Home Depot is cooperating from not selling dangerous things...

you're right, criminals will always find a way to hurt others but the fact that these large, 6 inch blades are readily and easily available in stores throughout the state is still a concern. making it so easily available only encourages violence, even if it was unintentional. imagine if you no longer needed a permit to buy a gun. many more people would buy a gun because they need it "for protection", especially if everyone else is carrying a gun too. and if a dispute broke out, both sides would be much more inclined to pull their gun because they aren't sure if the other guy will pull out their gun and shoot them first. even if they are just messing around, accident DO happen, which could have been avoided entirely if they weren't carrying dangerous weapons on their person. you see my point?

and how does this hurt law abiding citizens? what can you possibly need a 6+inch blade for in everyday use that couldn't be handled with a knife with a much smaller cutting edge?

also if you read the article they were cracking down in ILLEGAL knives, not the utility knife with 1inch cutting edge that you posted. these include gravity knives and switch blades which are easily opened with one hand and have a very large cutting edge. neither me nor the article, (if you even read it) is prosposing for a ban on all knives. they are just cracking down on ILLEGAL knives, which are, as the name implies, NOT LEGAL in the first place. it baffles me that you guys are criticizing the police force for doing their job and enforcing laws, which are there to protect us.

who's got a good source for paracord... online or in nyc?

i've been buying from a few random sites/shops and the quality is all over the place. would rather have it on the beefier end and need different colors, especially if there are braided colors.

you're right, criminals will always find a way to hurt others but the fact that these large, 6 inch blades are readily and easily available in stores throughout the state is still a concern.

*Why is it a concern? I can do as much damage and conceal an 4" chef knife as I can a 6" folder.

making it so easily available only encourages violence, even if it was unintentional.

*Should we ban baseball bats, pipes, hammers, hatchets as well, people use those to kill people.

imagine if you no longer needed a permit to buy a gun. many more people would buy a gun because they need it "for protection", especially if everyone else is carrying a gun too. and if a dispute broke out, both sides would be much more inclined to pull their gun because they aren't sure if the other guy will pull out their gun and shoot them first.

*In my state you don't need a permit to buy a gun, 18 to buy a rifle/shotgun, 21 for a pistol, 21 to obtain a permit to carry. Thousands of people carry a pistol everyday without incident, you know why, BECAUSE THEY OBEY THE LAW.

even if they are just messing around, accident DO happen, which could have been avoided entirely if they weren't carrying dangerous weapons on their person. you see my point?

*Gun accidents do not happen, Incidents happen, and yes, there is a difference. A person with 10 minutes of teaching and obeying the 4 firearm rules nothing should go wrong. 40,000 people died from automobile accidents in 2009, should we ban cars?

and how does this hurt law abiding citizens? what can you possibly need a 6+inch blade for in everyday use that couldn't be handled with a knife with a much smaller cutting edge?

*Most home depots and camping stores don't sell anything over 3", 4 at the max. And again, size doesn't matter, If i can get a good stab in the neck or thoracic region with a 2" blade they're done. If I take my ball point pen and get a jugular shot they'll bleed out in a few minutes man. Even so, a 4" vs a 6" isn't going to matter much if you get stabbed. That being said, most folders are 4" at max, and anything over 4 isn't usually carried in a store like that.

also if you read the article they were cracking down in ILLEGAL knives, not the utility knife with 1inch cutting edge that you posted. these include gravity knives and switch blades which are easily opened with one hand and have a very large cutting edge. neither me nor the article, (if you even read it) is prosposing for a ban on all knives. they are just cracking down on ILLEGAL knives, which are, as the name implies, NOT LEGAL in the first place. it baffles me that you guys are criticizing the police force for doing their job and enforcing laws, which are there to protect us.

*First off chief, that utility blade that I posted, under NY law, is illegal. So how about you get your facts straight. Read the quote below, the original intention of the law, and how it is enforced today don't match up. The law is a bad one, it's arbitrary to argue if it's illegal if the law was written in 1910 when the technology, usage and intent was completely different back then. I read the article before it was on here and I would be willing to bet that my knowledge of knife and gun laws far surpasses yours. I'll agree that the knives are illegal, but there are lots of dumb laws http://www.dumblaws.com/ in this country. It seems like you honestly don't know what you're talking about.

tried to make my responses in red but didnt work i guess?

From another forum

Technically, In this case the law applies to all of New York. It is the interpretation of the law that changes based on location. The sticky issue is the part in New York State Law that says:

"Gravity knife" means any

knife has blade which is released from the handle or

sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application

of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in

place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other

device.

Depending on the police officer and the judge, if the knife can be easily and repeatedly flicked open (including by holding the blade and flicking the handle down) and then locks into place, it could be potentially considered a gravity knife under the law. (Even though the original definition of a gravity knife was in reference to something completely different).

This means, just about any common locking knife can be manipulated in such a way that it would fall under this restriction.

Fortunately, outside of NYC the law isn't typically enforced in this manner. Inside NYC however, they broadly defined any blade that locks to fall under that definition.

Otherwise, NYC also has additional restrictions on blade length (4") and the manner in which the knife must be carried. (In this case, they require the knife to be concealed from view, so you can forget about most pocket clips as well).

