SINGAPORE

martin weathers

Hi - I'm travelling to Bali for a break in a little while and have a 4 day stopover in Singapore on the way back to the UK. Can any previous visitors or residents give me a heads up on where to go shopping? So far I've been given Simlin Sq for electronic gear but, as per usual, I'm into the usual streetwear culprits and higher end clothing. Can you get Supreme in Singapore? What about labels like PAM, Surrender, VISVIM, Headporter, Neighbourhood, Acronym and Idiom? Do Stussy have an franchise out there?

All help gratefully received - I've checked the city guide stuff and can see Ambush needs to be checked but would love to know where else or which of the malls is a sure bet...

Also - what is the pricing like against the UK£? I've been trying to find pricing on websites but struggled to be honest.

Many thanks! Martin

Edited by martin weathers on Feb 17, 2006 at 03:33 AM

you can get some supreme but not at retail. expect to pay at least SGD80 for a tee. some stores that might have supreme: gallery at pacific plaza, parallel at far east plaza (FEP).

PAM: head over to ambush at FEP.

visvim, headporter and acr : surrender at FEP. visvim can also be found at some independent sneaker stores at FEP like parallel or leftfoot (i think). beware the visvim prices there are not the cheapest you can find, probably SGD400 for a pair of FBT?

nbhd: miklio and large at FEP, dissident at queensway, belief at peninsula shopping ctr. again, since they are not official stockists, don't expect to pay japan retail for nbhd stuff.

i've never seen any idiom there, i don't think 3L goretex sells in a country with a temperature of 90F all year around.

stussy flagship : pacific plaza. i think tees are priced at around SGD50.

I'd say go to FEP and Pacific Plaza like everyone says. Another place to check out is Heeren where HMV's located. U might pick up some good kicks there. I think the store was on the 3rd floor. Other than that, I'm not too impressed with Singapore's selection when it comes to clothes. No offence to anyone.

I might be setting myself up for some flaming but IMO SG's selection is really quite limited and the brands that are brought in are pretty much the same. But then its understandable as most pple are not willing to fork over the cash for the good stuff. Another factor is the extremely humid weather which limits most collections to Spring and Summer. Well its just my 2 cents.

Edited by Jz3 on Feb 20, 2006 at 11:24 PM

Actually I agree with you, Jz3

Having lived in Singapore for a while, I have noticed that people here then to go for a casual attire that's affordable, since you sweat so much that nice clothes will eventually stink, or worse. Also, you can't really have a nice variety of fashion, since space for retail is so small, and not many people know about or are into niche stuff really.

Although for those living there now, can you give me a quick run-down of the top 10 most popular brands? Just out of curiosity.

Getsuga Tenshou

Edited by DJ_Flame on Feb 21, 2006 at 01:39 AM

its hard to say what the most popular brands are in singapore..

i guess the majority of people in singapore go for levis, topshop, girls go with mango and zara, that kinda thing.

few are into the high fashion thing.

a growing number into the street nonsense, such as bape, bxh, etc.

not many people into niche labels. in case you are wondering, no apc in singapore.

there is a store called RedWolves selling evisu, red monkey, and a very few pieces of tsubis.

there is also a store called blackjack in forum which sells y3, maharishi, keanan dufty, but honestly, at the prices they sell their stuff, go on ebay and knock yourselves out.

i saw a pair of maharishi snopants at the store going for like SGD1200.... fuckeneh. i saw those exact same pants on ebay for like 60GBP BIN. so, IMO, they can fuck off.

thats abt it.

oh, if you're into the street thing, theres this store in FEP called MIKLIO, which clears out their stock pretty regularly, the bape, undercover, nbhd go for abt 50% off during clearouts. so, you might wanna look at tt.

out.

For printed Tees, try FOUR SKIN in Heeren. If u looking for the higher end stuff then check out my previous post. As for sneakers, Queensway would be a pretty good bet.

But if u want any stuff like APC, Rag & Bone, Blueblood etc I'd doubt u'd find it in SG. Even if u did find brands like that, their price is definately jacked up by quite a bit.

you can find rag and bone at Habitat which is a denim shop located in Palais Renaissance, opposite the Hilton. Visit Hitlton arcade for giorgio armani, issey miyake, paul smith, balenciaga stores and go up the escalator at the end of level 2 to get to clubtwentyone for a a range of other designers

yeah, who says there is no APC in SG? Just got a pair of NS at FrontRow for SGD220. Kim Jones/Umbro has quite a decent collection there as well. there is a specially designed Kim Jones for FrontRow tee on the racks.

Ann Siang Hill/Club Street also has Asylum and Venue.

Can also try Agnes B at Scotts Isetan on Scotts Road/Orchard Road.

CdG +65 guerrilla store in on Haji Lane, also check out White Room a few shops down.