Chicago Meetup

Leeacto

• 4 weeks later...

Kuma's for a burger: http://www.kumascorner.com/food

Hot Doug's for a hot dog/sausage: http://www.hotdougs.com/

Mr. Beef for an italian beef sandwich: http://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-beef-on-orleans-chicago

Smoque for bbq: http://www.smoquebbq.com/menu.html

Honorable mention: Nightwood(burger), Wolfy's(hot dog), Byron's(hot dog), Wiener's Circle(hot dog), Al's Italian Beef on Taylor(beef and hot dog),

There are many, many places for great pizza. Honestly, it depends on what style you prefer. These are all good:

Coalfire

Pequod's

Sonny's

The Art of Pizza

Piece

Lou Malnati's

In addition to those listed above, you really can't go wrong with the larger, well-established joints everyone knows -- Gino's East, Aurelio's, Pizzeria Uno.

+1 to Pequods

Piece is good if you like fancy thin crust (not NY style)

Personally, I hate Gino's. I think their crust sucks, but Lous/Giordano's is always a win for me.

Oh yeah, and if you're out drinking (or whatever) in Wicker Park, go to Big Star. It's always packed, which sucks, but when you have the tacos you'll understand why.

Leeacto is right, hit Big Star. The al pastor tacos are fucking amazing, as is their whiskey selection. The wait can be a bit much, but its always worth it. As far as the pizza is concerned, Gino's is certainly weaker than Lou Malnati's and the others.

^Agreed on all of the above...It's getting to be a real gorgeous time of the year around these parts. Make sure to hit up Lake Shore Drive for the beaches, biking etc. And also, take the water taxi to Chinatown if you decide to go that route...Real touristy/scenic type stuff but great sightseeing IMO...What's your itinerary like?

A good way to look at it is also what part of the city you'll be in. There are some really good spots all over.

In the loop:

Hannah's Bretzel - 3 location for great sandwiches on pretzel (bretzel) buns

Pastoral - similar to Hannah's, but think more French and less pretzel

Oasis cafe - yes, insanely good falafel and shwarma in the back of a jewelry shop

Epic Burger - griddled burgers and handcut fries in the loop

Cafecito - close by Epic, great sandwiches!

Manny's Deli - never been, but heard it's good for pastrami sandwiches

South:

Nuevo Leon for mexican food. THE best tortillas I've ever had

Don't really know. Have heard good things from the places in Hyde Park and Calumet Fishery

West Loop:

All the really expensive, high-end places

North:

Hit up Intelligentsia on Broadway for coffee

Hit up Asado on Irving Park for coffee

Nhu Lan for banh mi

Mixteco for mexican

Piece, Big Star, Rodan, Mana, Handlebar, Maproom in Bucktown / Wicker Park

Revolution Brewing and Half Acre for beer

ñ bar on Wednesday nights for DJ+live drummer

Further North

Thai and Indian

the brown line will take you to some of the country's best Thai spots

Aroy off the Damen stop

Spoon and Sticky Rice off Western

go up to Devon Ave. for Indian

I actually just had Wolfy's on Sunday & it was good

San Soo Gab San is supposed to be the shit when it comes to Korean BBQ

In Fine Spirits for great cocktails

Argyle for Vietnamese and Pho

Tank Noodle and Ba Le are across the street from each other. both pretty good but I'm american so I don't really know what real pho is

Comprehensive, and good. Nuevo Leon does have the best tortillas.

Manny's (a bit expensive, but great), Intelligentsia coffee, Map room, Argyle are all favorites of mine.

As far as Hyde Park is concerned, there are a number of good places on 53rd -- Jamaican, BBQ (Ribs n' Bibs), pizza, sushi, etc.

Oysy has really fine sushi as well. Busy Burger has a damned good burger stand-style burger, served with some of the best fries and onion rings in the city. I mention it in case you end up in the Little Italy neighborhood on the near south side. There are some great places in that area to eat, including Francesca's and Chez Joel. Just a few blocks south, in the Pilsen neighborhood, you can grab surprisingly good burgers and other things at a well-known dive called The Skylark.

I would take Al's or Johnnie's italian beef over Mr Beef. I know Mr Beef grabs the hype - they have all the pictures of Jay Leno's big stupid chined face all over the place showing he likes it -but their giardiniera is fucking terrible; it's all celery. The beef does have good flavor though, but I think all around either Al's or Jonnie's is a better sandwich.

Kuma's is a great burger and despite it's presence on a million lists - just saw it ranked number 9 on a best burgers list of the US - they haven't changed their style. Meaning - the hostess are still rude, and you'll likely have to wait, unless you show up after 10:30 on a weekend, then it's slower. But they have a good beer list, and whiskey on tap, so you'll be just fine. If you get Becky as your waitress/bartender, you're a lucky guy, just put yourself in her hands, and she'll take care of you.