In all honesty, it's an outdated and vague law that should be modernized and clarified. One has to remember that, when it was written, one-handed opening blades weren't as common as they are now. For the most part, they've entirely replaced the traditional pen knife in American society.

See, at the time, you either had people carrying traditional pen knives for day to day activities or people carrying switch blades, gravity knives, daggers, ect so they could get them out fast in a fight; with little in between. The law was originally written to prevent the latter without taking into account changes in technology and public opinion over time. They never could have foreseen the advances in technology that went into something so simple as a pocket knife.

It would be like me trying to write a law about computers based on 1970's technology. At that point in time I couldn't have even imagined how ubiquitous and advanced computers have become. Things that are taken for granted today (like the internet) weren't even imaginable back then.

Image says "this item cannot be shipped to NY" and "folding, lock back"

From homedepot.com

knifem.jpg

//////Rant over.

Goodnight sufu. I'll enjoy carrying my 4" folding locking gravity knife that I use to stab people if I'm angry tomorrow.

Hey. So finally my sufu memebership has been granted. Anyhow.

To weigh in on this NYC knife situation. Id like to clarify that as a police officer it is not their job to protect anyone. Their job is to protect the law, not people. So make sure you get that straight.

But yea anyways. I got my first few EDC type items this week after going over all the posts here and on branesploads blog, flickr groups, ect. I ordered the BOB from LAPG on the sale tip. Its actually much smaller than I thought it was going to be. However the quality seems solid from inspection. The material is stiff and solid, the stitching is spot on. I would say at the price of 28 dollars shipped it was worth the money spent. However at the "actual" or "original" price, this bag would probably be less than expected.

Pictures of this unpacked are useless IMHO. So when I decide how I will load this out I will post some. Im probably just going to pack it as the name says. Ill keep 3 MRE's, small FAK, batteries, packable rain gear, ect. Ill keep it as a baby BOB so to speak supplementing it with my EDC gear.

I also have my SAK Pioneer on its way. Should be a good start. I have most of my purchases planned out already the funds just need to show up.

Anyways thanks for all the info, posts, and pictures. They have all really helped.

Wow. No surprises there.

well to be clear i was responding to dudes post ending with this slice of info

"it baffles me that you guys are criticizing the police force for doing their job and enforcing laws, which are there to protect us."

I meant to convey that the laws arent always in place to protect and the officers enforcing them dont give two shits about anyone but themselves and their authority most of the time. In fact most of these laws are there to take authority away from the individual and into the hands of officials. Again no surprises here.

Id like to clarify that as a police officer it is not their job to protect anyone. Their job is to protect the law, not people. So make sure you get that straight.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gTm2NX7UCc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gTm2NX7UCc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

6:36 is particularly relevant. This whole (6 part) series is worth watching, though.

next lvl edc?

zz2d67ab71-550x412.jpg

zz2a7778c8-550x412.jpg

zz7e600bfb-550x412.jpg

zz14f85cbf-550x412.jpg

I knew it was only a matter of time before science would allow for the invention of a real life Star Wars lightsaber. Of course, we aren’t quite there, but we’re getting close. Wicked Lasers took the direct blue laser diode components and made the world’s first 445nm direct blue diode laser, the Arctic — the world’s most portable laser. The $200 Spyder III Pro Arctic emits a 445nm cool blue, ultra high power 1W beam which appears up to 4000% brighter than the Sonar’s 405nm violet beam. Basically, its powerful.
This direct blue laser diode is the result of the evolution of laser technology. Less than one year ago, this laser would have cost thousands of dollars to build. Don’t let the Arctic name fool you, this laser possesses the most burning capabilities of any portable laser in existence. That’s why it’s also the most dangerous laser ever created.
Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class IV Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/14/cool-stuff-real-life-lightsaber/

I think chris posted that back a while ago

but i really see no everyday general utility to a laser pointer. some ppl just cop stuff to add to their edc for the sake of adding to their edc

duz not sit well w/ me #minimalismz

I can pick up either od green, black, or white from Campmor in Jersey. I think it runs about $4 for 100 yards and the quality is real nice. For some wild colours check out the EMS on Broadway. It aint cheap though.

i'm going to have you get me some black, but am especially after bright colors/flourescents/royal blue on the heavier end. the OD green stuff i have from cabelas is great, but they don't carry any other colors.

EMS doesn't have any but some white tent cord that i got burned on. its super thin and crappy.

thanx for the ebay link.

The gray is a nice color, I have some on my Izula. Also the neon yellow is pretty damn bright. I use it for camping so people don't trip over my tent lines.

Also got my Kershaw chive in the mail today and it's a good little knife for light duty. Super easy to open with the spring assist and the titanium nitride coating is a nice dark flat black. Framelock is solid and easy to close with one hand. Great for a keychain knife or even a coinpocket knife. Only $40 and made in USA.

yesterday i was in studio and forgot/lost my sharpener so i whipped out my knife and took care of business.

#whydoyoupeopleallcarryknives?

a knife is always what i use to sharpen my pencils... even in class. people don't freak out, but that's because it's a SAK.