Where to chainstitch in Europe?

pomata

I'm doing some part time work in son of a stag. The machine is in place and will be up and running pretty soon. Just a few teething problems to sort out first.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok,

So back in June I said I was gonna be starting to be able to do some chainstitching for all you members here in London / England / Europe who need the service but since then there have been one or two problems. Sourcing thread, replacing springs on the machine getting hold of the genius that supplied me with it to help me unjam it when it got nasty with me.

Anyway, just to wet your appetites again here she is my Union Special 43200G

hemmingway5.jpg

hemmingway6.jpg

hemmingway4.jpg

Anyway,

I have now managed to track down the right thread in the right thickness and a able to say that I can start to offer to hem people beloved denim. The thread that I have is a poly cotton mix witch is the same thread as used by LVC, the mighty Ande Whall and Flatheads' F (Frontier) series among many others.

Here's how the hems look at the moment with some close ups of the stitch:

Stitch_new1.jpg

Stitch_new2.jpg

Stitch_new3.jpg

Stitch_new_close.jpg

So,

Spurred on by the fact that there's now a little competition in providing the service I've decided to embark on a little PR...

The first 10 members who sign up here who want a pair of jeans hemmed can have it done for free. I'll be using poly core cotton mix thread and will attempt to match the colour as closely as possible. (I am in conversation with various manufacturers about sourcing 100% cotton but this is still a few weeks off)...

All I ask is that you pay the cost of return, registered post, back to wherever in the UK or Europe so that your jeans are safe.

Paul T has already given me his SDA 103 XX's to hem so he's no 1.

I look forward to hearing from the other 9 of you. Sign up on the thread and then I'll PM you as to where to send em.

Cheers

Cary aka The Clerk

Ok, so that's Paul T, almostnice, pomata, Paulo, Skeese, patchmb and Maynard Friedmann... that's 7...

Only seven people out there who want their jeans chainstitched for free? Looking for three more people who want to take advantage of this or I'm gonna start thinking that a Union Special was a seriously bad investment.

I'll PM the other seven of you later and thanks so much for the support.

Is there modern day machines that can do chainstitching?? and where do u buy one? (sorry this is really noob)

There is a thread on this already i think the end result was there is but the results aren't as good and that it wasnt designed to be used on such thick fabrics. I think one machine was a Janome.

i dont need any jeans hemmed at the moment, but next time i do, youll be top of my list CLERK, its good to know it can be done locally.

Likewise!!

Have you thought about approaching shops like Interstate or American Classics? I also reckon Albam would be work a nudge. Their jeans are fairly decent, but would REALLY benefit from a nicely chainstitched hem.

Likewise!!

Have you thought about approaching shops like Interstate or American Classics? I also reckon Albam would be work a nudge. Their jeans are fairly decent, but would REALLY benefit from a nicely chainstitched hem.

I also think Evisu would be interested as the store originally wanted to have a machine but werent able to source a machine and a person to actually provide the service.