most over-rated jeans

cant_sleep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

um no. i just think that wearing them is a good idea. they're good jeans. plus they're boy jeans. so why not have boys making good jean decisions in the country that i live in?

--- Original message by dedisastre on Mar 26, 2006 09:07 PM

Stop by Minneapolis. I'll buy you a beer at the Triple Rock.

For the record, I've yet to meet a single other person in the U.S. who gives two rat's asses about the jeans I'm wearing, and none of them certainly know about Nudies. They're a tough brand to be considered "overrated" over here.

--- Original message by TB on Mar 27, 2006 04:06 PM

can i take you up on this offer?

ive heard people talking. they have wondered why you think you are so cool wearing plain levis jeans with partially torn off stitching. do you now believe less in your jeans?

--- Original message by merzbot on Mar 28, 2006 09:53 AM

oooo...mysterious....

Lately, I've been thinking less of myself, but that's an issue for my therapist and my liquor cabinet.

Let them talk, I say.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, fond as I am of 45RPM, in my more sober moments, looking at that $400+ price tag, I have to admit the price gives me pause (although my girlfriend recently picked up a pair of their zipper front uni-sex jeans for a bit over $200). For sure, even if one doesn't know all that much about denim and its construction, one would see these things and just know they're something special. But $400? So much of this "quality" thing is subjective. We know it when we see it but even then some part of us is perhaps thinking, Hmmm, $400?...

So are they overrated? I think they're excellently made and I do think about owning a pair, and if I'm willing to spend the cash then that means I believe they're worth the investment, right? Or is it? For most it stops at "If I'm willing to pay the price, that's it then." But that reaction is purely selfish, isn't it? I've shelled out money for something that I later thought, I must've been outta my fuckin' mind. We've all done that. What I'm getting at is if the process of judging and placing a value on something so easy, or is it a bit more complicated? I don't mean to go off on a rant but for me this is an interesting notion, the pursuit of quality. Those who've read "Zen And the Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance" will know what I mean.

• 1 month later...

Okay...Here Goes.

I Am Going To Correct A Few Of The Mistakes That Have Been Made.

First Off, Emo Is The Most Overused Term I Have Ever Heard. Emo Does Not Mean Sweater Vest Nerds That Go Home And Slit Their Wrists Because Girls Won't Talk To Them, Nor Does It Mean The Bleached Hair Gothkid Fantasizing About Meeting Weezer.

The Meaning Has Changed To Accomodate What I Call The "Hollister Generation",

i.e. The Popular Kids You Find At The Mall Making Fun Of Nerds And Listening To All American Rejects.

I Am The Fashionista Metro Kid At My School, And I Have Not One, Not Two, But 26 Pairs Of Designer Jeans, Ranging From Acne To True Religion. (HA HA! IT'S SO FUNNY! LITTLE SPOILED RICH KID BUYS JEANS WITH DADDY'S MONEY!)

In Reality The Kind of People (Males, That Is) Wearing Tight Jeans Really Hang Out At The Burger Shop Down The Street Taling With Their Peers About How Amazing The Strokes Concert Was, (Me)

Or Hanging Out In Urban Outfitters Talking About How Amazing The Techno Rave The Night Before Was (Them)

-Ben

Quote:

Okay...Here Goes.

First Off, Emo Is The Most Overused Term I Have Ever Heard. Emo Does Not Mean Sweater Vest Nerds That Go Home And Slit Their Wrists Because Girls Won't Talk To Them, Nor Does It Mean The Bleached Hair Gothkid Fantasizing About Meeting Weezer.

i.e. The Popular Kids You Find At The Mall Making Fun Of Nerds And Listening To All American Rejects.

I Am The Fashionista Metro Kid At My School, And I Have Not One, Not Two, But 26 Pairs Of Designer Jeans, Ranging From Acne To True Religion. (HA HA! IT'S SO FUNNY! LITTLE SPOILED RICH KID BUYS JEANS WITH DADDY'S MONEY!)

In Reality The Kind of People (Males, That Is) Wearing Tight Jeans Really Hang Out At The Burger Shop Down The Street Taling With Their Peers About How Amazing The Strokes Concert Was, (Me)

Or Hanging Out In Urban Outfitters Talking About How Amazing The Techno Rave The Night Before Was (Them)

-Ben

--- Original message by DrugsAreBadMkay on May 11, 2006 05:48 PM

Label clothing .. not yourself

..."i am the fashionista metro kid"....what you are is human...youre your father and mothers son...you should be judged by the content of your character, not by what you wear or the clones you choose to hang out with....get over yourself!!

Quote:

Okay...Here Goes.

-Ben

HAHAHAHA

your correction leaves much to be desired.

Quote:
Quote:

alot of peep's don't like prps.... i like mine... they fit me pretty damn nice, maybe i like them more because in LA you don't see them everywhere like evisu and the like. i think seven's are really over rated though. i had a few pairs and none of them really fit perfect. i dunno why i kept buying them.... BAPE/ice cream and neighborhood i really don't like.

