An Un-Official Discussion of Doughnutness

ordo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i probably go through this entire thread once every two weeks and it bums me out everytime just because we don't have any extraordinary donut shops in the bay area..at least sunnyvale/sanjose/cupertino/southbay shit.

someone open up a donut cart/truck around here.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too many good donut shops around my neck of the woods either. Mostly Dunkin and grocery stores, a few local bakeries but nothing exceptional. Lost both Krispy Kremes in the area.

Used to know of a really good shop near the Pitt campus called Kuntz Bakery, but they closed a while back. I always got my fix whenever I was in the area from the bakery; they could make just about anything donut-wise.

There used to be a good Chinese restaurant with excellent Chinese donuts just a few miles from where I live, but they closed suddenly last month.

They're all pretty average. I recommend getting the Sour-Cream glazed. Probably the best of the bunch. If you're into chocolate, the chocolate glazed is pretty decent too. A lot of them are just overwhelmingly sweet.

i probably go through this entire thread once every two weeks and it bums me out everytime just because we don't have any extraordinary donut shops in the bay area..at least sunnyvale/sanjose/cupertino/southbay shit.

someone open up a donut cart/truck around here.

stans donuts, dude. pyscho donuts is also "extraordinary" if you're into that.

5813542123_9161a8127f_z.jpg

i had the best donuts of my life a couple weeks ago at Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu. their malasadas ("hawaiian donuts") are hands down the tastiest fcking doughnutness i've ever experienced. if you ever visit waikiki, this place is a must.

in the pic: cinnamon (bottom 2, my favorite), sugar (top lefts), banana creme filled and custard filled (top rights)

• 2 months later...

Place that is worth trying out, Randy's Donut in LA, and very close to LAX. But let me warn you, this place is not about its "extraordinary, unique, variety" of donuts. This is just your simple donuts but done right. Few recommendations: jelly, plain glazed and cinnamon roll. Their dough is extra nice and chewy and i think this is what makes this place stand out but so good. Dont go at night, go there early afternoon, late morning to get whatever is left, they sell out pretty quickly.

pictures290.jpg

• 1 month later...

primo's donuts

some of the freshest and tastiest donuts in west LA, without a doubt.

only downside is that they close super early, like 4pm in the afternoon and earlier.

cinnamon butterfly roll

p1120618t.jpg

p1120625.jpg

this one is crazy. it's kind of like a sideways cinnamon bun, i guess. nice fluffy texture, but a bit too heavy for me

glazed buttermilk

p1120627w.jpg

p1120630.jpg

damn

one of the best buttermilk donuts i've had (up there with SK's donuts). perfectly crumbly and buttery on the inside.

cinnamon crumb cake

p1120631s.jpg

p1120633.jpg

an ideal donut to dunk into coffee, thick and sturdy, but still light and crumbly on the inside. just the right amount of cinnamon sugar too

stan's donuts

blueberry cheese

p1120655.jpg

p1120659a.jpg

one of the BEST donut experiences i've ever had.

this was literally a couple of minutes after they had finished cooling, so they they were still warm and fresh. there is blueberry jam on top, and this light creamy cheese filling on the inside. everything literally melted in my mouth. highly recommended!