most over-rated jeans

cant_sleep

Quote:
Quote:

Okay...Here Goes.

I Am Going To Correct A Few Of The Mistakes That Have Been Made.

First Off, Emo Is The Most Overused Term I Have Ever Heard. Emo Does Not Mean Sweater Vest Nerds That Go Home And Slit Their Wrists Because Girls Won't Talk To Them, Nor Does It Mean The Bleached Hair Gothkid Fantasizing About Meeting Weezer.

The Meaning Has Changed To Accomodate What I Call The "Hollister Generation",

i.e. The Popular Kids You Find At The Mall Making Fun Of Nerds And Listening To All American Rejects.

I Am The Fashionista Metro Kid At My School, And I Have Not One, Not Two, But 26 Pairs Of Designer Jeans, Ranging From Acne To True Religion. (HA HA! IT'S SO FUNNY! LITTLE SPOILED RICH KID BUYS JEANS WITH DADDY'S MONEY!)

In Reality The Kind of People (Males, That Is) Wearing Tight Jeans Really Hang Out At The Burger Shop Down The Street Taling With Their Peers About How Amazing The Strokes Concert Was, (Me)

Or Hanging Out In Urban Outfitters Talking About How Amazing The Techno Rave The Night Before Was (Them)

-Ben

--- Original message by DrugsAreBadMkay on May 11, 2006 05:48 PM

for the record, i saw The Strokes at the Ryman Auditorium (one of the best places to see any band, anywhere) and they sucked. Their sound was great, but it's hard to listen to the same song over and over for an hour and a half. Now, Eagles of Death Metal opened for them, and they played a great show, but that's a whole different story.

and yea, we all have our tastes, but if you really, really like the strokes that much, i can't imagine your taste actually being any good. and congrats on your jean collection, but you genuinely sound like a stuck up douche

--- Original message by jeffvyain on May 12, 2006 07:20 AM

that is funny, I saw them in Dallas, and I thought they were okay, nothing wonderful, but Eagles of Death Metal stunk, IMO. I loved their chick drummer, she was badass, and the two kept rather tight, but the lead singer was weird and creepy in the sex-offender way...

Masochism at it's finest.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I Have A Serious Comment. A Few Weeks Ago I Saw Someone Post About Never Seeing Anyone In A Bathing Ape Or Ice Cream Jeans. There Is A Store In The DC Area That Sells BAPE, A Chain Called Up Against The Wall, Which Retails The Most Expensive And Overrated Jeans Such As

Antik Denim

BAPE

EVISU (Back Pocket Designs Are A Joke)

Tough Jeansmith

True Religion (I Know I Said I Have A Pair, But I Regret Getting Them)

And The BAPEs Got Sold To Someone While I Was Browsing For $950... Could Someone PLEASE Tell Me Why BAPE is So expensive.

Sorry: I HAVE To Add To My Overrated List:

Red Monkey

Abercrombie (Not Designer, But Who Gives A Fuck)

DKNY

GAP (THE END OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!)

Citizens Of Humanity

Stitchs (Very Comfortable, But Rip On Down Pillows)

Seven (Why This Instead Of Levi's?)

And My Favorite List:

Diesel

Energie/Sixty

Levi's

Acne (Trendy But Who Cares)

Dior Homme

AX (Mainstream But Who Cares)

Blood & Glitter

Nudie

For me.... PDC...

I bought a couple pair, but one of them (made from japanese ringxring) had the crotch rivet and a side rivet pop out on me soon after purchase. To me, that is totally unacceptable, I've had far cheaper jeans that never fell apart on me.

Quote:

For me.... PDC...

I bought a couple pair, but one of them (made from japanese ringxring) had the crotch rivet and a side rivet pop out on me soon after purchase. To me, that is totally unacceptable, I've had far cheaper jeans that never fell apart on me.

--- Original message by dismalfuture on May 16, 2006 07:00 PM

I have a mini by them, and the quality was crap as well, 150 for 1/2 yard of cord I could get at walmart for 2.50 is bs.

Masochism at it's finest.

Re Evisu:

I reckon the Japanese Stuff is top quality. Great denim, great construction, good (vintage) cuts. And the international heritage line is good as well. Same deal.

But pretty much everything else they put out is crap. EU Edition etc has given them a really bad name. The general overexposure of the gulls is a problem as well. But it's still great to see a dude rocking the plain Japanese shit every now and again.

Aus specific: I reckon Tsubis are WAAAY overrated here. Good cuts and nice distressing, but the denim is not durable enough, and in terms of fashion, they only tend to last about 6 months before they start to look dated...

