edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

is the Quark mini 123 "neutral white" comparable to HID lights on a car? And the Quark mini 123 is more of a natural light?

I'm sure I missed comparison pics somewhere on this thread..

RnLcR2LNPpQ

EZCR2w has a CREE XR-E Q3 5A emitter which basically has a "warm"er tint, around ~4000 Kelvin on the color temperature range.

I bought the warm emitter because at the sacrifice of a few lumens, maybe like 30ish (which is very hard to tell anyway when it gets upwards 100 lumens), you get what's called higher color rendition. If you notice, lots of LEDs and "white" lights are actually "cool" or bluer in tint -- similar to fluorescent lighting vs incandescent (not really the same, but it sort of works here.)

Here's a pic of the beamshot:

10320_298187135113_785270113_9136129_1230371_n.jpg

maybe about 1m from the wall. notice how the hotspot/center seems very bright, but on the side the spill isn't really blue/purpley.

A good visual example of the difference between neutral and cool and their applications is this outdoors shot of me grilling at night. The first pic shows the burgers under neutral light.

10320_269075285113_785270113_8662321_8200900_n.jpg

Neutral light seems to cut better through fog/smoke than cool, has to do w/ refractive/reflective properties and shiet that I don't know too much about.

another shot of the burgers under neutral light, cutting through some thick ass smoke here

10320_269078995113_785270113_8662414_201063_n.jpg

Compare to cool white XP-E q5:

10320_269086505113_785270113_8662613_1433921_n.jpg

the beam is noticeably bluer and the burgers do not look as appealing as they are brown but blue can't really reflect brown very well.

in summary, neutral white offers higher color renditioning and a tint closer to natural sunlight (like incandescent but not as yellow) at the expense of output

EDIT: note that only the beamshot pic is the actual EZCR2. the other pics are eagletac p10c2 NW and fenix pd20 cool white for demo purposes. if you're looking into the ezcr2 i'd warn you not to overtighten or you'll break the spring like I did, to cop duracell cr2s from batteryjunction and use cpf2009 at checkout, and to clean and lube the threads when you finally get it. :)

TLDR VERSION

HID is cool white/bluish, that's the normal Mini 123

Neutral white is closer to the sun

is the Quark mini 123 "neutral white" comparable to HID lights on a car? And the Quark mini 123 is more of a natural light?

I'm sure I missed comparison pics somewhere on this thread..

RnLcR2LNPpQ

EZCR2w has a CREE XR-E Q3 5A emitter which basically has a "warm"er tint, around ~4000 Kelvin on the color temperature range.

I bought the warm emitter because at the sacrifice of a few lumens, maybe like 30ish (which is very hard to tell anyway when it gets upwards 100 lumens), you get what's called higher color rendition. If you notice, lots of LEDs and "white" lights are actually "cool" or bluer in tint -- similar to fluorescent lighting vs incandescent (not really the same, but it sort of works here.)

Here's a pic of the beamshot:

10320_298187135113_785270113_9136129_1230371_n.jpg

maybe about 1m from the wall. notice how the hotspot/center seems very bright, but on the side the spill isn't really blue/purpley.

A good visual example of the difference between neutral and cool and their applications is this outdoors shot of me grilling at night. The first pic shows the burgers under neutral light.

10320_269075285113_785270113_8662321_8200900_n.jpg

Neutral light seems to cut better through fog/smoke than cool, has to do w/ refractive/reflective properties and shiet that I don't know too much about.

another shot of the burgers under neutral light, cutting through some thick ass smoke here

10320_269078995113_785270113_8662414_201063_n.jpg

Compare to cool white XP-E q5:

10320_269086505113_785270113_8662613_1433921_n.jpg

the beam is noticeably bluer and the burgers do not look as appealing as they are brown but blue can't really reflect brown very well.

in summary, neutral white offers higher color renditioning and a tint closer to natural sunlight (like incandescent but not as yellow) at the expense of output

