Patrik Ervell S/S 10 New York

Advantage

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't bothered reading the SZ thread.... but for me, Ervell has always seemed like a man immersed in an American way of life, but forever an outsider looking in.........In the shit, but not of the shit....if you take my meaning. His design aesthetic doesn't strike me as hyper-American at all...or of a man with some kind of continental love-affair....not nearly as much as some people seem to think. It's plain to see more of a British shoe-gazer aesthetic in his clothing (which he has openly stated to be a major and continual source of inspiration for his designs) Lets not forget that the "shoegazer look" is a late 80's, early 90's British altrock look. Splash a little bit of American ingenuity and a dash of Swedish common sense, and you have Ervell.

I think that if you're about 27-35 years old, you can't help but be drawn to these outfits out of nostalgia...no matter where you're from.....myself included.

this is another major point i keep forgetting to mention, the shoegaze/alt brit spirit in ervell's clothing. i would note, however, that what a lot of those dudes were into was american sportswear that stood in contrast to casual british clothing of the time. you dont use slowdive as your runway music multiple times for nothing...

well said; ervell like a wim wenders of menswear

>conceptual and wearable

>masculine and relaxed

yeah yeah

don't forget progressive fabric applications/technology and some of his GENEROUS cuts in a time when slim slim is the in thing

and club collars are niiice

still on the lookout for the wool perfecto from 06 (i think) feel free to pm immediately if you got one in red or blue

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really excited about the direction of this label, I think he has found his mark making wearable, classic clothes with a flattering silhouette. I think someone earlier described it as masculine yet relaxed, so so true.

I've seen some early looks, people are really gonna like FW10.

I usually prefer fall collections but Ervell is one of the few designers whose spring collections always interest me far more. I think it's something to do with the lightness and ease of his silhouettes and fabrics that make his stuff so compelling. Any chance you might share some details about fall, nlim3482?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOI4lzI6Gmk&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOI4lzI6Gmk&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

First time I've seen him talk about his clothes and the philosophy behind it.
Apparently,not only the rusty looking stuff has been treated with iron oxide,he also used copper oxide for the green and rosé clothes.
It's such a shame,that he's constantly losing stockists.

anyone know other stores in London carrying Ervell?

this.

ervell is definitely my favorite designer at the moment. his mark for subtlety is spot on and i suppose, depending on taste/preference, that sometimes borders on boring. regardless, i think his silhouette is perfect in terms of being slim without going too far. i hope he keeps going for quite some time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Listen, you send me some Ervell gear, I will send you some pictures and keep my mouth shut.

The beauty of the oxide shirting is really just breaking my heart. I know my lifestyle is too rough and tumble and my wardrobe not deep enough to justify throwing down 280 bones on a fragile shirt.

^ Spoke with the owner of SW..

He apparently sent back a bunch of stuff b/c it was MiK.

He did keep some knits that were made in Peru, though.

It's a shame b/c their previous SS buy was excellent.

was it sent back purely because it was made in korea, or because there was an obvious decrease in the quality of the garments because of the change of production location?

seems a little irrational if the former is the case.