Where to chainstitch in Europe?

pomata

Michael @ The Denim Doctor is a really good bloke, I always get great service from him. He and his father are established bespoke tailors and the shop is a great place visit with all the pictures on the walls and racks of tweed etc. 

Without taking anything away from the person above, I personally recommend Son of a Stag, if you're London based. Had a pair of Visvim Social Sculptures done and they did it there and then. Only took 20 minutes or so.

Out of interest, do Rivet and Hide offer a repair service?

Without taking anything away from the person above, I personally recommend Son of a Stag, if you're London based. Had a pair of Visvim Social Sculptures done and they did it there and then. Only took 20 minutes or so.

Out of interest, do Rivet and Hide offer a repair service?

SOAS do great hemming too and I would recommend them. I had a pair chain stitched there before starting Rivet & Hide an acquiring our own Union Special 43200g. We also hem denim up to around the 25 oz. mark.

We do not offer a repair service as yet.

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

DC4 charge 20euro to chainstitch pre-owned jeans.

Edit- I didn't know about denim doctor over in Manchester my old stomping ground. Thanks for the bump :)

dc4 does not answer my emails

• 1 month later...

As juan bernardo mentioned earlier in this thread, the Denham store offers a great service. I already had my Momotaro's hemmed with a lockstich, but the tailor in the Denham store in Amsterdam wanted to chainstitch them right away last week on their Union Special, while i waited in a pair of natural indigo Denhams.

• 3 months later...

Mr Handy Denim Repair in Nederlands offers now a hem service with chainstitch.

Haven't tried this service yet, but I had a pair of jeans darned and repaired really well by him. great guy to deal with.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Handy-Denim-Repair/557460200965203

http://www.sonofastag.com/

Havent been down yet but i need to get some of my jeans done. Think cost is £20.

I second this, I had my current pair of samurais hemmed there! The owner is very cool, great shop and that £20 price includes after service too ie getting them re hemmed if need be! The shop is on brick lane in the East end so is easy to get to too!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That is good thinking, I will certainly do so. I suspect the 'finish' may not be quite the same as with a Union Special, I expect the seam alignment to be straighter via an industrial machine rather than the slight twisted angle that I believe creates the more obvious roping.

Just e-mailed Cary to see if he is still offering chain stitching, we'll be able to compare the two once the Denime are hemmed. Must admit to some nerves about having them cut shorter but I am fed up with double cuffs, sometimes triple on the FOB which appeared to shrink more notably in width than length... width I couldn't really afford to lose haha...

I just dropped my Warehouse off at Self Edge for the same reasons.  Sick of double cuffing every damn thing

Had my 710's hemmed by Michael at the denim doctor in Manchester. Really nice bloke, had a good chat and he advised some interesting shops to go to while waiting. I wouldn't say its quite as neat as the hemming done by 2nd before they were sent to me (or 2nds hemming on my subsequent 5000vx), but no complaints really. Especially as pointed out earlier he is not using a Union Special. He needed 3 hours to do them, so take that into consideration if you visit, and call first as I think it is only him there that can do it.

s5asDd0.png

wQweXru.png

w9s6KfB.png

DW5OLC4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Any update re: Dept of Works? I had a pair done by them several yrs ago and they did a great job. On the other hand Denim Dr shortened a pair of my Samurai's and I really am not impressed. Whilst they are chainstitched the roping is non existent.... Look like they've been done on a regular machine.

I now think I would like them tapered slightly and chainstitched. Any other ideas for this in UK?

/\ Yes will update soon. Very pleased indeed with the hemming that Cary (Dept. of Works) recently did for a pair of mine. Accurate, tidy work, good price and quick turnaround and a nice guy too. Recommended.

Could you please post up his email address again? Thanks.