edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

This is somewhat related

what are your thoughts/philosophy on redundancy? Can redundancy and minimalism coexist?

I feel like my edc is rather minimalist but I still have 3 knives, 2 flashlights, etc with me...

Ehh not really. True minimalism would be having the smallest, lightest setup possible as your edc (one blade, photon, money clip) while still being useful. Redundancy is great for SHTF situation, and carrying deep can be useful, but it's in no way minimalistic.

I would say there are ways to be minamalisticly redundant, having the smallest, lightest secondaries.

For backpacking there are very few things that I am redundant with, and if I am, it's going to be a barebones backup.

i should have said, i want some para cord, all knoted up like that, so i have the option to untangle it and use it as well as easy carry. that would be dope, anyone who c an do that i will be really fucking happy to compinsate however they see fit, i dont know how to tie knots like that all nice.

help!

Yeah my buddy has one for flipping and it's mildly amusing but not entirely useful as a pen. They're really small to me, and I already suffer from tiny azn hand syndrome.

And I think that roman SAK was posted earlier in this thread..

Bumped into my ochem professor before class in the bathroom.. he asked me how i was doing, i said fine, then asked what knife he carried (lol of all things to ask your ochem teacher..)

it's a used as fck black benchmade mini grip with a nice patina on the black blade, the black clip finish is already worn down to bare silver..

he let me play with it and it didnt seem to deploy very fast, not like a spyderco, maybe I'm not used to deploying bigger knives? the axis lock or whatever is interesting too.. im too used to frame/liner locks.

ANYWAY yeah my life is basically ochem and edc right now B)

Just got out of Material Science lab and today's lab is Rockwell Hardness test.

After the lab, I asked if I could throw on the Atwood Metwrench and got a high (78.9 HRC) and the professor was impressed since he never tested anything that high yet on the machine. This is also coming from a professor who EDCs a multitool and a multipen, along with having a flashlight in the room.

^ nah, the utilikey sacrifices usability by putting lots of tools into such a small/compact design. you have to use the blade for extra leverage on the bottle opener (unsafe), you have to use the blade as a handle when using the drivers (unsafe) and the thing is just too small/flimsy to get any real force behind it.

i have 2 of them (silver and gold) and i ditched them for a swiss army knife B)

^ nah, the utilikey sacrifices usability by putting lots of tools into such a small/compact design. you have to use the blade for extra leverage on the bottle opener (unsafe), you have to use the blade as a handle when using the drivers (unsafe) and the thing is just too small/flimsy to get any real force behind it.

i have 2 of them (silver and gold) and i ditched them for a swiss army knife B)

the blade isn't really that sharp to be considered "unsafe".

I use my utilikey pretty much every day. It's a nifty cool to have and almost everyone that notices it, comments on it. I then do my best to steer them away from it for the same reasons bran suggested. I've cut myself with it a few times and its always so precarious to open the thing- that's actually when I tend to cut myself. Its really handy but poorly designed.

keep it L shaped and use the non bottle opening side as leverage? that's what I do at least.

OK, I now I am a bit slow. What you describe is what is natural to me to try, BUT, the key hinges the wrong way for this, no? The way you would push on the other side collapses the whole thing (the way I am picturing it).

Dear Moleskine carriers,

would anyone be down to buy one of these cartesios? real leather and not bullshit fake moleskin, has a folder in back, check the review here: http://blackcover.net/?p=26

I want to buy one but they're only sold in the UK, and the total price for 3 (3 for 2 discount) comes out to ~$50 with shipping. i figure i can get one and sell the other 2 and it won't be AS expensive as just buying one alone.

also comes in red wine (which is the cw im getting- DOPE: http://thejournalshop.com/acatalog/cartesio-winered-500.jpg) and sea green (also nice: http://thejournalshop.com/acatalog/cartesio-seagreen-500.jpg) and black.

if two people can commit to buying em at like $17shipped to you, i can order these. ruled or unruled(i think), any of the 4 colors.

let me know!

cartesio-orange-500.jpg

yea how big are they? I want a nice quality black notebook to replace my mnemosyne which is too long for the jeans i edw right now (i might do a blog post on jawn pocket edc compatibility analysis etc)

and i trust your judgment that these are worth the $$$ B)

they're 3.5 x 5.5 in., same size as a standard moleskine

which barely peeks out of the backpocket of my denimes

3997006034_8df073968c.jpg

mostdef worth the cash. it was either this or the Stifflexible, but the latter doesn't have a discount and isn't leather bound.

if you're down give me a color and a ruled or unruled option and i'll buy them.

jonle you want the unruled right? so thats 2 red wine unruleds :P

Moleskines are doodoo anyway; the paper is cheap and the binding is w/e for the $15 they want per book.

Lmk from those of you guys who get them how they work out. I'm interested in the binding mostly. I've been checking them out, along with the Cartesio's and Alwych's.

Stifflexibles are really good tho if you don't end up getting the Cartesio's. They're my fave.