Helmut Lang men's line closing

polishmike

Guest Phrost

brand been malignant since helmut left. i wonder if the brand could be bought and flipped around like jil sander. maybe raf could do it. it's rare to find a single designer with a strong vision who does mens and womens equally well

personally helmut lang should close down both mens and womens. the duo that took over lang is just not cutting it. i get very irritated when i see the pieces in store especially the jeans with the familiar white cardboard labelling on the waistband.

when they bought over hl, they should not attempt to progress what helmut has covered for the past decade. they should have just released classics/iconic pieces from past collections and turn it into an evergreen label of sorts. a best-of collection, maybe. something like ann demeulemeester blanc.

73968320.jpg

the people over at architectural clothing seem to be obsessed with bandage a la helmut.

35053719.jpg

detail2k.jpg

oh hi! déjà vu.

89982584.jpg

hmm this seems to have an essence of lang too. i am not so sure if raf/petrov would be suited for lang. im just having my reservations. raf obviously has spread himself out too thin in the past years. he is EVERYWHERE.

229c036003.jpg

no one can/will replace lang. forever.

Guest Phrost

those looks are straight copying lang, down to the quick release belt in the 2nd picture. i guess it's just holding out hope that he'll return. you're right, no one will be able to replace his vision

give it to petrov

Yes. I understand the concerns that Petrov couldn't "do it justice", but I'd prefer to see the brand produce interesting, new clothes that are less Lang-like than boring, uninspired clothes that are too Lang-like.

to be honest, i haven't seen anything very lang-like with the new lang team's work (design and material-wise). but to be brutal, i never paid them much attention. they're ghosts to me. but from what i do spy/forced to see, it's basically humdrum boring stuff that can pass of as theory.

i stick to my stand of closing the brand when he left. some things are better left untouched. call me a purist but the new lang is just devastatingly nondescript in the wrong lang way. i worry about maison margiela now... the legacy it has and what it will turn into... an "avant garde" ralph lauren of sorts.

good times no more. rip 2006.

semotan.jpg