EDIT: note that only the beamshot pic is the actual EZCR2. the other pics are eagletac p10c2 NW and fenix pd20 cool white for demo purposes. if you're looking into the ezcr2 i'd warn you not to overtighten or you'll break the spring like I did, to cop duracell cr2s from batteryjunction and use cpf2009 at checkout, and to clean and lube the threads when you finally get it. :)

TLDR VERSION

HID is cool white/bluish, that's the normal Mini 123

Neutral white is closer to the sun

actually on the 4sevens website it states the Quark Mini 123 Neutral-White Q35A3 is the "cool white" version

LED: CREE Q35A3 "Neutral-white"

Max Output (cool-white version!): 189 Out-the-front (OTF) lumens

Material: Type-III Hard-anodized Aircraft-grade Aluminum

Battery: One CR123A

Seven Output Modes (cool-white version!):

actually on the 4sevens website it states the Quark Mini 123 Neutral-White Q35A3 is the "cool white" version

LED: CREE Q35A3 "Neutral-white"

Max Output (cool-white version!): 189 Out-the-front (OTF) lumens

Material: Type-III Hard-anodized Aircraft-grade Aluminum

Battery: One CR123A

Seven Output Modes (cool-white version!):

Naw what it's saying is that the 189 lumens OTF is rated for the cool-white version only, hence the !

Neutral white version hasn't been tested for OTF lumens but by calculation and eyeballing its around 125 lumens

If you ordered the Q3-5A3 "Neutral White" and the tint is more yellow than blue, you got the neutral white version.

Naw what it's saying is that the 189 lumens OTF is rated for the cool-white version only, hence the !

Neutral white version hasn't been tested for OTF lumens but by calculation and eyeballing its around 125 lumens

If you ordered the Q3-5A3 "Neutral White" and the tint is more yellow than blue, you got the neutral white version.

^ those are the same kinds of friends who will ask you to open a box for them or something later.

we should also convince samsikle to buy a knife and flashlight for her own safety right??

^ those are the same kinds of friends who will ask you to open a box for them or something later.

we should also convince samsikle to buy a knife and flashlight for her own safety right??

flipped thru this whole thread, in the past two days. a few things have changed:

i was looking at buying a new knife, lost my old one, and this thread has convinced me i need one.

i feel inferior with my mini maglite. :(

i now want to buy some paracord and make a lanyard.

lastly, i must make/mod a bike tool to fit my keys.

thanks.

will post pics soon.

Damn! My little Gerber light is getting an inferiority complex! Hope some of these places ship to Canada! :)

hey riff! nice 690 dude! the best gentlemens folder out there.

Thanks jonle! I inherited from my dad - a sentimental piece for me. He used to collect knives (a long story of how that got started!) and I caught the bug. I figure between what he accumulated before he passed away, and my additions, there probably a few hundred knives of all shapes, sizes, & origins lying around here... :eek:

I should get them organized & take some pics.

Damn! My little Gerber light is getting an inferiority complex! Hope some of these places ship to Canada! :)

4sevens ships internationally for free, there's also a 4sevens.ca Canadian sister site if you're looking at nitecore, fenix, 4sevens, etc..

Thanks for the links & info branespload!

I guess I'll just have sit sit down with my moleskin & space pen, and read through this thread again, taking notes! :P

Semi-joking! I just can't remember where all the info is - so much good stuff!

not new, but here's how i store my EDC when it's not in my pockets:

17044_403803020113_785270113_10399578_2338523_n.jpg

my EDC stuff is in this stainless cup with a raised lip.. i've since then lost that handkerchief. :[ and a quark mini ti 123 neutral white lives in between the two pen cups now

se530s??

^and agreed with donuts - if there was a referral program, brane would be loaded :cool:

yep, they're se530s. and i guess i'll take it easy on telling people where to cop stuff.. i hate to withhold information though, especially on superfuture which is basically a what-to-cop guide..

at the same time i value individuality so if it would help new edcers research to find something more along their tastes then so be it

so go cop atwoods or something