edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

The whole thing was so fucking surreal, and honestly, it was pretty fucking scary to think that if I had my knife on me I could have possibly killed two men. I'm not going all anti-knife, but I think assessing the reality of using it is something we all have to do.

+rep for defending you and your friend.

Personally I could never use the blade for self defense[unless dying]. Glass breaker side however is 'attack at will'!

Crazy story, I can't help but think that if you did have a knife and escalated the stakes to that level things might not have worked out as well as they did in the end. Something for everyone who carries to think hard about.

You HAVE to send Atwood an email with your story, he'll probably be very interested in hearing about it.

Im looking for this earphone winder thing, its a little piece of metal or plastic with grooves to wrap the cord around. It was just a bare rod, really simple. I think it was posted here.

sounds like a kubaton? i don't remember it being used for that... i'm certain you could make one yourself out of wood.

edit* nard corrected me.

sumajin smartwrap

sumajin_smartwrap.jpg

I've been trying to find an amazing fixed blade for some time now. I've tried the various Benchmades and a couple other makers including Busse and Emerson.

knifeart210447112795.jpg

What about this Chris Reeves One-Piece Knife? Has a hollow handle with removable cap. Thought that might interest fellow EDC-ers.

However, I'm also looking at Zero Tolerance and Strider Fixed Blades... So tempting.

sounds like a kubaton? i don't remember it being used for that... i'm certain you could make one yourself out of wood.

edit* nard corrected me.

sumajin smartwrap

This is cool. It looks like it definitely makes it easy to pocket carry and be organized. I am however, concerned about the possibility of something snagging on to the cable while being exposed. I use a Shure case that came with my E2c's(now deceased). Love its design, I just throw it my daypack.

4637802301_46bdef5e4c.jpg

4637804237_f84c8dc6b7.jpg

4637808149_4e6196db21.jpg

yo neonecko, how do you like the DAP/amp/earbud setup? i used to do that in highschool but it was too cumbersome to carry. do you not like IEMs jw?

IMG_0842.jpg

i forget who made this one, but i sold it.

and i cant find pics of the CMOY i made when i was in 9th grade :(

I've been trying to find an amazing fixed blade for some time now. I've tried the various Benchmades and a couple other makers including Busse and Emerson.

What about this Chris Reeves One-Piece Knife? Has a hollow handle with removable cap. Thought that might interest fellow EDC-ers.

However, I'm also looking at Zero Tolerance and Strider Fixed Blades... So tempting.

Very nice but an expensive knife (for some) and i'm not sold on the round handle. If you're looking for a beastly knife, look at the ESEE / RAT RC6. Friend has one and it's a beast.

yo neonecko, how do you like the DAP/amp/earbud setup? i used to do that in highschool but it was too cumbersome to carry. do you not like IEMs jw?

I actually like IEMs a lot. But they hurt my ears with extended use. Thats why I just opted to get earbuds this time around.

Love the set up that I am using now. I know an amp is unnecessary for 'normal' use like with an iPod. However, because of the high impedance of the PK1s, it REQUIRES an amp to get the full spectrum of sound. Otherwise it would be nothing special. The amp is slightly larger then the size of my Clip. I stuck velcro to both the Clip and the T4 so that they can stay attached to each other without being cumbersome. My only gripe is that I had to sacrifice memory for portability(Can't complain too much though because the Clip was only $30). 8gb is just not enough when downloading music in FLAC. As such I now only put 320 & v0 files on there to save space.

Yes, its overkill. And its not for everyone. Fortunately for me my rig is very small.

4640425340_fe52a6cbb1.jpg

4639798771_2b3a78ba4b.jpg

http://www.conterra-inc.com/ They make bags that will stand up to some heavy abuse. If you're looking for pre-assembled kits I'd go with Adventure Medical Kits. http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/

I have a full kit in my car, If I had to do CPR and didnt have a mask, I'd just do compressions, which is as good as, if not better, than giving breaths.

I'll take pictures of the one I use in the next day or two.

And if anyone has specific or general EMS/ first aid questions. let me know.

EDIT: Also, superglue won't do anything for major cuts and lacerations. It may be okay for stuff that isn't deep is less than an inch, but anything over that I'd use butterflies, stitches if possible.

