edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

you guys are hung up on the tree limbs. he doesn't walk around all day sawing at trees with a folder. lol

(in all honesty i included that to preempt the "why the need for a combo blade arg.")

just wanted something that would stay sharper than his current shit-knife, which is a folder. really was hoping you guys might have some alternate suggestion like the hatchet. that was a good idea but not practical enough. i'm thinking a fixed blade might be the most functional but need to chat with him about if he would carry it.

a simple upgrade of his shitty knife might be all that is necessary. i would like to buy him something nice.

i'll look into the roselli.

i checked out the spartan.

thanks.

Maybe a Roselli?

Definitely and amazing, durable, excellent feeling, and resilient knife. No combo edge though. Hardness and blade toughness are usually mutually exclusive unless it's a damascus blade, so I wouldn't get too hung up on how hard it is and just get something you really think he'll LOVE, which is ultimately what counts.

you guys are hung up on the tree limbs. he doesn't walk around all day sawing at trees with a folder. lol

(in all honesty i included that to preempt the "why the need for a combo blade arg.")

just wanted something that would stay sharper than his current shit-knife, which is a folder. really was hoping you guys might have some alternate suggestion like the hatchet. that was a good idea but not practical enough. i'm thinking a fixed blade might be the most functional but need to chat with him about if he would carry it.

a simple upgrade of his shitty knife might be all that is necessary. i would like to buy him something nice.

i'll look into the roselli.

i checked out the spartan.

thanks.

One more vote to Roselli. They are not fancy collectors knives but meant for business. I've driven couple of times to Roselli's forgery when I've needed a new puukko just to "fondle" stuff... :)

Definitely get the UHC steel bladed.

I think a 4-5" fixed blade might be good?

Greater than 5", the knife is either going to be a hunting knive or something to handle light hatchet work. A heavy knife (that's still smaller than a machete) can easily clear away green branches and split softwoods into kindling.

Hunting knives for general carry will look excessively aggressive, whereas a smoother shaped knife will get the job done and be far more gentlemanly about it...

One more vote to Roselli. They are not fancy collectors knives but meant for business.

Definitely get the UHC steel bladed.

I think a 4-5" fixed blade might be good?

A heavy knife (that's still smaller than a machete) can easily clear away green branches and split softwoods into kindling.

Hunting knives for general carry will look excessively aggressive, whereas a smoother shaped knife will get the job done and be far more gentlemanly about it...

yes and yes.

I like these ideas. I checked Roselli's sight and and they sell three models.

sorry to sound newbish. but can someone sell me on these. I don't know enough about knives in general much less steel quality an dknife shape to make an educated purchase. sorry i'm a bit "impaired" right now. i will go back and look and Roselli's website again.

+rep where i can.

many thanks

Roselli knives are first, working knives. They have stable, tough, beautiful wood handles that are very ergonomic as well as easy to grip and a pleasure to hold, and allow using the knife firmly without fatigue.

Steel used is forged high-end Swedish steel which has long been used in the best hand-tools for custom cabinet makers. It has the advantage of being tough and durable, while still taking a fine edge and is easy to sharpen.

They make about ten knives that are over 3", in both the 59-62 HRC and 64-66 HRC ultra-high carbon range.

To me they are the end all in a fixed blade knife, for someone that wants a lovely TOOL that they can use and easily take care of and isn't a fussy collector or enthusiast. Something nice that works well, looks good, and feels good to use.

Roselli knives are first, working knives. They have stable, tough, beautiful wood handles that are very ergonomic as well as easy to grip and a pleasure to hold, and allow using the knife firmly without fatigue.

Steel used is forged high-end Swedish steel which has long been used in the best hand-tools for custom cabinet makers. It has the advantage of being tough and durable, while still taking a fine edge and is easy to sharpen.

They make about ten knives that are over 3", in both the 59-62 HRC and 64-66 HRC ultra-high carbon range.

To me they are the end all in a fixed blade knife, for someone that wants a lovely TOOL that they can use and easily take care of and isn't a fussy collector or enthusiast. Something nice that works well, looks good, and feels good to use.

I browse this thread pretty frequently, don't dig most of the stuff on here (I'm not into the Navy SEAL type style), but I am seriously considering one of these knives. +rep and thanks.

Quick question,

So I'm planning on buying several lights over the next few months to test out what the best EDC light for me is. I figured I'd ask the most knowledgeable folks on the planet. I'm looking for something relatively small that uses 1 cr123 (I plan to get a Fenix tk12r5 for my bag). Also I would prefer this light have an easily accessible strobe setting. IMHO strobe is best for disorientation. Right now I have a TI Quark 123, but I'm also going to pick up a Fenix PD20, and a Quark Tactical, are there other lights I should look into for comparison? Also if possible I'd like to spend <=$200.00

paladin03 - Strobe is best for disorientation? In what situation, a potential threat or attacker? In all reality unluss you have the strobe setting as a primary, by the time you get your light into the fight, you won't have time to dick around clicking it to strobe.

You want a 100-150+ lumen solid beam to temporarily blind them, and then you run. This will happen in a few seconds, as soon as you see them wince from the light, you take off. Strobing won't have much effect and you want to expose your light and yourself as little as possible.

Nitecore has some decent lights for relatively cheap. I have a Nitecore EX10 Smart PD R2 and I've been carrying on my keychain for about a year. I'm pretty tough on my lights and aside from the anodizing wearing of a bit it's held up great.

agreed with 35. I suggest you sacrifice easily accessible strobe for an overall better light. i'm a flashaholic and believe me i've been through the "must get a tactical strobing self defense flashlight" and now that thing is collecting dust in the kitchen. it's not as practical as you'd imagine.

i'd skip over Fenix's 1 cell offerings since they're behind the curve and offer nothing new. If you have a Quark regular you will have everything and more than a Fenix PD20 or PD20+ does. The Tactical just changes the interface but you get more or less the same flashlight. You can try the EX10, I've read about a lot of reliability issues with the piston tho. I imagine those people use theirs often tho..

you can check out jetbeam, i think they have the rrt-0 which is single 123, but it might be on the larger side.

be sure to look around candlepowerforums, they're way more knowledgable than us combined.

having owned a Quark 123 (regular) for several months now, I'd have to say it may be what you're looking for. I initially wanted the tactical version, but the guys here convinced me that the regular version is much more user-friendly.

all you have to do is twist the barrel, and you have instant access to the two "emergency" modes: Full power and strobe. Normally I keep it untwisted because I use the lower-power modes to navigate the dark, but when I feel that I might be in an uneasy situation, I twist the barrel in advance so it's ready to go if I need to blind an opponent.

Hmn... Thanks for all the great advice. I think the quark regular is probably the best bet. Any opinions on the clip or no clip? Is the clip good like the surefire or is it flimsy...

Also, If you can run, I'd agree that a single bright burst of light would be most effective, but I can't plan on always being in a situation where running is an option. I might have a friend with me, I might be somewhere unfamiliar, I might be in an enclosed area etc... In that case I think a strobe might allow for a slight time advantage against an assailant. I'm thinking about crowded in door areas, clubs, bars, conventions, sporting events, etc. basically places I take take people I care about to enjoy a good time, IMHO its always best to be prepared.