Where to chainstitch in Europe?

pomata

• 2 weeks later...

seconded.

my Fullcounts:

4347116405_312a1e951e.jpg

absolutely professionell done,thanks again.

what amazes me is that i could do a huge doublecuff before and how little fabric is cut off to shorten them by 3 inches.

have to pick up the cutoffs of my buddies skulls which were hemmed from 36 to 31 as i need some patching on my bib.

Also I have to say that I was not aware of the fact that there's now another chainstitching service out there.

However, having checked the link to Tenue de Nîmes' blog, I have to say I don't think they're using a Union Special. I may of course be wrong on this one.... But the tell tale sign is that the photo they have posted does not show any twisting on the hem. You can see that the inseam is perfectly in line. If they had used a 43200G the seam would be at a significant angle. You can see this in the pick below:

seam_twist.jpg

It's the hem twist that gives the roping guys

It's worth pointing out that a chainstitch, in itself, is not unique; even my son's £14.99 H&M jeans feature a chainstitch, as do many high street jeans.

But they look different to vintage jeans finished with a Union Special; the shape looks different, as well as the roping.

• 2 weeks later...
i just sent two pairs (pbj 007 and sc 285) to menno @ tenue de nimes, amsterdam.

he charges €10 / pair, that´s less then half of Clerk´s price (18 GBP)!!

i´ll let you know about speed and quality once i have my jeans back.

http://tenuedenimes.blogspot.com/2010/01/chain-stitched-into-new-year.html

I'm really interested in your experiences with TDN.

Don't forget that Son of a Stag have 3 union specials and will do free hemming on any jeans bought from him.

Dr House, glad you got your jeans back ok. Again sorry for the delay with those.

Almost nice, wtf? So these got lost on the way to me and then lost again on the way back to you?

Mr Black - 3 union specials? Not expecting an answer to this, but, where the hell did you find three? Took me about two years to track down one and get the parts to get it running well.

No worries, I'm pretty happy with your work and with the jean. Btw, a friend from myNudies will probably ask you to do a 2-tone chainstitch on his SDA's. I've promised him my discount...:P:p:p

I wonder who that is :rolleyes:;) sorry can't rep you at the moment my man!

Right now i'm still contemplating on if i want to get them hemmed, and if i decide to do so how much i will get the inseam shortened...

The job on your SDA looks great though, would like to see some fit pics with the shorter inseam.

Well since i posted in this thread i might as well ask it here,

The Clerk is it possible to recreate the original chainstitch as close a possible using two different colours of thread?

Yes, it's no problem, I just different coloured thread for the top stitch and the loop stitch.

Thanks for the reply, that's great!

When i've decided whether i want them hemmed i'll contact you.

Anyone got their jeans back from Tenue de Nimes (Amsterdam) yet?

As I understand from this thread, it is still unsure if they do use a Union Special 43200G.. which are the ones that create a roping effect, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe Aztec can post an update on his jeans that were chainstitched by them?

As I live close to Amsterdam, TDN would be most convienent for me.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...
Guest Selvage Seb.

Because I hated the fact that no one in The Netherlands was able to hem with a chainstitch machine, I decided to buy my own one. (Tenue de Nimes offers is lately I heard?)

A few weeks ago I got my hands on this lovely chainstitch machine. Runs very smooth and makes very nice and even ropes. Oke, oke it's not the vintage lovers wet dream Union Special. But this one works very well too!

Still developing my skills, but I should be able to accept orders within a few more months

4941863794_c7f684e4e1.jpg

Originally a two needle machine, but I just use only one needle for hemming

4941870072_9ffbf576a0.jpg

Next to a Brother single stitch machine, both very powerfull machines and easy to work with

I'll keep you in touch!

Sebastian

Guest Selvage Seb.

^Thank you,

"TdN doesn't have the Union Special 43200G as well btw."

haha, you think those machines are around every corner or something?

I am new to this kind of machines, to the expierenced people in here; any comments and tips are appriciated!

"Where in the Netherlands do you reside?"

Located in Gelderland in a small, picturesque village..

Jeanspaleis offers this service for 15€. (7,5€ when a jeans is bought in store). Roger has a Union Spec. 43200 in his store. I just came from there, and saw the machine in action.

The adress:

St Pieterstraat, 61

6463CS, Kerkrade

The Netherlands

T. 045-5454219

[email protected]

Guest Selvage Seb.

Good to know, thank you!

Need to go soon to southern Holland to see this thing running.

Never been there but I heard a lot of good news about them.

Jeanspaleis offers this service for 15€. (7,5€ when a jeans is bought in store). Roger has a Union Spec. 43200 in his store. I just came from there, and saw the machine in action.

Are you sure they do repairs and hems by themselves?

Not 100% sure, but I think they outsource that sercive..

Very nice, although I've had good experiences with TdN with all kinds of repairs and hems, they're really good!

• 1 month later...