Tell me something Good

goat

USyd

W9616TW.png

Given the job prospects of a specialization in political economy:

Deux the barista 

I graduated as a Political Economy major last year from a top university, and the job prospects in the field are definitely thin. You really need to be incredibly impressive (lots of international experience, speak multiple languages, strong academic research and internships) and be prepared to be in school (grad and PhD programs) for a very long time.

I would definitely make sure you take advantage of courses in University to make you more marketable to an employer after school (Comp Sci, finance, etc.). I spent some time in government after I graduated, but it wasn't exactly empowering, the pay wasn't great, and I didn't think I could justify the cost of doing a grad program. So I was fortunate enough to get a job in finance recently and I'm pretty happy with it.

Anyway, that's my unsolicited advice. I do think its a great major and Congrats!

Edited by -CMM-

getting let go recently from my first job (finance in nyc) out of college has been a deeply unsettling, incredibly humbling, and almost carthartic experience.

i'm currently reassessing my entire career trajectory and actively making moves towards the only other industry in which i thrived. unemployment has lit the fire under my ass.

if anything, it's made me even more grateful to sufu fam who've helped me along the way (a massive thank you to spaghettini, shufon, tombrown, djrajio, fycus, dovo, dabestspoona).

8 demoralizing months later, i finally copped a job.

8 demoralizing months later, i finally copped a job.

dope. 

i vaguely remember talking to djrajio when i was unemployed. he told me to keep grinding because even for a highly educated megaballer like him, it took months to find a job.  i think djrajio was unemployed for 10 months. i was unemployed for 5 months. 

being unemployed is kind of fun for the first month or so. then you'll feel like walking through a dark tunnel with no light at the end. 

it is my understanding that if you have a gap > 12 months, you are considered unemployable.

another interesting aspect of life that many people don't realize that advanced degree holders (those who complete professional school) go unemployed. I know a number of law school grads who can't land a decent job and do some bullshit clerical work i.e. not working as an associate, or do "doc review".  

Edited by herpsky

dope. 

i vaguely remember talking to djrajio when i was unemployed. he told me to keep grinding because even for a highly educated megaballer like him, it took months to find a job.  i think djrajio was unemployed for 10 months. i was unemployed for 5 months. 

being unemployed is kind of fun for the first month or so. then you'll feel like walking through a dark tunnel with no light at the end. 

it is my understanding that if you have a gap > 12 months, you are considered unemployable.

another interesting aspect of life that many people don't realize that advanced degree holders (those who complete professional school) go unemployed. I know a number of law school grads who can't land a decent job and do some bullshit clerical work i.e. not working as an associate, or do "doc review".  

it took me forever to get a job (actually crossed the 12 month mark) after graduating and running out of student visa time. one of your posts was actually really encouraging (enough so that I remember it a year+ later now) so thanks for that. definitely feel that no light at the end of the tunnel thing, but it really gives you perspective on life and the best laid plans etc etc. It was a miserable year but even just a few months later there are aspects where i'm like "oh i kinda miss that" or it wasn't allll bad. So lesson learned, always keep your head up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this morning i bought airline tickets, went grocery shopping, got a haircut, filed my taxes, made my 2015 IRA contribution, and pulled my annual credit reports... all before noon

shit, haven't been this productive in well... ever, probably. my weekend is on cruise control from here on out

Edited by jayrock

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

my renewed passport just arrived in the mail, and the whole process took less than 10 days. not even rushed. pretty impressive tbh

my sister is about to have her first child, thereby making me an uncle for the first time. pretty exciting stuff! gonna be a big kid, already a couple days late

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...