Hardware anyone? (Buttons, rivets, and zippers oh my.)

rnrswitch

I really need to spend more time on this thread. Sansome, your photos are making me want to spend my vacations out in the Utah desert looking for bits of jeans :)

Speaking of hard rubber buttons, I have a bunch (about 30) of vintage 13 star pea coat buttons that are WWI-era. Almost all are stamped on the back with 'AHR Co' and 'HP', the marks of the American Hard Rubber Company out of Butler, New Jersey. I also have about 20 of the 5/8" anchor buttons that were used for fastening the throat latch, and possibly on USN broadfall trousers. There was a time when there was a glut of these buttons on Ebay, but now there are just a couple of guys trying to sell them for $10 a piece.

buttonsw.jpg

Cool buttons^! I was told that the state of Utah closed it's mines a few years back, the ghost towns should still be a good place to snoop around.I was walking around a rock cabin 6 months ago(not in Utah) and found some 1880's Levi shank buttons, laying on the surface. You should get a old book, on Utah Ghost towns and mining camps. BTW thanks for putting my book on your Christmas wish list, thanks for that!!!

Cool buttons^! I was told that the state of Utah closed it's mines a few years back, the ghost towns should still be a good place to snoop around.I was walking around a rock cabin 6 months ago(not in Utah) and found some 1880's Levi shank buttons, laying on the surface. You should get a old book, on Utah Ghost towns and mining camps. BTW thanks for putting my book on your Christmas wish list, thanks for that!!!

My pleasure, Mike. It looks like an amazing book that you put a lot of work into.

I just got a book about Utah's lost mines with GPS coordinates, but I think ghost towns would be a much safer bet! Even if I don't find anything, it would surely make a great place for taking photos. I will look for that book for sure!

My pleasure, Mike. It looks like an amazing book that you put a lot of work into.

I just got a book about Utah's lost mines with GPS coordinates, but I think ghost towns would be a much safer bet! Even if I don't find anything, it would surely make a great place for taking photos. I will look for that book for sure!

I will send you a pm, and give you the names to some other really good books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5476996696_743c37403c_z.jpg

This is the press stud on the belt case that I've been carrying around for about 3 years.

The interesting bit is that it's sold as "solid brass", which it is. Kind of.

They start with a cheap brass plate finish, which chips away to reveal a nickel plate finish, which chips away again to reveal the true brass piece underneath.

I can't explain why they do this (to quite a lot of hardware), but it must be cheaper to manufacture them this way for some reason.

Anyway, I was frustrated by this at first, since I really like brass and it's hard to find good hardware, but ultimately I came to really appreciate this layered wear that develops.

5476996696_743c37403c_z.jpg

This is the press stud on the belt case that I've been carrying around for about 3 years.

The interesting bit is that it's sold as "solid brass", which it is. Kind of.

They start with a cheap brass plate finish, which chips away to reveal a nickel plate finish, which chips away again to reveal the true brass piece underneath.

I can't explain why they do this (to quite a lot of hardware), but it must be cheaper to manufacture them this way for some reason.

Anyway, I was frustrated by this at first, since I really like brass and it's hard to find good hardware, but ultimately I came to really appreciate this layered wear that develops.

My guess is that the nickel prevents the brass from corroding.. Because the additional process like electroplating to coat the brass with nickel actually increases the manufacturing cost.

What we call patina is actually the weakening of material to some. ;) I guess not everyone appreciates Wabi Sabi huh.?

• 2 weeks later...

5528715182_036bd7573f.jpg5528124649_376d74ca4c.jpg5528123815_fe6b56d10e_z.jpg

Rivet and suspender and fly buttons from a late 1890-91 Levi #2, I say number 2 because the label still has no lot numbers on it. I recently saw a label from a spring bottom pant from around the same time period(it had no lot number on it) I don't think lot numbers were put on in 1890?