milk tea

Guest Methimphibian

Guest Methimphibian

what's a good milk tea powder? and how close does it taste to the milk tea from boba shops?

I was thinking of buying this, i guess you just mix with water?? will it taste like shit?:confused:. I've tried Kirin afternoon milk tea too, i like the taste, but since i'm outside japan we have to pay $4 per 1.5L:(

Real talk, before my mom sold her coffee shop (coffee + boba concept) she was copping American brand creamers from Costco.

A couple of teaspoons per cup of hot black tea does the trick.

^ i will have to vouch for that technique. i used to use liptons "brisk" tea + creamer + sugar. it was pretty close to the real thing - at least from places like quickly or lollicup.

I actually ordered some powders & boba from that same site a while ago and it turned out pretty well. Didn't try the regular black milk tea powder, but the taro, green tea, and coffee were definitely good. I thought the taste was incredibly similar to what you'd get at any bubble tea vendor in n. america. I usually like to use around half water half milk to make it a little creamier. Tell us what you think when it arrives

I actually ordered some powders & boba from that same site a while ago and it turned out pretty well. Didn't try the regular black milk tea powder, but the taro, green tea, and coffee were definitely good. I thought the taste was incredibly similar to what you'd get at any bubble tea vendor in n. america. I usually like to use around half water half milk to make it a little creamier. Tell us what you think when it arrives

i stand corrected, cause the lipton ones that i've tried before were shit.

Guest Methimphibian

came in the mail today

IMG_2657.jpg

I forgot to buy creamer!! doh.

I went with 10oz water, bit of ice, 2 coffee scoopers of the mix, and some table sugar. then i noticed the color/taste was still off a little bit, added some 2% milk probably 3-3.5 oz to the glass plus little more sugar to sweeten, the color looked very close, smell was spot on, taste was close. if boba shop milk tea is a 10, i would say mine was a 8.5

I need to tweak the recipe a little bit.

going to pick up some creamer in a day or two and give it another go. I might try with raw sugar see if it helps or not. also need a dry oz measure too heh. I think i'll try 1/3 water 1/3 milk and 1/3 creamer and see how the consistency comes out. i'll take some more pics as well.

Guest Methimphibian
8.5 from powder is pretty damn good.

i think most boba shop uses real tea tho

yeah likely. although I have a lollicup close by and there's is really good, although next door is a dollar boba shop i frequent, and there milk tea color is very light, like an alternate taste. i should ask them if they brew it or use powder. although they seem like the type to say brew just to fool me into thinking it's authentic hahaha.

Lipton tea bag + milk + sugar does the trick for me. If you really want HK style milk tea you would use condensed milk in place of milk and sugar.

yeah i was also thinking about condensed milk i kept seeing that come up, I think i'll have to give your recipe a go as well heh

Also, if you want boba as well it's much more involved than making the milk tea. Usually takes a very long, slow boil to get the right consistency through the entire ball. I'm not that into boba itself, so I usually just make milk tea and forego the added carbs.

Boba is great.

I love it. But only for like one cup...per every like...half year... Anymore than that and it kind of gets gross, just fat and starch. But anyway, there are a lot of neato complex methods to it. The one I like the best is after you finish cooking it just drop it in honey while it waits to be consumed.

Shit will taste so goooood. And it's not a lot of extra work. Assuming you know how to cook that shit. And got good ingredients, etc.

tapioca (boba?) is the shit! lol

my friend used to work at a tea shop joint and i got him to give me extra tapioca, think 1/3 of a cup or half hahahah that shit was crazy.

now that hes gone i dont drink those stuff that much anymore, knowing how cheap it is to make those and how much they charge you makes you feel jipped LOLOL

Guest Methimphibian

made the HK style i believe, with condensed milk. This is a HUGE step up from the basic powder mix. Most of you are probably familiar with the Japanese Kirin afternoon milk tea, this tasted a lot closer to that than then boba shop milk tea. haven't found black tea anywhere close by so i just went with basic lipton. i wanted it a bit strong so i steeped it for like 25 mins.

This sort of sounds like the Arab drink sahlap?

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/RECIPES/drinks_wine/egypt_spiced_drink.html

when I read the title I just thought of when I would boil water add tea bags (Lipton yellow label), add dried sage (strain) and put like 25/75 milk/tea in a cup and sugar to taste

Guest Methimphibian

i think this particular milk tea originated from taiwan actually.

I think I will spend the next few weeks experimenting with milk tea. Afterwards I would like to get to work on producing mango lassi, another favorite drink of mine:).

Actually milk tea originated in HK I think where it got the name Boba, as most Taiwanese would recognize.

It was told to me once by a drunk Boba store owner at a club.

But I also heard some of the same from various boba factories and distributors I visited cuz my friend wants to open up a boba place in Tokyo.

Guest Methimphibian

sounds pretty cool, i hope it works out for your boy.

i would definitely like to see more legit tea houses open. there's more then enough lollicups/quicklys/mcboba shops that serve up tea that's made from some nasty syrup as authentic when they should be brewing their shit the right way.

Actually milk tea originated in HK I think where it got the name Boba, as most Taiwanese would recognize.

It was told to me once by a drunk Boba store owner at a club.

But I also heard some of the same from various boba factories and distributors I visited cuz my friend wants to open up a boba place in Tokyo.

Is your boy ABC?

If so, this is the reason why I hate ABCs.

Always coming 9 hours too late with everything. You know the first yogurt shops opened in Arcadia not too long ago? The worst part is that it's actually packed... 2006 concepts, hihi