Big up to Wolfy's; been going there since I was about 5 or so; my Grandma would take me.

If you want to do authentic Chicago pizza - and I mean what locals tend to eat - go somewhere you can get thin crust, cut in squares (party cut). Pat's pizza, John's, Father and Sons, D'agostino's (when Dennis Farina was a Chicago cop it was his favorite pizza, so my friends and I call it Farina's), Go try that.

Concerning square pizzas, I personally love Pizza Metro. Partly because I live 3 blocks away (on Division in UK Village side).

Some people like it a lot (me), others think it's just ok. but you can get it by the slice for like $2.50.

I would take Al's or Johnnie's italian beef over Mr Beef. I know Mr Beef grabs the hype - they have all the pictures of Jay Leno's big stupid chined face all over the place showing he likes it -but their giardiniera is fucking terrible; it's all celery. The beef does have good flavor though, but I think all around either Al's or Jonnie's is a better sandwich.

I'd agree -- I actually prefer Al's as well. Most folks I've spoken to outside my friends have expressed a partiality for Mr. Beef. Their stuff is really good, but I'll take Al's any day.

Kuma's is a great burger and despite it's presence on a million lists - just saw it ranked number 9 on a best burgers list of the US - they haven't changed their style. Meaning - the hostess are still rude, and you'll likely have to wait, unless you show up after 10:30 on a weekend, then it's slower. But they have a good beer list, and whiskey on tap, so you'll be just fine. If you get Becky as your waitress/bartender, you're a lucky guy, just put yourself in her hands, and she'll take care of you.

Kuma's is one example of a place that is actually better than the hype would have you believe. Yes, you will wait if you go later in the day or on the weekend, but it's worth it. I usually go with only one other person because it's much easier to get seated that way.

Big up to Wolfy's; been going there since I was about 5 or so; my Grandma would take me.

Yes!

If you want to do authentic Chicago pizza - and I mean what locals tend to eat - go somewhere you can get thin crust, cut in squares (party cut). Pat's pizza, John's, Father and Sons, D'agostino's (when Dennis Farina was a Chicago cop it was his favorite pizza, so my friends and I call it Farina's), Go try that.

Oh man, I completely forgot about Pat's -- great pizza. D'agostino's is my go-to, but I've had a lot of people tell me that they didn't enjoy it. I can't imagine why. I've never had Father and Son's, but I should and will very soon.

Oh, if you're looking for something for dessert, check out Black Dog Gelato in UK Village. It has both tradition and random (whiskey, Mexican hot choco) flavors.

Yeah, if you can't tell, I only know like 3 neighborhoods. I should expand.

Oh and try 90 Miles for Cuban food in Humboldt Pk.

To expand on Chinatown:

Lao Szechuan isn't my favorite...Not that it's bad, but I think the Canto places are where it's at. Go 4 Food is perfect for family dinners (in old Chinatown), Ming Hin which opened up late last year is my favorite for Dim Sum (Leaky Sand Buns are UNGODLY...better than in HK), and Chi Cafe always hits the spot (order siu yim, siu yao and you'll be set). Chi Cafe also has good happy hour deals and is open 24 hrs on the weekends.

For breakfast foods, M.Henry (in Andersonville, I'm not sure about your transportation?) is a personal favorite that I always take guests to that always leaves people craving. Yolk, which has a few locations around the city now is also a good breakfast joint with Midwest-size portions.

If you're around Lawrence, check out Lawrence Fish Market for IMO the best sushi in the city...It's a Korean fish market/hole in the wall place but they have some of the lowest priced sushi you'll find and a really high quality. There are also some really good taco places around there too but the name of my favorite escapes me at the moment.

There's also a Gyu-Kaku chain downtown which has ridiculous happy hour deals if you're down for cheap, good food. Not a restaurant unique to Chicago by any means though...

All of the top of my head for now....I'll be back for more.

Oh, if you're looking for something for dessert, check out Black Dog Gelato in UK Village. It has both tradition and random (whiskey, Mexican hot choco) flavors.

Yeah, if you can't tell, I only know like 3 neighborhoods. I should expand.

Oh and try 90 Miles for Cuban food in Humboldt Pk.

Definitely agree on the 90 Mile front. Good, friendly, cheap, and I can walk there from my house. Perfect.

Definitely agree on the 90 Mile front. Good, friendly, cheap, and I can walk there from my house. Perfect.

Such a good place. Stumbled upon it after a trip to Apt. 9.

Food was tasty and fairly priced. BYOB is always a thumbs up.

I like Sweet Maple on Taylor.

Need to try this, I pass by all the time/ am moving pretty much down the block (Near Loomis/ Harrison)

I'd definitely be down for a meetup come mid-June, stuck in the burbs until than.

Joey's Brick House in Lakeview doesn't do a bad brunch. i've only been to it once, but they bring food to you right as they cook it.

It's your standard loudass drunk breakfast spot from what I understand, though.