Minimal, Tech Haus, Techno & Variants

jcotteri

• 2 weeks later...

this is good

Joris Voorn: "Here's the tape that made me wanna be a DJ.

Derrick May is one of our main headliners at Rejected's Amsterdam Dance Event 2012 night at Studio 80, 18th of october.

Since my early dj days, I consider Derrick May as a huge inspiration, and in particular this dj set. Broadcasted live in 1996 from the legendary Chemistry night at Escape, Amsterdam. It was recorded from midnight radio by my partner in crime Edwin Oosterwal who borrowed me the cassette tape which I never gave back to him, which reminds me I should do that sometime soon.

In this mix, Derrick May shows us that in 1996 dance wasn't pigeonholed to one style or sound. He mixes Moodymann's groovy deephouse with Jeff Mills and Surgeon's raw techno. He goes from Donna Summer's disco to Tyree Cooper's jacking electronic funk, from Masters of Work's new york house to Ian Pooley's epic chord techno. All of this is mixed in a fast and skillful pace, a style that so clearly carries Derrick's signature.

There's some truly magical moments in this mix, how he get's out of Surgeon's 'Syllable' into Global Communication's 'Sensorama' at 1:09 leaves me speechless..

Even though by now I know most of the record he plays here, there's still a few I've been looking since the very first time I heard this mix. Would be great to get the tracklist completed, any help is greatly appreciated!

ha thats cool,

new lukid, (who i personally have never listened to but this song is pretty cool and hes supposedly dropping a new ep in 3 days)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6IMZVXEU_as

new koreless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL0rRis4Mbk

Edited by joeyod007

Prologue has been releasing good stuff for a while yeah.

They have a label night on the 2nd of november with abdulla rashim, sabbatini, cassegrain... but somewhere else Surgeon, Sigha and Tommy Four Seven are playing at the same time... It will be hard to choose where to go... and the next day Shifted, Subjected and Deepchild play at some other venue.

Prologue has been releasing good stuff for a while yeah.

They have a label night on the 2nd of november with abdulla rashim, sabbatini, cassegrain... but somewhere else Surgeon, Sigha and Tommy Four Seven are playing at the same time... It will be hard to choose where to go... and the next day Shifted, Subjected and Deepchild play at some other venue.

Yes but that is a dilemma almost every weekend in Berlin ;) there is also a Get Perlonized party that night too D:

The nice thing about Berlin though is the parties last for such a long time it makes it much easier to hit up multiple shows than in the states where it's a small timeframe of like 10-2.

I can't wait to go back to Berlin, there's so many odd venues I've yet to go to, a bit over hitting up Berghain though unless it's Sunday morning. ://about blank on the other hand remains one of my favorite venues in all of Berlin

Edited by 5-4=Unity