edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

I was inspired by branespload's RIT x Leafstorm results, and decided to give my Wilkins grip the same treatment. Another deciding factor for me was that the pale green was taking on a lot of indigo and dirt, and with the G10 being so porous it was a pain to get clean.

Before:

4512178585_6913b9a394.jpg

After:

4658794825_799fe7fb39.jpg

4658793399_9304e00507.jpg

4658794153_fbf2b97c62.jpg

4658792471_d6807ccfb7.jpg

Along with the dye job i switched up a lot of my edc. just waiting on my new timepiece to show up to post a pocket dump..

you sir,

are a fucking dumbass for taking rit dye to scales that alone -

are worth like...75-80 bucks, what the fuck were you smoking, do you have ANY idea how sought after those translucent wilkins grips are? Especially for that make and model of benchmade!

seriously "my edc will get dirty" is the most idiotic reasoning ive ever heard. Last time i checked, shit that you carry EVERYDAY is going to get used, dirty, broken, non-functional, and eventually you will have to replace it. Thats the wabi-sabi of the EDC...yet you take perfectly good wilkins scales (which are EXTREMELY had to find, and are pretty prized)

and you dye it standard black? Thats absolutely idiotic. I would have sold the scales, bought some black ceramic, or black g10. Now you're going to have an even more filthy, porous handle for your blade because you're not going to be able to SEE the dirt.

Fail.

for christ sake

those scales alone from wilkins direct are 100 euro!!

and you take them, dye them and make the knife look like a 80 dollar stock benchmade...its idiotic

oh and by the way i just got conformation that my cqc-6 from emerson is on its way!

Guest Bespoke
you sir,

are a fucking dumbass for taking rit dye to scales that alone -

are worth like...75-80 bucks, what the fuck were you smoking, do you have ANY idea how sought after those translucent wilkins grips are? Especially for that make and model of benchmade!

seriously "my edc will get dirty" is the most idiotic reasoning ive ever heard. Last time i checked, shit that you carry EVERYDAY is going to get used, dirty, broken, non-functional, and eventually you will have to replace it. Thats the wabi-sabi of the EDC...yet you take perfectly good wilkins scales (which are EXTREMELY had to find, and are pretty prized)

and you dye it standard black? Thats absolutely idiotic. I would have sold the scales, bought some black ceramic, or black g10. Now you're going to have an even more filthy, porous handle for your blade because you're not going to be able to SEE the dirt.

Fail.

Did you cry yet?

does it look like thats something to cry over you dumb ass bitch?

gtfoutta here man

I know what i know, and i'm entitled to my opinion, so if you dont like it, fuck off.

i'm not even sayin du cant do whatever he wants to, i just think it would be more practical to NOT spend an additional 100 bucks on a grip that you're gonna dye, especially considering its rarity

well, if he did it so that the scales are still translucent then that's kinda cool

i forgot that those were aftermarket grips lol. i dyed my stock scale cuz i didnt wanna spent 90 on a textured black scale, although the pivot collar thing is really cool..

ANYWAY…

When I invested in the grip, I was investing in a knife I was going to cary for a while. And after I grew unhappy with the grip visually, I modified it to MY taste. I hope this is ok with everyone.

BTW, the Leafstorm grip is $80, The Mini-Grip is $140. ZING!!!

nope, http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=BM557P

I got my grip from his only US authorized dealer. here

I personally think spending 140 dollars on a 60 dollar knife is kind of... how do I say this...

stupid.

And not only did you spend 140 dollars, but you spent a little more to make those grips the exact same color as your old ones!

kenneth: yeah it's more of a matte finish than the standard painted ones. and the parkerized ones say BENCHMADE USA instead of just BENCHMADE.

the finish lasts a lot longer. won't chip off, but it is kinda prone to scratches. better than chipping off and showing the silver.

and even though those scales look the same as stock, g10 scales and valox (i think) feel A LOT different. custom scales aren't just for looks guise.

my first photographic contribution to this thread. Mostly for posterity since a new knife is en route . . . au revoir opinel.

DSCN6205.jpg?t=1275523835

black diamond carabiner

pilot precise V5 - very fine

pentel graphgear 500 0.3

opinel no. 8

tg cardholder - natural

moleskine squared cahier (covered in bar wrap and edged with packing tape to prevent it from falling apart.)

my mind is still absolutely boggled from how incredibly stupid dyeing those grips is/was...especially after you showed us how much they actually cost on the secondary market...those grips alone you could probably flip for at least 20-25 dollars more on bladeforums because they are pretty damn hard to find

i mean, i understand its your knife, and its up to you, but for christ sake you might as well have taken 155.00 dollars plus shipping costs and lit it on fire, or sent it to me, or bought a better benchmade for that price

better yet, you could have taken that 155.00 plus the 60 dollar cost of your benchmade and bought a a more bad ass spyderco military, pre-owned strider pt or sebenza, or like...a 710 McHenry and Williams, Lum Forester, or like...20 other benchmade models alone

you've effectively turned a 200+ dollar, bad ass, sought after knife into a generic looking 200+ POS

and also, where the fuck is your thumbstud??