edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

serious question.. so you guys all carry knives. how often do you ever even use them? are you really cutting down boxes, opening things, whittling and that all the time? seems like a teddy boy tough image piece than anything else. or are you actually fronting with it on the mean streets?

it comes in handy when i need to open a package, envelope, cut tape, cardboard, string, etc., and there are days when i tend to use it more than others so having an EDC is always convenient.

i used to carry bigger blades, but it took up too much space in my pocket, so i carry the mini griptilian or a SAK.

yeah, i never was much of a fan for the hollowgrind edge. i was cutting cardboard all day and knife is still sharp.

i'm going to try and give it a convex edge.

i have titanium wilkins grips with red spacer if you're ever interested.

you the guy trying to sell them on the benchmade forums?

to mlproject and selaviso, EDC is just one of those things you can't really knock unless you try it. I'm sure if I gave each of you a good knife and flashlight for free and you started carrying them with you, you'd realize how useful they really are. The problem is people find the concept inaccessible and end up questioning our logic or express some skepticism.

:\

true but still. i wouldnt carry that flashlight for just whatever. maybe i would leave this shit in my car but come on man we live in southern California. i carry a phone to call/text/internet gum for breath chapstick for lips lighter for weed and cigs. oh and keys for car. thats some edc shit.

Received my SOG Flash I in the mail yesterday. I like it very much: great blade shape, middle-grade steel, lightweight Zytel use on the handle, safety for my younger siblings, etc.

My only complaint is the odd tapering of the handle away from the blade that makes gripping/handling the blade around the palm a bit harder. Otherwise, a very good blade for the price ($33 shipped off Amazon) and, like many companies in its league, comes with a lifetime warranty.

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

for example..i live in a nice part of socal. so who would ever need to carry a knife?

me and my friends were just kickin it outside del taco in the parking lot around 11 pm. (me and my friends are all white with relatively short hair, but dont look anything like skinheads)

this car rolls up next to us, three drunk ass mexicans hop out.

"hey motherfuckers we're looking for some skinheads who jumped one of our homies" one of the guys keeps reaching toward his side like he's gonna pull a gun on us.

my knife was in my glovebox, which wouldnt have done much good.

now i carry my knife, because sketchy people are EVERYWHERE.

one of the guys keeps reaching toward his side like he's gonna pull a gun on us.

my knife was in my glovebox, which wouldnt have done much good.

now i carry my knife, because sketchy people are EVERYWHERE.

yo FCK that man i think pulling a knife is gonna put you in a worse situation unless you're trained in knife combat. way too risky, too much liability, and if you don't know how to use a knife to fight you might fck yourself over if they get a hold of it or something.

having a knife doesn't make me feel any safer than carrying a flashlight does.

i use my knife to open stuff. i probably used it 2-3 times today, but only for opening stuff. personally i dont think the knife is necessarily the essential core of any EDC.

true but still. i wouldnt carry that flashlight for just whatever. maybe i would leave this shit in my car but come on man we live in southern California. i carry a phone to call/text/internet gum for breath chapstick for lips lighter for weed and cigs. oh and keys for car. thats some edc shit.

i guess you never drop shit in your car or in the streets and relying on cellphone light doesn't work all the time since some of our screens are weakshit. s

ome people just carry more things than others.

i can see why you're curious though.

yo FCK that man i think pulling a knife is gonna put you in a worse situation unless you're trained in knife combat. way too risky, too much liability, and if you don't know how to use a knife to fight you might fck yourself over if they get a hold of it or something.

having a knife doesn't make me feel any safer than carrying a flashlight does.

i use my knife to open stuff. i probably used it 2-3 times today, but only for opening stuff. personally i dont think the knife is necessarily the essential core of any EDC.

definitely not the essential. i wouldn't pull a knife first obviously, but if he had pulled a knife or gun, i'd rather have a knife i'm not trained with than my bare hands.

definitely not the essential. i wouldn't pull a knife first obviously, but if he had pulled a knife or gun, i'd rather have a knife i'm not trained with than my bare hands.

"fight like a man"

leung.JPG

^ would rather just blind him w/ 200 lumens and run :]

don't forget bezel smack.

where cop tactical rape bezel?? where cop momentary ravage button?

EDIT: i just got a text from a friend who said his car died in the middle of an unlit road, it's about midnight right now. he didn't have a light but my friend was with him in the passenger side w/ a Nitecore EZAA (nitecore brotherhood sup) so they could safely warn other drivers that they were stalled, check under the hood for the problem, etc.

you never know, it's just nice to have it when you need it. :)

to mlproject and selaviso, EDC is just one of those things you can't really knock unless you try it. I'm sure if I gave each of you a good knife and flashlight for free and you started carrying them with you, you'd realize how useful they really are. The problem is people find the concept inaccessible and end up questioning our logic or express some skepticism.

