edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

Seems extremely trivial that a NYC cop would hassle someone on a bike for knife like that. I'm sure there's more important things they could be doing.

That's also why I don't carry my knife in my pocket, it just profiles you a bit. IWB at 4 o'clock, clip under belt = nobody knows you have a blade on you.

Got stopped once in NYC cause the cop saw the pocket clip on my skeletool. He checked it out and told me to keep it tucked inside my pocket to avoid trouble in the future. Though Im sure if it was just a straight up folder he'd have confiscated it for sure.

That sucks.

I recently walked up to a couple of cops at a Starbucks just to be sure of the laws, be completely sure of the law around here. I show them both my SOG Access Card BK (2.75") and my SOG Aegis BK (3.5") and they were cool about it. They told me to keep the SOG at home, because the law for LA County is 3" and that my Access Card is fine. They also warned that it's usually best to get a 2.5" blade because some cops will actually measure the entire blade, from tip to handle, including un-sharpened areas.

Branes....

i think a lot of the legal code that gets tossed around is used once a crime has been perpetrated

meaning that these laws are only enforced once something bad has gone down

i really dont think the pigs are out to punish, or really even look for people, who have knives unless they use them in an agressive fashion...

^^ i'm pretty sure this is the best description of the common sense of it.

as far as using your knife as a tool for self defense against a potentially lethal attacker, don't pull it out unless you plan to kill them before they kill you. if your blade is longer than legal, save yourself, then let the law worry about it. (disclaimer: only take this advice after consulting your local statutues... some less redneck areas of the country will probably not help you for killing someone in self defense)

That sucks.

I recently walked up to a couple of cops at a Starbucks just to be sure of the laws, be completely sure of the law around here. I show them both my SOG Access Card BK (2.75") and my SOG Aegis BK (3.5") and they were cool about it. They told me to keep the SOG at home, because the law for LA County is 3" and that my Access Card is fine. They also warned that it's usually best to get a 2.5" blade because some cops will actually measure the entire blade, from tip to handle, including un-sharpened areas.

that would be douche of the cops to measure.

on a related note, i decided to up my daily carry from a puny 2.5" delica 4 to a more robust and slightly more illegal 3.5" endura 4.

the delica is a little beat (scratches/gouges on handle and sractches on blade from real use) and needs some tlc from prospective new owner, but would anyone wanna trade for edc related goodies? (would be willing to hear about other edc stuff from sunglasses to watches to prybars to flashlights to keyhooks, etc. you get the idea). lemme know in pm and i can send pics or info or whatever.

you know i was thinking about this after having a convo with another member on here about the pricing of the sebenza knife.

honestly, my opinion towards this blade is that it is simply 'eye candy' - meaning that it lack functionality, and to me, is not worth the price it commands. 330 for the small and 385 for the large?? You have to be kidding me.

i understand that the fit and finish of the sebenza is second to none. I have owned both a small and a large and can say that its so nice, i feel bad using it. I can see small scratches on the handle (due to beadblast finish) after it was in my pocket for a day. People will argue that it is the 'wabi-sabi' aspect of the knife - it wears in like a pair of crisp japanese denim - but to me, i just dont dig it.

I really respect Chris Reeve as a knife maker and pioneer in the field...after all he is the one that designed the framelock, so there is no doubt that the lockup and overall durability of the sebenza is legit as well. However, i think it sucks that CRK doesnt consider a fast deployment of the blade as being covered under warranty. I.E - 'flicking' the blade out using the thumbstub damages the knife...I would expect a blade that is in that price range to be able to withstand something like that - based on this, im pretty sure i could say that if i had to use it in a survival situation. I would be screwed due to a lack of practicality and usablity in said blade. For 400+ dollars i demand usablity

im not picky. Personally i am a fan of strider, emerson, and hinderer knives. Blade that are mean, tough, and ready to do real damage whenever necessary. All these companies offer a 'no questions asked' warranty that covers their blades. Now THAT is legit and im also ready and willing to fork out 400+ for a blade with that type of coverage

i currently EDC and rotate between

a strider SMF - stonewash with gunner grips - like kenthenoob's but larger

Emerson Custom CQC12 - Ti Liners and Green Micarta Handles, Handground blade by the man himself

Hinderer XM-18 3.5 Inch Non Flip w/ Blade G-10. Custom built by Rick Hinderer.

i'll get pictures up soon

also have another SMF with standard ranger green g-10 and a DB on the way!:D:D:D:D:D

paging branedog

my nitecore EZAA is going tits up on me

i don't have the lower mode just high (if i can get it)

it is running on a fresh eneloop

it feels really gritty when i turn it and i have to tighten it up pretty tight to get any kind of light out of its urethra

i've heard that cleaning/lubing this lil lady is a must but what to use? wd-40? i am in the dark here

tempted to just shell out for one of them AA maratac joints

but i'm not trying to get a new light every four months

and i'm feeling kinda burned on these twisties

thing is i don't want a clicky that require the user to hold an advanced degree in engineering; just click to low, click to med, click to high would be nice

HALP!

(today i am edc-ing a GEC Tidioute Scout with bocote scales along with my trusty Case canoe CV in amber bone. lost my dang peanut)

paging branedog

it feels really gritty when i turn it and i have to tighten it up pretty tight to get any kind of light out of its urethra

i've heard that cleaning/lubing this lil lady is a must but what to use? wd-40? i am in the dark here

)

i got you bro.

this just means that the spring is over compressed, that's why you have to twist more to get light.

try uncompressing the spring by prying it or something.

BUT BE VERY GENTLE DU.

when branes and i tried it, our springs snapped.

but i emailed 4sevens last week and they said they'll ship me one if i send mine in. i just sent mine today.

@Chris: 3rd Law of Thermodynamics

paging branedog

(today i am edc-ing a GEC Tidioute Scout with bocote scales along with my trusty Case canoe CV in amber bone. lost my dang peanut)

The spring on yours is probably overcompressed -- at some point you must have overtwisted or something. Unfortunately I have no idea of servicing this yourself -- both jonle and I tried and ended up scrapping out CR2s this way. While the EZAA is a great light in terms of UI, size and other specs apparently it just doesn't stand up to abuse the way a Nitecore should. I apologize for hyping it up, but at the price 4sevens was selling them at, you couldn't really go too wrong.

If you're looking for a replacement AA light with the standard low-med-high UI, you're looking for a reverse clicky. Most "non-tactical"/general purpose EDC lights have this kind of switch (Quark Regular line, for example.)

Is size an issue? Other requirements?

In the meantime, try giving 4sevens an email. They'll take care of you but it might take some time :[ PM me if you don't want to clutter threak. B)

^ you're assuming that i own all of the hyped up flashlights and use all of them to an extent that i can fairly assess their durability

im just a nerd who collects and studies portable illumination technology.

:(

I wouldn't say they're hyped, they've earned there reputations as good flashlights for a reason. Surefire, Nitecore, Fenix, Quark, Matrac, Olight, and others are all durable and pretty bomb proof. If you want specific reviews, look on youtube or http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

Used my izula to save my lime because I got a gigantic shot of patron. And yes that's patron and PBR, deal with it.

021110220901.jpg