Patrik Ervell S/S 10 New York

Advantage

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes i feel like im on my own with my love for Patrik Ervell,especially after nearly half his stockists dropped him for fw09.It was a great collection -despite Mr.Blanks insinuating it was a ''dud''

This however is brilliant.The colours are amazing.Perfect example of how to be conceptual yet not sacrifice wearability in the slightest.

ervell is easily my favorite designer working today, particularly when i take into account how well his clothes fit me right off the rack and how well they fit into my perspective on how i dress.

that line about being conceptual without sacrificing wearability hits the nail on the head, and frankly, that presents a double-edged sword for the american market, in my opinion. retailers here have no idea how to sell something that hits both of those points; they can push something classic and wearable like crazy, and they can whip up a frenzy for conceptual pieces that fall outside the box, but have no idea how to sell a line like this, especially at ervell's price point which i'll admit i struggle to accept.

its a shame, and it shows how short-sighted the industry is... ervell is basically doing what helmut lang did in the 90s and it seems like the only people paying attention are the people who get it.

A cool bit of info on the rust treatment that's on some of the pieces from The Moment blog:

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/weird-science-patrik-ervells-science-project/

"Oxidized fabrics on the Patrik Ervell runway.

Guys can always count on Patrik Ervell for a slim-fitting suit (not too tight) and the perfect club-collar shirt. But Ervell also has a thing for developing new fabrics and technical processes, and last week he was kind enough to let us into his studio (to see him and his dog Lucy) as he prepared his spring 2010 show. He explained that he wanted to discover a special way of playing with fabric.

I came upon the idea by trying to think of new American motifs,” Ervell said. “Cotton stained by rust or by copper patina felt American to me. And it feels like a good time to use a kind of decay as a central motif for the collection. I wanted to try something completely new, something I’d never seen before. It took a fair amount of experimentation and trial and error to figure out the best way of getting the metal to oxidize properly onto the fabric.”

Ervell’s method of staining cloth with iron and copper oxide was very labor intensive and involved spreading out tiny metal shavings on the fabric, soaking it in a saline solution, then leaving it to sit for a week. Did it all work out? We certainly think so. Fresh from the runway, here (above) are the results of Ervell’s fashion lab experiments."

0914ervell.2.jpg

A cool bit of info on the rust treatment that's on some of the pieces from The Moment blog:

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/weird-science-patrik-ervells-science-project/

"Oxidized fabrics on the Patrik Ervell runway...

Thanks for posting, that's very interesting. I wonder if that has any effect on the ability of the garment to be washed (or even dry cleaned) :confused:

ervell is basically doing what helmut lang did in the 90s and it seems like the only people paying attention are the people who get it.

ervell's work with fabrics and materials is reminiscent of lang, but the spirit of it feels a little different. the visual references he uses are much narrower and his tone is lighter; lang came from a wider spectrum of starting points, with a conscious intellectual bent. perhaps this specificity is simultaneously ervell's strength and weakness...

all that said and done, i like this :)