Chicago Meetup

Leeacto

Combos are my death row meal. Definitely down for a beef meetup.

This has been discussed in the supertravel thread, but I'm down for a rehash.

What's your favorite spot for Italian Beef or Combo? Dry or dipped?

It's pretty standard, but personally I have to go with Portillo's (dipped). I've yet to have Al's, but Jay's on North Ave is still good.

1) Al's is great - not the same as Portillo's, and one of the first beef places in the city.

2) Johnnie's Beef is possibly the best in the city.

3) Portillo's is good - but the above two are better, I think...

Love Al's but it's pretty expensive, I guess all beef is though. Also like Buona. Dipped!

Johnnie's is pretty cheap!

So glad to be back out the burbs in a week. Still gonna have to commute to work back out, but only to Oak Park which is probably my favorite suburb anyway.

True, Johnnie's is hella west. But it's worth the trip, and really only good to go to in the summer, as you have to sit outside.

All this talk of Italian beef resulted in me going to Al's for lunch yesterday. Combo, dipped, with giardiniera. Delicious.

Here's a beef, hot, from Al's (you can tell by the giardiniera - this style is unique to Al's):

5920.jpg

Here's a pic of a combo from Portillo's, looks like with sweet peppers. Not how I'd get it, but it will still taste good!

portillos11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Food looks great, can't wait to explore some for myself.

I'm going to be headed to downtown Chicago with some family on Sunday for about a week, is there any good shopping I should look out for? Mostly into that superdenim.

Guest nowbaking
not really any good stores for denim dudes, all I can think of is Barneys..

i know this store isnt in chicago but theres a denim store called e-street denim in highland park i believe... may be worth checking out for some of you.

It's a sad scene...Most I've seen is RRL or Levi's Selvedge STF but I've actually seen good stuff when I worked part time at J.Crew...Oki's, Dry Bones, Samurai, etc you name it! All tourists of course...

Haven't heard many good things about Haberdash although I've never been. Trying to build up a list of good $10 a plate or less places in the city to try, anyone have recommendations?