most over-rated jeans

cant_sleep

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel like all you people talking about nudie being over hyped dont live in the US....cause nobody here even knoiws what that shit is.....i know like two other people personally that have them.....personally i am one of those stupid nudie fanboys so my oppinion is kinda biased....but ya know.....and yes true relgion is trash

F**K HYPE

solecollector.com

getlifted.net

overstand.net

I'm not very fond of:

Evisu

Their washed jeans cost a great deal. There's a pair for sale over at Zoovillage.com for ~475USD / 400 EUR. And their washed. I just don't get the idea of high-priced washed jeans,and especially not when they're patched and worn. I would pay less than half the price and pick up a pair of unwashed and can wear them down myself instead. And if I wanted patching, I could buy two pairs for less cash and have my sis cut the other pair apart and do something nice with them...

Nudie

I kind of liked them when they weren't a large brand. When you said Nudie and people said: "Yeah, I've seen those. Seems nice but I don't know where to find them."

I've only bought washed Nudie jeans, I like the cut on Bootcut Ola and Flare Glenn but haven't bothered with a Dry. And the two last pairs feel really different in quality than my older pairs. Even if it's just one year apart since I bought them, those new one's feel a lot worse in terms of quality... just my opinion.

Cheap Monday

Not very pricy. But I think there's a lot of hype going on there. They claim to give designer jeans to the people, but there's very little design about them IMHO. Minimalistic cut and details, no back-pocket details (some consider this a good thing from the look of it) and from what I hear rather questionable quality. I'm just wondering what really separates CM from other lowpriced brands.

Perhaps I just don't get the hype, or perhaps CM acctually does have great quality jeans, which I'm missing out on because their design doesn't appeal to me.

Quote:

I'm not very fond of:

Evisu

Their washed jeans cost a great deal. There's a pair for sale over at Zoovillage.com for ~475USD / 400 EUR. And their washed. I just don't get the idea of high-priced washed jeans,and especially not when they're patched and worn. I would pay less than half the price and pick up a pair of unwashed and can wear them down myself instead. And if I wanted patching, I could buy two pairs for less cash and have my sis cut the other pair apart and do something nice with them...

Nudie

I kind of liked them when they weren't a large brand. When you said Nudie and people said: "Yeah, I've seen those. Seems nice but I don't know where to find them."

I've only bought washed Nudie jeans, I like the cut on Bootcut Ola and Flare Glenn but haven't bothered with a Dry. And the two last pairs feel really different in quality than my older pairs. Even if it's just one year apart since I bought them, those new one's feel a lot worse in terms of quality... just my opinion.

Cheap Monday

Not very pricy. But I think there's a lot of hype going on there. They claim to give designer jeans to the people, but there's very little design about them IMHO. Minimalistic cut and details, no back-pocket details (some consider this a good thing from the look of it) and from what I hear rather questionable quality. I'm just wondering what really separates CM from other lowpriced brands.

Perhaps I just don't get the hype, or perhaps CM acctually does have great quality jeans, which I'm missing out on because their design doesn't appeal to me.

--- Original message by Friduric on Feb 24, 2006 03:29 AM

I used to think evisu was great, i could never afford it, then everyone started wearing them....so i backed off....but recently....a good pair of evisu's or vintage evis are on my list to buy. I'm going against the superfuture backlash!

nudies i have 2 pairs. really overrated. Quality is so so....i got them when they were still like $165 at famous friends. for RRDS..now i would never pay $265 for those things....

underhyped is def Denime....everyone overlooks this brand....amazing quality! affordable and very slubby denim!

adidas sample stuff on the bay now.

DAMN YOU PEOPLE STOP WATCHING AND BID!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

When I removed back pockets stitching and brand tag off my Nudies Straight Sven DS I've got several remarks from different people like"nice jeans what are they?" so I do't think Nudies are overrated. Maybe, they are overpriced in the States or Oz, but i bought my SS DS for like USD190 and washed Ralphs for 150 on sale and at this price pont they are way better than 90% other jeans IMO.

The only truly and utterly overrated pair I own is D&G even though I got them 50% off.

Alien vs Predator, Freddie vs Jason, Nudie vs A.P.C.

I've got to stick up for Nudies.

I'm based in London, and work in the 'media' world of Soho and am fairly surprised not to see every other person in a pair of Nudies....this is a good thing.

I was attracted to the brand because it was pretty unknown, at least amongst the wider Diesel/Evisu communities. I like the brand and what it stands for, and the fits (Slim Jim and Regular Ralph) are fantastic - I've tried on soooo many jeans in the quest for the perfect pair, and now Nudie is all I wear.

Quote:

i feel like all you people talking about nudie being over hyped dont live in the US....cause nobody here even knoiws what that shit is.....i know like two other people personally that have them.....personally i am one of those stupid nudie fanboys so my oppinion is kinda biased....but ya know.....and yes true relgion is trash

--- Original message by kixslf on Feb 24, 2006 12:09 AM

kix, about nudies: they've got a small following here in the US because jimmy fallon was seen wearing them on SNL and in movies (taxi, i think). and for some strange reason he tends to be a style icon. just ask every frat boy that wears hishair like jimmy, and wears the hoody/blazer combo.

