am i going to want to kill myself in hawaii?

so my bud just moved to honolulu for school and calls me a week into the endeavor and informs me that his roommate absolutely hates it and is flying home immediately. he claims he's got an empty bedroom thats paid for through the end of the year. i just so happen to be finishing up work in a week and was planning on going and bumming around europe indefinitely.

my question is am i going to want to kill myself in hawaii? is there any steez there whatsoever or will i be overrun by jocks on permanent vacation and families on holiday sporting fanny packs? dilemma.

itll suck if you aint asian

i was talking to a traveling nurse and apparently she was totally ostracized from the people she was working with and even told that she didn't fit in. she b white. true story.

jmatsu is there.

that's some steeziness

HI is pretty multi cultural... ummm, actually the two dominant species are asian/asian mixes and white people, with the occasional latin American/black/islander thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, given your 2 choices I would definitely be wandering around Europe, but why not try and do both?

HI is really only good in small doses IMO, so go relax in HI for a couple weeks and then escape to the EU?

Also, where are you coming from?

And, are you into the beach/watersports?

If your answer to the second question is no, and you are not looking for Asian girls just head to Europe.

im coming from NY/NJ and yea im totally down with some water sports and figure i can spend a fair amount of time chillin really hard in HI. it'd probably be a good spot to kick back and do some reading or working on some creative endeavors if i can find some secluded spots.

getting down when the sun is down is what im concerned about. are there any cool dive/indie/hipster/rock bars or clubs??

HI is pretty multi cultural... ummm, actually the two dominant species are asian/asian mixes and white people, with the occasional latin American/black/islander thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, given your 2 choices I would definitely be wandering around Europe, but why not try and do both?

HI is really only good in small doses IMO, so go relax in HI for a couple weeks and then escape to the EU?

Also, where are you coming from?

And, are you into the beach/watersports?

If your answer to the second question is no, and you are not looking for Asian girls just head to Europe.

last time i was in hawaii i was in super-touristy part.

there were more jap people/shops there than anywhere i had been elsewhere in continental usa. not only that, but the entire fucking thing reminded me of disneyland, super expensive fake shit.

um, i would suggest staying there for a week before u commit, it might suck after a month or two.

surfing was good at random beaches nearby, via road trip, but locals are FUCKERS. some are cool, some hate your (my) non-local guts.

but pidgin english is hilarious anyway you crack it just don't make fun of the accent face-2-face.

im coming from NY/NJ and yea im totally down with some water sports and figure i can spend a fair amount of time chillin really hard in HI. it'd probably be a good spot to kick back and do some reading or working on some creative endeavors if i can find some secluded spots.

getting down when the sun is down is what im concerned about. are there any cool dive/indie/hipster/rock bars or clubs??

- music scene sucks in HI for obvious reasons, you may see three or four major (not mainstream) US bands/tours come through there a month, and because of this there aren't many suitable mid-sized venues.

- you can find plenty of secluded spots as long as you stay away from the waikiki front, the touristy beaches east of diamond head, and the bustle up in haleiwa and up the north shore from there.

- believe it or not, Honolulu public transportation is top-notch. The entire island of Oahu is accessible by a $2.25 bus fare within a max travel time of 2-3 hours, usually more like 45 minutes even for the furthest spots. I'm assuming you won't always have a car at your disposal, so traveling on your own can be done. Or get a scooter if you think you/your friend can sell it when you're ready to leave, but i wouldn't do that myself

- there is no steeze there. sorry.

- there are some pretty chill "art bars" as i've heard some local friends call/describe them, I think down near HPU and chinatown, but I've never been so can't really comment.

- there is more shopping diversity there than large US cities like houston/dallas/sandiego/phoenix/atlanta because of the tourism, but certainly not anything to keep you busy for more than a day. Couple streetwear shops like In4mation, Fitted, Kicks/HI, there's one shop that carries Visvim and originalfake stuff a couple blocks north of Ala Moana, then shops like Aloha Rag and Leather Soul. There's a Barney's NY outlet over in west oahu...

I think the bottom line is you'll probably keep a lot busier in EU (esp at night) but you'll also spend a lot more money, and in HI you might be bored from time to time but you'll be able to read/work on stuff and relax.