Chicago Meetup

Leeacto

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a Kumas Corner right now, this place fucking rocks. I have a bacon and sweet corn mac n cheese and a Pantera burger on my way. Is this heaven or is this hell?

They both taste great, so that is heavenly. However, if you are planning on eating both by yourself, you might find that to be hell!

Can't wait to move into my apartment... 2 weeks from today

If anyone wants to meetup/ hangout when I do, I'm definitely down though I can't drink out for a few more months.

Bangers & Lace is a fine place.

Met some really nice-looking woman called Emily last night at DeVille. She left with a friend when it closed, but invited me to move on with them to another spot. Should've gotten her number before they left, as I was unable to join them after all. Fuck.

Got back from my first visit to Chicago yesterday. Loved it. Great city you guys have. and here's what I ate in a span of 24 hours:

5784989915_ce6a56654b_b.jpg

lou malnati's

5785544834_865c659e33_b.jpg

portillo

5785544888_481071fff9_b.jpg

kuma's corner

i dont know if Portillo's is considered good for hot dogs in your city, but damn, they need to bring Chicago style hotdogs over to the west coast.

Chi City, i'll be back!

Got back from my first visit to Chicago yesterday. Loved it. Great city you guys have. and here's what I ate in a span of 24 hours:

5784989915_ce6a56654b_b.jpg

lou malnati's

5785544834_865c659e33_b.jpg

portillo

5785544888_481071fff9_b.jpg

kuma's corner

i dont know if Portillo's is considered good for hot dogs in your city, but damn, they need to bring Chicago style hotdogs over to the west coast.

Chi City, i'll be back!

Fallen Angels, great post - if you ever get a hankering for Lou's or a Chicago-style hot dog, you can have it shipped, if you want. There are two Portillo's in California - one in Buena Park, and the other in Moreno Valley (not sure where you live on the West Coast).

Fallen Angels, great post - if you ever get a hankering for Lou's or a Chicago-style hot dog, you can have it shipped, if you want. There are two Portillo's in California - one in Buena Park, and the other in Moreno Valley (not sure where you live on the West Coast).

i really wanted to try Hot Dougs but they close so early on Saturday and were closed on Sunday. i HAD to eat a chicago hot dog while i was there so i went to Portillo's since it was close to where i stayed (downtown). i still plan on eating a Hot Doug one day though, another reason for me to go back again in the future haha. i dont get why Chicago style hot dogs arent available in more places. i mean, we got chicago style pizzerias in cali, why not hot dogs?

my favorite was Kuma's Corner though. i got there 20 minutes before they opened, in a f'ing thunderstorm, and there was still a line around the corner. i saw that as a very good sign, it got me even more excited. once i got in i couldnt believe how much i liked the vibe inside. heavy metal, tattooed staff, a bar with good beer, bear (kuma) theme, mac'n'cheese, and a crazy ass burger menu. the whole time i kept thinking, "i gotta open a place like this in SF, that serves chicago hot dogs too."

i really wanted to try Hot Dougs but they close so early on Saturday and were closed on Sunday. i HAD to eat a chicago hot dog while i was there so i went to Portillo's since it was close to where i stayed (downtown). i still plan on eating a Hot Doug one day though, another reason for me to go back again in the future haha. i dont get why Chicago style hot dogs arent available in more places. i mean, we got chicago style pizzerias in cali, why not hot dogs?

my favorite was Kuma's Corner though. i got there 20 minutes before they opened, in a f'ing thunderstorm, and there was still a line around the corner. i saw that as a very good sign, it got me even more excited. once i got in i couldnt believe how much i liked the vibe inside. heavy metal, tattooed staff, a bar with good beer, bear (kuma) theme, mac'n'cheese, and a crazy ass burger menu. the whole time i kept thinking, "i gotta open a place like this in SF, that serves chicago hot dogs too."

Well done!

Lou Malnati's is my favorite, or at least on the very short list. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Evidently, there are some folks who haven't had the same luck here: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=279738&page=2

Yeah, wow. Some people are hard to impress. If (generally) friendly people, a cosmopolitan environment, good architecture, a plethora of good bars, and oh yeah, great food don't move the runners over for you, I don't know what to say. When (someone I respect/mancrush, anyway) Anthony Bourdain says Chicago is one of only two metropolises (is that a word) in the US, that says something.

True, but I think basically every place on earth is mostly that way. But for a vacation, it's not too hard to do some research and figure out where you'd like to go while you are in a particular place. I guess what I am saying is, I agree, but if you go somewhere for a vacation, and have a bad time because you don't plan your activities, you're basically kind of lazy, and deserve the bad time you had (unless you have copious amounts of money that allow you to stand in one place and demand of the world "ENTERTAIN ME!" as you throw wads of cash into the air at the massed crowds at your feet).

^It really is such a subjective thing but it's not the first or last time I've heard Chicago get flack...As was said, you either need to know what/how to appreciate, or you have to live here for a while...There's so much to see and do, that if you're not actively seeking, you won't get much out of it (if that makes sense) since it's easy to get caught up in the"touristy" side of the city...For a majority of tourists, I imagine most people don't even make it past the bean and the Magnificent Mile which is a major error...

Take it or leave it, I consider Chicago my home and it always feels good to be back...Granted, we don't have much in the way of shopping, however...;)

Chi City, i'll be back!

It's much more classic and famous here than Hot Dougs. Tourists come here for hot dougs, but us Chicagoans have been and are eating Portillos on the regular. Not that Hot Dougs isn't good, but Portillos is much more of a household name in Chicago.

Edit:

I had to neg DismalFuture for that BS rant about our city, I'm sure he never gets any negs anyway

Go for the deep dish, the hot dogs aren't THAT great/special :) (Maybe I'm just used to them and don't know what they taste like anywhere else)