Keep the Funk alive

Quote:

Sorry: I HAVE To Add To My Overrated List:

Red Monkey

Abercrombie (Not Designer, But Who Gives A Fuck)

DKNY

GAP (THE END OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!)

Citizens Of Humanity

Stitchs (Very Comfortable, But Rip On Down Pillows)

Seven (Why This Instead Of Levi's?)

And My Favorite List:

Diesel

Energie/Sixty

Levi's

Acne (Trendy But Who Cares)

Dior Homme

AX (Mainstream But Who Cares)

Blood & Glitter

Nudie

--- Original message by DrugsAreBadMkay on May 16, 2006 06:15 PM

lol you are quite funny dude. although i agree with most of the overrated jeans u say, u say evisu is overrated and that back pocket designs are a joke.

and then, the brands that make your favourite list are crappy denim brands like those lol.

except for dior homme, levi's(lvc), everything else sucks as fuck.

rotflol @ diesel and energie/sixty specially

get a clue dude, and yeah, drugs are bad, mmmkay?!

Stand tall or don't stand at all

Really? I Was Under The Impression That Energie Was Durable. I Know They're Overpriced, But Wow. And Acne? I Can't Imagine Why, They Are Comfortable And Aesthetically Pleasing, And Unlike Dior Homme, There Is No $500 Pricetag, I Know You Are Probably More Informed Than I...And Nudie Is Your Own Thing...And Tsubi??? I Know Slim Fit's A Fad, But Those Guys Have Got It DOWN. Please Answer My Questions, Egpt

dude, just step way from the euro trash brands.

the only missing on your list for good jeans would be "pepe jeans".

put some money on a pair of lot 2000 japanese evisu if u are into that slim fit look, and then come tell me here that they are overrated.

i think people don't realize that most evisu they see on the music videos is either

1. plain fake

or

2. part of the new crappy evisu european lines

Quote:

Really? I Was Under The Impression That Energie Was Durable. I Know They're Overpriced, But Wow. And Acne? I Can't Imagine Why, They Are Comfortable And Aesthetically Pleasing, And Unlike Dior Homme, There Is No $500 Pricetag, I Know You Are Probably More Informed Than I...And Nudie Is Your Own Thing...And Tsubi??? I Know Slim Fit's A Fad, But Those Guys Have Got It DOWN. Please Answer My Questions, Egpt

--- Original message by DrugsAreBadMkay on May 17, 2006 12:51 PM

You have to understand that alot of the brands you find stylish are the anithesis of what the denim purists on this site are all about...your choice in brands is your own decision..but as far as quality goes im pretty sure theyve got you covered.......you might want to get your hands on some good raw/dry denim if you dont already have some...wear them in for a about year before washing...and i promise you'll never go back to those pre-washed styles/brands...its all about personalizing some good dry/unwashed denim...putting in the work of wearing one or two pairs of jeans as much as humanly possible..then basking in the incredible results.......its next to impossible to find a washed pair of jeans thatll give you that feeling...

heres some links to get you started:

http://www.apc.fr/eu/en/fiche_article.php?ref=1C012912169H

http://julianredjeans.com/

http://www.samurai-j.com/

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/

...deadstock LVC is good too...so is some of the more subtle Evisu..if theyre real Japanese Evisu that is...

Edited by Whodinihimself on May 18, 2006 at 06:38 AM

You've been so helpful. I only have two things to say: I already have a pair of regular ralf dry selvage nudie jeans. I have been wearing them for three weeks now, not everyday, but every night i sleep in them. Will this get the same results as on their site. I would wear them everyday, but me being the tool that I am, i have to wear something different everyday to impress my peers. And 2: me being a full time student, i have almost no time to dedicate to denim other than the night and weekend shopping trips, and energie, diesel, barney's coop and urban outfitters are the only things wirthin realistic proximity. I'm aiming for the sid vicious/mick jagger tight jeans track jacket tee thing. Also, those links you gave me have great jeans, but me living in the suburban wasteland that I do, I have no way to purchase them except online, and the return policy seems shakyl. What should i do?

Quote:

Oh, And Where Can I Get Good Evisu?

--- Original message by DrugsAreBadMkay on May 17, 2006 02:50 PM

don't buy evisu, they are overrated ,and besides, back pocket designs are corny (sarcasm)

Quote:

You've been so helpful. I only have two things to say: I already have a pair of regular ralf dry selvage nudie jeans. I have been wearing them for three weeks now, not everyday, but every night i sleep in them. Will this get the same results as on their site. I would wear them everyday, but me being the tool that I am, i have to wear something different everyday to impress my peers. And 2: me being a full time student, i have almost no time to dedicate to denim other than the night and weekend shopping trips, and energie, diesel, barney's coop and urban outfitters are the only things wirthin realistic proximity. I'm aiming for the sid vicious/mick jagger tight jeans track jacket tee thing. Also, those links you gave me have great jeans, but me living in the suburban wasteland that I do, I have no way to purchase them except online, and the return policy seems shakyl. What should i do?

