edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

Anyone own the Spyderco Para 2 and is able to comment on it? My local knife shop is taking pre-orders for a re-release even though there is no ETA, so I am wondering if it is worth the investment.

thnx

I love the blade shape on my military, and looking at the para 2, I like the changes they've made to it. Only thing I might not like on it is the locking mechanism, but i haven't felt it so I might be completely wrong.

since a lot of EDC guys are into most utility out of minimal items, how many of you guys drive hatchbacks?

from what i remember/noticed, i know that wildstyle and zissou both drive VW hatchbacks (as do i).

i know thats not that many examples but im guessing/thinking there might be some correlation.

edit: not exactly minimalist more like minimal.

I drive a GMC Jimmy, its a smaller SUV but in back I carry all my tools(I could pretty fix anything I needed to in a house and car), FA kit, wool and fleece blanket, axe, saws, drill, flashlights, extra fluids for the car, a siphon, tow cables, jumper cables, a change of clothes, warm clothes for winter, flares, water and food, 100lbs of heavy rock salt in winter, shovel in winter, and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting. I'm working on making another box for my trunk so it's a bit more organized, I'll post pics when I get a chance.

This is mostly because I need all my tools for work, but also because I do a lot of hiking/backpacking, and I could potentially be in one of those "worst case scenarios" where I might not have cell coverage, so I need to have that stuff in there.

I also carry state maps of the surrounding 5 states and canada in my car, and yes, I've had to use them a few times (I had to bug out of Iowa City due to floods, and found myself on county roads because other ones were flooded.)

Also have this mounted to my armrest/center console so I can break glass or cut my seatbelt if I need to.41YCD8805YL._SS400_.jpg

Once I get everything set up the way I like it I'll make a video of my vehicle and what's in it.

I love the blade shape on my military, and looking at the para 2, I like the changes they've made to it. Only thing I might not like on it is the locking mechanism, but i haven't felt it so I might be completely wrong.

I have the Caly 3 and after looking over the Para 2 (especially when looking at its upgrades from previous models) I think it would be a solid knife. It is getting towards the end of the scale for EDC in terms of length for me though.

What are some people's opinions on blade length for EDC?

What is everyone's preferred length?

i have L-XL hands but the military is okay. i find it a little awkward to hold and i prefer the way benchmades fit in hand. the spydiehole bothers my long thumbs, which causes me to hold it a little funny, whereas benchmades are way more ergonomic for me. i can saber, precision, power grip just wonderfully. whatever that means.

also, i might be selling my ti miltary, d2 paramilitary and i've been trying to sell my white frn endura. all of which are almost new-mint.

someone say aggressive?? :-D

emerson specwar viper 3 with chisel ground blade and black micarta scales:

img3409e.jpg

emerson super cqc6 -

img3415b.jpg

snody custom hybrid - black g10 with blue/purple anodized ti liners

img3416g.jpg

the gang:

img3420d.jpg

I want to pick up a new 4sevens light. Figure may as well. Current sale puts lights at 18-28% off including the cpf discount.

Was considering the miniCR2 first, then I figured if I was going to consider that, I was better off getting the mini123. At first the mini123 thread play problems got me kind of worried, then I got over it and said I'd just put teflon tape on the threads.

But then I realized that I really want to use rechargeables and the mini123 would not mix well with li-ions, even if I got LiFePO4's.

So now I'm looking at the regular Quark 123's. I like that the head will be able to use regular voltage rcr123's and that there are a lot of possibilities for lego if I ever want to go back to AA's or try 18650's.

I dont know which version to get though, regular or tactical UI. The tactical is $6 cheaper right now and I do really like momentary. However I dont know how I would adapt to 2 modes. Primary would be the max of course and for the secondary I'd probably use low or medium. Moonmode seems like it can be useful though.

With the regular I like that all modes are accessible and that max/strobe are separated from the others. And I guess tailstanding is a main point.

I wish there was a way for like a 3 mode tactical presets or the regular UI with momentary. Those features directly clash though.

I feel like I should just suck it up, get the tactical, find the secondary mode I like, and stick with it. No one needs more than a full and one lower brightness right? (the average person at least)

damn I've been reading through this thread and I still can't decide on what knife to buy for edc in NYC and Boston just for everyday tasks. I want whatever I get to fit really easily into the coin pocket of my jeans. Would a d-fly be right or should I go smaller?

Dragonfly is already small but I believe it still has a clip. If you're going to put it in the coin pocket maybe you don't want a clip so it's slimmer? Everything below the dragonfly doesn't have a clip; ladybug, grasshopper, bug.

oh and YO BERN! Fenix e05 review this coming weekend?

I've been watching ebay for a dragonfly for a while now since I've been wanting a new, mini edc blade but I'm going to give up since I just bought a new light.

That G10 dragonfly with wire clip is pure sex though.

And ubiquitous, you being in NYC, to be safe I'd tell you to go with as small of a knife that you are comfortable with because NYC is known for its strict knife laws and even stricter police enforcing them.

Max blade length in Boston is 2.5" -- so Dragonfly works. I really liked my G10 Dragonfly -- until I lost it out of my back pocket clearing brush up in VT couple weeks ago. I chose an orange Urban Wharncliffe to replace it -- also a good option if you aren't wedded to a lock. Blade at 2 9/16" is close enough to 2.5" that I don't think it would cause you problems.

But yeah, the g10 Dragonfly is one of my favorite Spyercos. Super-solid feel in a small package.

KOR Deltas are out. 20% off their site w/ TWEETDELTA. meanwhile, amazon has KOR ONEs for like 13-16 bucks shipped via Prime.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662744/how-kor-redesigned-its-water-bottles-using-customer-feedback

handle redesign, base redesign, 2 sizes and I thiiiiink the hinge is improved. Not too sure about it tho.

KorDelta_7.jpg