What is your "Holy Grail" item of clothing?

^owning grails kinda just sux because 

1. u hype it up way too much (expectation vs. reality)

2. your style changes and instead of going with that you buy something you're potentially not going to be happy with anymore just because you recalled that it was a "grail" and attached that status to it.

In the end it's just a toss-up

My favorite pieces are 50-50 shit I just bought impulsively & stuff I'd been searching for for ages.

Man, that second point is too true. So many times where I've always wanted for ages, but that I've outgrown stylewise, to the point I'd change my entire wardrobe for it. I guess I'm just far too impetuous. Even looking at stuff I posted a week ago, it's like "....ehh"

^owning grails kinda just sux because 

1. u hype it up way too much (expectation vs. reality)

2. your style changes and instead of going with that you buy something you're potentially not going to be happy with anymore just because you recalled that it was a "grail" and attached that status to it.

In the end it's just a toss-up

My favorite pieces are 50-50 shit I just bought impulsively & stuff I'd been searching for for ages.

you've outlined why i no longer get attached to very eccentric pieces from afar

outerwear might be my biggest weakness in that regard, and i'd often find myself pursuing outlandish coats before i finally realized how important versatility should be to me right now

i still love those clothes, but coming to terms with the fact that i didn't have the means to build a new wardrobe just to wear them somewhat regularly kept me from making regrettable purchases

what made me see them as so unattainable wasn't just the exclusivity or the initial investment; it was knowing that i'd have to spend even more to make the prized pieces work once i acquired them

i've also become sort of disillusioned with the idea of grails lately, but not for the same reasons nebulae posted. mostly just because it dawned on me that i could never pull them off. for instance these two items were my "grails" for the longest time:

tumblr_m5qvmcUeRS1qzj5ioo1_500.jpg

undercover ss11 basic riders

diet-butcher-slim-skin-destroyed-goat-le

dbss destroyed goats

while i guess they remain the most aesthetically pleasing leather jacket and sneakers to me, respectively, at some point i realized i just dont have the proportions for either of the pieces (let alone the $$$). idk, my fave/most worn shirt is still an AA flannel i bought for $1 secondhand three years ago, its been through a ton and sometimes those ultra-cheap purchases just can't be beat

@saffronrevolution, its just a leather jacket man , unless your like fat as fuck, you dont really need proportion to pull off a leather jacket.

@nebulae, so true man sometime i hunt some grail pieces i wanted for months and manage to get, and in the end i wore more my uniqlo basic and some beaten sneakers like nike or vans, and that 'grail' piece see like ONE or TWO wear a month lol.

Edited by aymerikmd

^ I'm often much less concerned with physical fit than I am with personality fit. Everyone says to wear what you like and whatever, but I'll be the first to admit that I look damned silly in any Rick I've worn, even though the Dagger blazer I had was undoubtedly one of the most beautiful things I've owned. I eventually purged my wardrobe of Rick... a lot of my grails are things that are better admired from afar.

^donno how I feel about that, I feel like it's part piece part personality

When I first bought my CDG drop-crotches I would never wear them because I just felt like I couldn't pull them off but eventually they became one of my favorite silhouettes.

I always believe you should let a piece get situated in your wardrobe for a bit before making any judgments 

^ that's fair. I kept my stuff for about 1.5-2 years which I think was long enough for me to get an objective view. 

By the way, your Soloist navy pajama dot shirt has been one of my grails for a minute now... been looking for one in medium for fucking EVER

Probably a bit goofy but my grail for years has been this Burberry Prorsum F/W 08 feather sweater.  Even if I had a chance to buy it I could never commit just because taking care of such a piece is beyond my comprehension & income.

00400m.jpg

edit: do remember it being on ebay when they were cleaning the closet for "Ugly Betty"

Edited by Desi

rough translation of your post;

go pm the guy to buy the pair he sold?

reply;

Yeah i already did, not my size however and i wanted to ask if they are DIY

because i am guessing it was a white and black swoosh pair and he has scratched/dyed the leather, not seen this iteration so i presume thats the case

so nice

• 1 month later...

All my grails are shoes. Don't know why I geek out about shoes more than anything. Descending order of how badly I would love to own them. Also I know first two are essentially the same, but I'd own them both if I could. 

od_usole_trainer-12-364x548.jpg

od_arthrosic_trainer-4-364x548.jpg

blistered_swoosh_dunk-1-364x548.jpg

sorry but those carols are ugly

Each there own I suppose. I for one enjoy them, hence why I dearly wish I owned them. They're not trying to be dressy, in fact their art is predominant in their executed ugliness and even a bit of the goofiness as posted above with those bounce shoes. Only issue is supposedly the U sole is fragile, so if I were to ever buy ccp drips I'd probably just get the classic sole. 

anything you can readily buy off a stockist at retail doesn't really qualify as a "holy grail".

I suppose you're right, there's just no thread for "If I could own any article of clothing, what would it be?". This is the closest to that, so figured my lusts belong here. At least my "grails but not actually grails" aren't incredibly impossible to track down granted I had the funds for them. 

Edited by Littlest Senpai

anything you can readily buy off a stockist at retail doesn't really qualify as a "holy grail".

re.porter isn't a stockist. They have one thing of each item.

Nowhere stocks U-soles in those colorways readily available, must special order

i just think the upset is cause they ugly

That's what I was thinking, I haven't seen this readily stocked anywhere except for Graham at re-porter occasionally having a pair. The assuredness of defiance's post made me think otherwise though. Still I suppose a "grail" would need to be even more rare and difficult to obtain, being an allusion to a nonexistent yet ever sought after piece of mythology. 

probably should have left out "off a stockist" in my previous post, but my point remains the same: anyone willing to pay retail can readily order a pair of the ccp drips. while the idea of a "holy grail" differs between individuals, it shouldn't apply to anything that is immediately accessible.

That's what I was thinking, I haven't seen this readily stocked anywhere except for Graham at re-porter occasionally having a pair. The assuredness of defiance's post made me think otherwise though. Still I suppose a "grail" would need to be even more rare and difficult to obtain, being an allusion to a nonexistent yet ever sought after piece of mythology.

as above; point taken re: no appropriate thread.

but the classics aren't ugly, which i suppose he might be saying..

U soles r buttaz

All Carol shoes are ugly, the drips look like you had a nice stroll through chernobyl. That's the whole point.