Patrik Ervell S/S 10 New York

Advantage

ervell's work with fabrics and materials is reminiscent of lang, but the spirit of it feels a little different. the visual references he uses are much narrower and his tone is lighter; lang came from a wider spectrum of starting points, with a conscious intellectual bent. perhaps this specificity is simultaneously ervell's strength and weakness...

all that said and done, i like this :)

the chasm between ervell's references and tone and lang's are a given, of course.

however, i think the spirit is quite similar [thus the point i was making].

that approach to working with fabrics and materials within a particular framework, and the goal of marrying conceptual/difficult ideas to highly-wearable and "classic" garments, to me, aligns ervell with a designer

like lang. i think that ervell is just as cerebral as lang, his aesthetic tastes

just happen to veer towards lighter moods.

the specificity is definitely a strength and weakness, but i thoroughly feel that, much like lang, full appreciation of ervell's work won't actually come to pass on a larger scale for years.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to onemancult , my quote feature isnt working .

My concern is that Ervell's career may be cut short prematurely , Im assuming its difficult to survive and make a living when your clothes dont sell.His aesthetic just happens to be something im attracted to and so I seek out his garments.''We dropped Ervell'' pretty much sums up most fw09 queries from his ''stockist'' list.

Just bums me out when someone this talented isnt appreciated while someone like Odyn Vovk makes pathetic collections and is unavoidable on online webstores.

to onemancult , my quote feature isnt working .

My concern is that Ervell's career may be cut short prematurely , Im assuming its difficult to survive and make a living when your clothes dont sell.His aesthetic just happens to be something im attracted to and so I seek out his garments.''We dropped Ervell'' pretty much sums up most fw09 queries from his ''stockist'' list.

Just bums me out when someone this talented isnt appreciated while someone like Odyn Vovk makes pathetic collections and is unavoidable on online webstores.

ive heard conflicting reports about how well ervell does internationally, but yeah, i could see ervell's career as a designer for an eponymous line being cut short. however, i do see him having a long career as a designer, and i'd actually really love to see him take the helm somewhere.

it is definitely a shame that he doesnt do better commercially... cant really say for sure what the next few seasons will be like, but i do know that a few stores are really excited about this ss10 collection.

I think he would sell well in canada. dunno if theres more than a store that stocks his clothes, but it would be a nice addition to a boutique in montreal. people are buying more "classic" and less "complicated" clothes and this would sell well. I'm really interested by his work and I'd like to handle them, but I can't.

• 2 weeks later...

fuck if i was rich i'd buy ervell. he be saved.

I don't get why his stuff " don't do well ". Or people 'don't get it'. I suppose that's part of the charm of Ervell- it's not so mainstream, like. I mean, just look at his collections. So good and consistent

I think it's a fantastic collection, but I feel that way about almost all of his stuff. A lot of people might not feel this way, but I feel that Ervell is very masculine and relaxed.

I know very well that cross-forum shit-talk is a no, no...

... But the negative criticisms on SZ of this collections is probably the most retarded, pretentious, utterly laughable garbage I've ever read in my life. Check it out for a chuckle. Servo actually made the only good point in the entire poop party. From people calling it "h&m" (not desperate or costumey enough?) or saying that the use of rust either wasn't original enough or didn't convey the "depth and soul"of rust as a conceptual process itself.

Who are these people?

Ervell is very interesting to me. It's not desperate and it doesn't scream out for people to think you're well-read or listen to Frank Bretschneider or something. I wonder how kind the Scandinavian markets are to him...

yeah, i've read the rant on ervell over at SZ as well,

and it's just very snobby and pretentious..

If I had more money, I'd buy 9-10 pieces from his collection continually.

Yeah, I feel guilty about lashing out about another forum, but I get the feeling that this is the reaction that it's getting and it would be a huge shame to see him fall off the map. This is from a previous season, but this is still inspiring the shit out of me:

23.JPG

Restraint.

I haven't bothered reading the SZ thread.... but for me, Ervell has always seemed like a man immersed in an American way of life but a bit of an outsider looking in. It's plain to see more of a British shoe-gazer aesthetic in his clothing (which he has openly stated to be a major and continued source of inspiration for his designs) Lets not forget that the "shoegazer look" is a late 80's, early 90's British altrock look. Splash a little bit of American ingenuity and swagger and a dash of Swedish common sense, and you have Ervell. I think that if you're about 27-35 years old, you can't help but be drawn to these outfits out of nostalgia...no matter where you're from.....myself included.

With this collection, he drew heavily on symbolism. So of course you're going to get people saying that they don't get it....But honestly, what's to get?? The man clearly stated his intentions in plain English. You either like it, don't like it, or are indifferent toward it.

As someone who owns too much Ervell....i will say this, he should probably look into standardizing his sizing from season to season. Especially the trousers, which are unbelievably inconsistent. That and upgrading his zippers (while saying within the YKK line if possible - cos otherwise it just wouldn't seem like Ervell) :P

The SZ reaction to this collection was far too predictable,posting that thread there was just asking for trouble.

I like the pace at which Ervell is evolving as a designer , it seems more organic and less forced than other designers in his area.

+ That lovely overcoat is up at Bblessing.If I only i had the means right now :(

>conceptual and wearable

>masculine and relaxed

yeah yeah

don't forget progressive fabric applications/technology and some of his GENEROUS cuts in a time when slim slim is the in thing

and club collars are niiice

still on the lookout for the wool perfecto from 06 (i think) feel free to pm immediately if you got one in red or blue