Thanks a lot for the first aid kid links, its just what I was looking for.

The adhesive is more for any wipeouts on a longboard before a day of lectures so I don't bleed all day. My old workout partner used to call me stigmata from all the random cuts and bleeding I'd get from lifting.

Personally, if it was a kid or a healthy looking young adult I'd use a strip of plastic with a hole in it for breathing or a scrap of cloth... I know I'm clean. The realities of CPR are pretty brutal though; I'm glad that my municipality has placed AEDs in every public building around town. Even still, if someones flatlined, they're still pretty SOL unless they're a young kid. I'm looking to take my First Responder training this fall if I make it onto my schools Emergency First Response Team... I failed the tryout two years back because I did CPR C standards instead of the CPR HCP standards they were looking for. Damn lifeguarding brainwashing me into CPR C no matter how hard I try to do HCP haha

Oh I do have an EMS question for you that I was thinking about the other week when I was going over my pathology notes... sucking chest wound. I was taught a while back that an ideal first aid treatment would be to tape a credit card to the wound to create a one way valve outwards, but I'm guessing that scenario makes a few assumptions about the anatomy of the wound that are a little inappropriate and finicky for an emergency, especially when managing shock. So would it be better to simply seal the wound as best as possible with gauze and not worry about the pneumothorax?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-03-31-cpr-compression-only_N.htm

Compression only CPR is 'better' and is used in some countries. The US is very slow to adapt to new medical procedures, but there is a ton of evidence for switching to compression only cpr.

Medics use saran wrap for a sucking chest wound, taped on 3 sides. You essentially create a one-way valve that closes on inhalation. If you use gauze, air will be let in and can and will usually collapse the lung.

As for road-rash injuries, get non-adherent gauze. It won't stick to the abrasion when you try to take it off. That, some adhesive tape, kerlix, triple antibiotic cream, and cloth band-aids should keep you patched up.

Very nice but an expensive knife (for some) and i'm not sold on the round handle. If you're looking for a beastly knife, look at the ESEE / RAT RC6. Friend has one and it's a beast.

The round handle and one piece construction were the two features I liked most. Hate having edges on a knife handle to dig into my hand. I've tried a couple RAT knives but want something more corrosion resistant. Looking at picking up the Strider x TADgear Dive Utility Knife and then using a rubber and micarta grip

@35percent

That USAtoday link was really interesting. I've heard similar stuff from my training as a lifeguard and we're certainly heading towards a simpler compression only CPR with the 30:2 revisions. The problem is that until I get trained to use hands only, I might be putting myself liable for a lawsuit if I chose to ignore my training and use compression only if I had access to a pocket mask... That reminds me, I think my CPR certification expires next month.

Oh funny story btw: I heard a lifeguard in my area a few years back was treating a VSA and instead of actually breathing into the victim, they bent over by their ear and said "BREATH" instead of ventilating.

The round handle and one piece construction were the two features I liked most. Hate having edges on a knife handle to dig into my hand. I've tried a couple RAT knives but want something more corrosion resistant. Looking at picking up the Strider x TADgear Dive Utility Knife and then using a rubber and micarta grip

Go for it!

@35percent

That USAtoday link was really interesting. I've heard similar stuff from my training as a lifeguard and we're certainly heading towards a simpler compression only CPR with the 30:2 revisions. The problem is that until I get trained to use hands only, I might be putting myself liable for a lawsuit if I chose to ignore my training and use compression only if I had access to a pocket mask... That reminds me, I think my CPR certification expires next month.

Oh funny story btw: I heard a lifeguard in my area a few years back was treating a VSA and instead of actually breathing into the victim, they bent over by their ear and said "BREATH" instead of ventilating.

Mask or a pocket shield? Pocket shields are junk IMO. You don't have to be trained to do compression only, you just don't give breaths. Good samaritan laws will protect you against a lawsuit, it's within your scope of training. If I arrived on scene and a bystander said they were doing continuous compressions, I would be thrilled, and write it in my report as CPR initiated by bystander.

But hey, if you want to risk infection, getting vomited on, or possibly contracting a disease by doing an intervention that is on its way out, be my guest.

Somewhat more on topic, my EDC weighs 1 pound 4 ounces.