Edited by et negative five on Feb 24, 2006 at 08:42 PM

--- Original message by et negative five on Feb 24, 2006 08:41 PM

Speaking of Bape/Ice Cream/BBC denim, has anyone EVER run into anyone on the streets rockin a pair of jeans from either of these brands? I know I haven't. I wonder how well Ice Cream and BBC are really doin...i know Bape's fine because they got that hoodie and sneaker market, but seriously other than seeing Juno on the cover of Milk rockin the BBC and Ice Cream I haven't come across a soul in real life who wears that stuff.

--- Original message by Fade to Black on Mar 2, 2006 11:15 PM

all the kids outside of the Busy Workshop in London had BAPE jeans, and i've seen BBC/Ice Cream stuff too. Maybe that is just because VA is like Pharrells homebase, and commonwealth is here, but there are a few people rocking those brands.

Guest Airjamie
Quote:

Okay...Here Goes.

-Ben

Stfu, just shut the fuck up. Christ, worst post ever.

Quote:

Okay...Here Goes.

-Ben

I was a mod before you was a mod.

Quote:

Okay...Here Goes.

-Ben

whining is so emo.

i'm not a mod or a rocker. i'm a mocker.

join a cult. www.culturepopartgallery.com

Quote:

Okay...Here Goes.

-Ben

What i dont get is how DrugsAreBadMkay says that "the kind of people who wear tight jeans really hang out at the burger shop down the street talking with their friends about how amazing the Strokes concert was"...i wear tight jeans...been wearing tight jeans since you were just a twinkle in your mothers eyeball...i like the strokes...but do i talk about the one concert ive seen them in everyday at the burger shop??.....uh...hell no...................

so lemme get this straight, all you and your friends do is sit around going "man..that Sthrokesth consthert wasth sthoooo aswesthommmme"...every...single ...day??.......i just hope that you arent the leader of your little group.......what a tool...

Guest jeffvyain
Quote:

Okay...Here Goes.

-Ben

for the record, i saw The Strokes at the Ryman Auditorium (one of the best places to see any band, anywhere) and they sucked. Their sound was great, but it's hard to listen to the same song over and over for an hour and a half. Now, Eagles of Death Metal opened for them, and they played a great show, but that's a whole different story.

and yea, we all have our tastes, but if you really, really like the strokes that much, i can't imagine your taste actually being any good. and congrats on your jean collection, but you genuinely sound like a stuck up douche

most over-rated jeans (i work at boutique that stocks from over forty denim designers so i get to see the ones that fall apart/look like crap after a few washings/wears):

J&Company

Taverniti

Duarte

Chip & Pepper

AG

True Religion

Diesel

Most Italian Houses (D&G, Cavalli, Ferre, Fendi, Prada, Versace)

As to two brands that got ragged on a lot in this post, PRPS and Rogan, I like both, although the waist button rivets on Rogans are admittedly variable. PRPS are one of the most comfortable and sweet-looking pre-washed/distressed jeans I have come across. Now granted, they don't stack up to the quality of some Japanese purveyors (I am breaking in the Sugar Cane Edo Ais and the Okinawas as we speak) but have pretty awesome detailing. As other people have stated, the fit on PRPS is urban, but they are the perfect jean to wear painting, changing oil on your car, or doing any sort of dirty manual labour but mine have only gained character as I've worked/sweated/partied in them. To me, Rogan displays a simplicity of design that is lacking from 98% of American designers whose over-distressed, over-washed boring garbage is an anathema to denim overall. Rogan does do heavy washes, but leaves their jeans much plainer than many designers, particularly those based in the west coast.

over-rated japanese denim:

evisu (although they make decent deluxe/high end stuff, it ain't worth the price)

bape/bbc (this stuff is trash if you ask me)

"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star" - Nietzsche

Ha funny rip on the prps...although they do produce a raw style every season... and I certainly wouldn't rank them among the designers I listed at the top...their denim and attention to detail is at least passable

speaking of which, has anyone seen pics of the raw PRPS after a few months of wear? i'd be curious to see it... Not that their raw denim is top notch or anything, but given how much distressing and washing they throw down, i'd like to see a pair with natural wear

"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star" - Nietzsche

I've had several pair of Evisu denim and I've found the quality to vary a lot. I like the stuff Evisu does with Oki-Ni, its Evisu Deluxe line, and then the No. 1 denim line. I have a pair of black flap pocket EU Edition denim that are some of the more comfortable jeans I've owned, but are beginning to fall apart after four wears...

when i say evisu, i mean the japanese line and the heritage line from europe. everything else is not evisu to me, it's evisu european edition and EV genes, and yes, a nice hand full of crap. blame diesel inspired european designers for that

Stand tall or don't stand at all

Wow...Seeing How Many People Are Pissed Is Kinda Amazing...It Was A Joke, And I Apologize...

And Furthermore, I Am Not Implying That All People Wearing Tight Jeans Fit Under Those Two Categories, But Rather Extinguish That Myth With Witty Sarcasm. I Guess I Failed. And I Again Apologize. Also, I Want To Say, That The Strokes Are NOT my favorite band, I just thought they were kind of the fashion princes of rock. And I Know I will probably get more negative posts, but i hope i can come back from that.