--- Original message by DrugsAreBadMkay on May 17, 2006 02:48 PM

one word: Ebay

unfortunately sometimes the internet is the only place to get some of this stuff...alot of the better sellers on Ebay have good return policies...but i dont see why buying direct from the official websites would be a problem...

I myself like to try my jeans on before buying them...but this forum can help take the guess work out of sizing...so...once youve decided on the jean you want, just post a topic about sizing in that particular brand/style and people who own it themselves will probably help you out...lowers the chance of having to make a return...

and i think people would respect you more for not being a whore for fashion...well...not a complete whore heh.......and you can start buy ebaying some of your jean collection and breaking in some nice raw denim...that way you know that noone else is wearing what youre wearing..even if they are.....but thats just my opinion ;)

Edited by Whodinihimself on May 18, 2006 at 06:39 AM

Quote:

Now I Have A Serious Comment. A Few Weeks Ago I Saw Someone Post About Never Seeing Anyone In A Bathing Ape Or Ice Cream Jeans. There Is A Store In The DC Area That Sells BAPE, A Chain Called Up Against The Wall, Which Retails The Most Expensive And Overrated Jeans Such As

Antik Denim

BAPE

EVISU (Back Pocket Designs Are A Joke)

Tough Jeansmith

True Religion (I Know I Said I Have A Pair, But I Regret Getting Them)

And The BAPEs Got Sold To Someone While I Was Browsing For $950... Could Someone PLEASE Tell Me Why BAPE is So expensive.

--- Original message by DrugsAreBadMkay on May 16, 2006 06:08 PM

there are Up Against the Wall's everywhere, and they dont stock bape. They sold ice creams for a while, but no more. There is one in G-Town, but since you said "DC area" i'm assuming you're talking about the one in pentagon. Why would you go there for denim when Denim Bar is a 5 minute walk or a 10 second drive away.

also, i thought it was interesting to have two people say Samurai's are over-rated. I have heard nothing but good things, am i getting caught up in the hype?

Edited by watchman on May 18, 2006 at 02:51 PM

I wouldn't call *any* of the denim brands commonly discussed here as being overrated. How many pairs of Nudie, Samurai, Sugarcane, etc. have you seen walking down the street? I guess I've seen a few too many APCs, but that's all I can think of. When I think over-rated, I think of shit like Morphine Generation, who don't make jeans.

I think the only jeans that people give undue praise to on this board are Dior Homme.

• 1 month later...

Seriously guys, all jeans are overrated because at the end of the day it's just a piece of damn cloth that's used to cover your unsightly gonads....having said that, i constantly give into brand hype and thought i would post some of the jeans i own so you can all give me CRAP!

true religion (2 pairs)

notify

paper denim and cloth

evisu

diesel

tsubi (2 pairs - one in a raw selvage wash believe it or not)

taverniti so

ck39

lee

fcuk

wranglers

paul smith

calvin klein

armani exchange

and a dozen even crappier brands...at the end of the day if my list had been

5ep

45rpm

samurai

eternal

warehouse

studio d'artisan

sugar cane

denime

rag and bone

would it really make a difference? am i less human coz my jeans aren't cool?

youre not less human. but to think about how much money is tied up in your jeans that you say you own, thats depressing. if you had the second list, id say the same thing. shit, no one needs more than 2 pairs of jeans at any given time.

on the subject of overrated, it is all personal opinion. i think that all of the jeans discussed here are overrated.... well, not overrated just over priced. but im a cheap motherfucker. i like my 15$ double rls. those are underrated.

Wow...Seeing How Many People Are Pissed Is Kinda Amazing...It Was A Joke, And I Apologize...

And Furthermore, I Am Not Implying That All People Wearing Tight Jeans Fit Under Those Two Categories, But Rather Extinguish That Myth With Witty Sarcasm. I Guess I Failed. And I Again Apologize. Also, I Want To Say, That The Strokes Are NOT my favorite band, I just thought they were kind of the fashion princes of rock. And I Know I will probably get more negative posts, but i hope i can come back from that.

Can you please learn to not capitalize every word?

Guest blackbird

What about Acne Jeans? I've heard a lot of people complain about the price to quality ratio. I think they're great but I want to hear what you guys think.