:\

i mean, i would agree with you but i always have a flashlight and small blade in my bag, but almost never have to use them. unless you're using them on the regular or thinking of EDC as a variable thing between people as we all use different things, it just seems like another sort of oneupmanship to see who has the cooler light or knife, that is if you're making a checklist of: multi tool, light, knife, etc. to each his own though.

like a few people said, you're more likely to cut yourself in a knife fight if you don't know what you're doing. intimidation is one thing, but actually cutting someone is a whole different story.

it is dark when i get to work so if nothing else i use the flashlight every morning to get into the office (it is accessed through a basement door under an unlit porch that has been known to be a homeless hangout)

i would never brandish the knife in a fight but it is good to have something sharp in case you get trapped by your seatbelt or in case of emergency suicide

i got my first knife at age 8, a gerber MKII that i still own

and the few early bonding experiences with my father were when he taught me how to sharpen a knife, clean a gun, or disembowel a person with a double-edged dagger

i am not into "violent subcultures" or whatever but i just find it handy having a knife on me at all times

i take my laguiole with a corkscrew when i have a picnic

i take my benchmade on most days as a utility knife

and otherwise i have a SAK in my bag

it just seems like another sort of oneupmanship to see who has the cooler light or knife, that is if you're making a checklist of: multi tool, light, knife, etc. to each his own though.

this exists to some degree, as it is a hobby and pieces can be collected -- it's always nice to have the latest/greatest or the rarest/coolest, but bottom line its an issue of preparedness and making your mundane tasks easier/less inconvenient. if you don't have any need for a knife or flashlight or whatever, that's great. i just started EDC when during an entire week i counted how often i wished i had a knife or screwdriver or something like that.

i've been without tools during move in week, that was horrible as there were tons of boxes to be cut, furniture to be assembled, dark storage sheds to look into/beds to look under etc.. then my apt had a blackout and i lent my flashlight to a friend, i ended up taking my macbook into the bathroom to put the screen on brightest so i could take a cold, dark shower -_-

and regardless, i think EDC is a better hobby/type of "cute trinkets/gadgets" to collect as opposed to sneakers, vinyl dolls, etc as they can literally save your life should the situation arise.

this thread was just made so more ppl could be prepared, cuz we need more prepared ppl in this world :P

To quote Peter Atwood, "Chance favors the prepared pocket."

Srsly though, a multitool is a great thing to have on you. I've been carrying the leatherman skeletool for over a year now and its come in handy countless times. Its got the bare essentials: bottle opener, bit driver, pliers and a blade. I would never think to pull out the blade for protection for the reasons previously mentioned as well as the fact that its barely 2.5" long. The blade comes in handy so often for utility purposes though and I like having it on me.

Gotta be careful in NYC though. I had my leatherman clipped inside my front pocket and got pulled over by one of them taxi cab cop cars while I was riding my bike. Thought I was getting busted for running a red, but the dudes jumped out and ambushed me cause of the pocket clip on the tool. They thought it was a knife and told me I should keep it tucked inside my pocket to avoid problems. Thought it was pretty weird at the time, but I was just glad they didn't try and confiscate it on me.

The flashlight I got recently and have been carrying it for about a month now. Never thought I really had a need for one as I thought the led on my phone was good enough. Needless to say, its proven more useful than I had imagined and really doesn't take up much room in my pocket. Can't even tell its there half the time. Strapped it to my bike helmet the other day to try that out and it was pretty fuckin awesome. That little guy really lit up the road.

Is this shit necessary? Probably not, but it'll definitely come in handy when you least expect it. Can't deny the cool factor is also there, but as you dudes said, better to collect useful tools and gadgets than some other bullshit you know?

My edc is somewhat less urban fighter king and somewhat more nerd on steroids, but i do use these all the time

I carry

Fenix L1D - not the leatest and greatest but it will still blow anything a

most lights away

Swiss card

Pack of bicycle playing cards

LAMY Pico ( used to carry the swift but too expensive to replace), the main reason for this pen is that it uses the Lamy M66 rollerball Refill, which is the best rollerball i have ever used for any money)

Spycapsule with adderall and modafinil

( for nights out) hipflask with Talisker 10 so that i don't have to drink shit all night and a generic waiters friend for houseparties

Surefire rubber band gun

iphone

Wait Lamy Pico takes rollerball refills? I hate mine because I use M22 ballpoint, it explodes in the pen and I neede pliers to get it out. It runs out of ink way fast cuz it explodes.. Also I thought m caffeine and theanine spy caps was nerdy but yours is straight up adderall lol.

EDIT: jonle, my quark has like 200+ lumen strobe lol. But strobe is generally disorienting to the user as well because your target reflects the strobe back at you

LAMY Pico ( used to carry the swift but too expensive to replace), the main reason for this pen is that it uses the Lamy M66 rollerball Refill, which is the best rollerball i have ever used for any money)

yo, check out the kaweco rollerball pen @ shopwritersbloc.com

and do the eyedropper mod which will save you some $$ in the long run.

you'll need a bottle of noodler's ink + silicon grease though.

they sell silicon grease here.

it's my current edc pen and i love it.

however, after using about 2/3, you should add more ink, because the air pressure would cause inksplodes.

ps-i recommend getting a clear one so you can see the ink, and the tip is wider than that of the swift, but it writes so smooth like any rollerball should. i don't recommend getting the fountain pen version, because 1) it costs more, 2) it's a lot smoother, and 3) it may skip.

i take my laguiole with a corkscrew when i have a picnic

have you seen the more expensive laguiole knives? they are sooooo nice. i fear i'll never be able to afford one :(