Edited by giantreptile on Feb 24, 2006 at 10:43 AM

Quote:

I'm based in London, and work in the 'media' world of Soho and am fairly surprised not to see every other person in a pair of Nudies....this is a good thing.

I was attracted to the brand because it was pretty unknown, at least amongst the wider Diesel/Evisu communities. I like the brand and what it stands for, and the fits (Slim Jim and Regular Ralph) are fantastic - I've tried on soooo many jeans in the quest for the perfect pair, and now Nudie is all I wear.

--- Original message by mrjameskent on Feb 24, 2006 05:06 AM

I am based in Sweden and Nudie is like seeing a pair of Levi's now a days. Well, not really, Lee and Jack & Jones are still more common I think. Jack and Jones, there's the most overpriced denim ever. If you can call it that. I bought a pair of unwashed for sale ~20 USD. Crappy quality.

Bought a pair of unwashed, a while back, some "limited edition". Heavily washed, ~125 USD. Crappy quality as well.

Their logo looks like a Diesel rip, and their designs are usually half-assed rips as well. And most jeans are cut very strange IMHO, I can barely fit into a 34" of theirs most of the time. And I'm usually 32" - 33".

http://www.jackjones.com/ if you want a good laugh icon_smile_evil.gif

Anyway, Nudie is very common in Sweden. It makes me rather doubtful to their entire "keep it small" attitude that they said they would try to stick to.

Guest Berget__
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by mrjameskent on Feb 24, 2006 05:06 AM

I am based in Sweden and Nudie is like seeing a pair of Levi's now a days. Well, not really, Lee and Jack & Jones are still more common I think. Jack and Jones, there's the most overpriced denim ever. If you can call it that. I bought a pair of unwashed for sale ~20 USD. Crappy quality.

Bought a pair of unwashed, a while back, some "limited edition". Heavily washed, ~125 USD. Crappy quality as well.

Their logo looks like a Diesel rip, and their designs are usually half-assed rips as well. And most jeans are cut very strange IMHO, I can barely fit into a 34" of theirs most of the time. And I'm usually 32" - 33".

http://www.jackjones.com/ if you want a good laugh icon_smile_evil.gif

Anyway, Nudie is very common in Sweden. It makes me rather doubtful to their entire "keep it small" attitude that they said they would try to stick to.

--- Original message by Friduric on Feb 24, 2006 11:16 AM

Dude...why do you even buy Jack & Jones if you know their jeans are shit??

I aint gotta get money man money get me

Quote: Dude...why do you even buy Jack & Jones if you know their jeans are shit??

Well, as far as the expensive pair goes, I didn't really know the quality would be that horrid. It was by first pair of jeans purchased at J&J.

As far as the other pair. 150:- SEK for a pair of pants... just figured I'ld try. Got something to rip and tear at least.

Now, I haven't even set my foot in a J&J store again. I firmly walk by.

Edited by Friduric on Feb 24, 2006 at 03:00 PM

alot of peep's don't like prps.... i like mine... they fit me pretty damn nice, maybe i like them more because in LA you don't see them everywhere like evisu and the like. i think seven's are really over rated though. i had a few pairs and none of them really fit perfect. i dunno why i kept buying them.... BAPE/ice cream and neighborhood i really don't like.

Edited by et negative five on Feb 24, 2006 at 08:42 PM

mine aren't to baggy, i'd call them loose. they are much more of a slim fit than like A pocket sevens. i have the purple selvage and are breaking in nicely.

i don't like tight jeans, but baggy like seven's is just to much for me. i like them alot because i am also into the whole SB dunk thing and they look great with them. i hear after you wash them they shrink up a bit if your into washing denim. :)

i think they feel nice and fit nice.

when people complaining over prps, ever thought about the brand style? they are not here to satify your scramble egg needs, they are suppose to be a relax urban style fit, so quit complain about the fit.

and have any of you ever thought about why they are so pricy?

if not, why dont you go fucking ask and find out?

Quote:

nudies, evisu, prps.

someone once referred to apc as the jcrew of france, but i've never had/tried anything that was apc or jcrew.

--- Original message by mass on Feb 23, 2006 08:24 PM

Actually, at the very beginning, APC was panned as the GAP of France. Luclkily, Jean Touitou wasn't swayed by the naysayers, and stuck with his design philosophy: Clean lines, straight and narrow cuts, a limited palette of blues, greys, black, brown and green, and military influences (esp. in outerwear). Bright colors as accents.

Unfortunately, they are getting too much editorial coverage these days, and everyone and their dog in NYC needs a pair of their jeans even if they don't buy into or even understand the A.P.C. line.

As for my personal list of overrated jeans, in no particular order (price/quality ratio considered, I'll cap it at 20)

PRPS

Red Monkey

Seven

Citizens of Humanity

Notify

Stitch's

Nudie Selvage anything (I love the fit of their jeans, but the US price is ridiculous - get a hookup in Europe)

Prada (repeat after me: I will not pay $450 to look like crap.)

Dolce & Gabbana (Get SBU's instead!)

Paper Denim & Cloth (although with the price drop for the coming seasons, these may come off the list)

Fake London Genius (at least in the States)

R for 45RPM - Don't get me wrong, their jeans are great, but they are not worth that much.

True Religion

Hudson (Hey, British True Religions!!!)

Armani Jeans (well, I'll give them credit for being the only designer company that makes jeans that look like jeans, but still... Well, Varvatos makes decent jeans too, but still...)

Salvage

Blue Cult and Sacred Blue

Evisu (is there any need to explain?)

John Varvatos USA (decent jeans, but hardly worth their $200 or so pricepoint.)

Edit: Sorry, I really, really, needed to add BAPE...

There are many more, but I'll quit for now.

Underrated:

Engineered Garments (meticulous detailing, as with everything else they do)

Edited by LA Guy on Feb 25, 2006 at 10:12 AM

Monkey, what you said. But on the other hand the genius' at Evisu should all have their balls torn off (You've all seen "Hostel", right?). Those back pocket designs are sheer folly. What were they thinking? Smoking?

Prps looks like denim for kids with daddy dollar$. But then, it's mostly kids which are driving these markets. And kids, for the most part, have very little taste, discernment. They should come here first to get educated.

I generally frown upon denim which is the product of a "House", i.e., Prada, etc. There's too much quality elsewhere to indulge that sort of thing. I'll leave all that to the Paris' and Nicole's of this sad world.

45RPM is stratospherically expensive, but as far as I can tell it is sheer quality. Perfection, even. I literally could not speak while checking out their items in the Soho shop. Everything is marvellous. You want to own it all.

I don't get Rogan and Nudie. Well, nudie I might come 'round to, particulary their denim shirts.

How 'bout 5EP?

remember guys, if you live in sweden and nudies are really popular, that is still not a large amount of people, afterall in the states you probably don't have that many people wearing nudies, since sweden is what the size of jersey,, so that is not that many people.

in the u.s. i'd say that nudies are basically non existant, only denim heads will get that stuff and pay that much for it, like wise with any preminum brands, sure you can say diesel/seven are really popular, that is because out of all the brands they were able to market enough to open their own stores in major cities across the country, and they were also able to stock their stuff in macys/bloomingdales, etc.. most other preminum denim companys just don't have that kind of clout.

you can't say that you will see 10 people on the street of manhatan, with apcs, nudies, 45rpm or other jeans on, most people will have on deisel/seven/calvins/levis/tommy, and all the other common brands i'd say.

Quote: Monkey, what you said. But on the other hand the genius' at Evisu should all have their balls torn off (You've all seen "Hostel", right?). Those back pocket designs are sheer folly. What were they thinking? Smoking?

I think someone at evisu is having a laugh and getting away with it, for sure. Some of the jeans and the backpocket designs (or the whole back of the jeans in some cases) are the work of someone who is seeing how far they can go before they get fired.

Quote: I don't get Rogan and Nudie

I don't get Rogan either, but nudie are brilliant.

Rob

Quote:

remember guys, if you live in sweden and nudies are really popular, that is still not a large amount of people, afterall in the states you probably don't have that many people wearing nudies, since sweden is what the size of jersey,, so that is not that many people.

in the u.s. i'd say that nudies are basically non existant, only denim heads will get that stuff and pay that much for it, like wise with any preminum brands, sure you can say diesel/seven are really popular, that is because out of all the brands they were able to market enough to open their own stores in major cities across the country, and they were also able to stock their stuff in macys/bloomingdales, etc.. most other preminum denim companys just don't have that kind of clout.

you can't say that you will see 10 people on the street of manhatan, with apcs, nudies, 45rpm or other jeans on, most people will have on deisel/seven/calvins/levis/tommy, and all the other common brands i'd say.

--- Original message by sbrguy on Feb 25, 2006 12:25 PM

I mostly buy their washed jeans, so I can't speak for their selvage and dry. But the last two pair jeans I bought feels largely over-rated. The wash is nice, but in retrospect, the price didn't wasn't justified in comparison to quality. Nudie used to be better IMHO.

As I just said though, I can't speak for the quality of their selvage. But I've always felt that it lacks that extra oomph. But that's personal and not really inflicting on the fact that I still don't know much about the selvage quality.

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

alot of peep's don't like prps.... i like mine... they fit me pretty damn nice, maybe i like them more because in LA you don't see them everywhere like evisu and the like. i think seven's are really over rated though. i had a few pairs and none of them really fit perfect. i dunno why i kept buying them.... BAPE/ice cream and neighborhood i really don't like.

Edited by et negative five on Feb 24, 2006 at 08:42 PM

--- Original message by et negative five on Feb 24, 2006 08:41 PM

Speaking of Bape/Ice Cream/BBC denim, has anyone EVER run into anyone on the streets rockin a pair of jeans from either of these brands? I know I haven't. I wonder how well Ice Cream and BBC are really doin...i know Bape's fine because they got that hoodie and sneaker market, but seriously other than seeing Juno on the cover of Milk rockin the BBC and Ice Cream I haven't come across a soul in real life who wears that stuff.