Tell me something Good

goat

Solid point Sammy You. For me, I think the main goal is to have formal design training and hopefully far greater access to internships than in the Northwest. I would love to improve my sketching/drawing capabilities so that I could express what I'd like a line to resemble, and I'd also like to have more knowledge regarding the social history of fashion. However, these are things that I could accomplish outside a formal education through drawing lessons, extensive practice, and my already existing library card provided the library has the type of books I would hope to study.

And its not that the Northwest is desolate by any means. Companies like Arcteryx, Filson, Blackbird, and even Flying Coffin are all companies I would be happy to intern with to get my feet wet as far as the professional world goes.

Another big factor pushing me towards the college route is that I currently live at home and work a part-time job. A great part-time job, but a part time job. If the opportunity arose to work full time and live on my own while developing my artistic skills and a collection, then I would be happy to do that. However, retail is a competitive arena due to the number of people who have chosen to major in fields where jobs are scarce and now need work until an opening appears. A year of part-time work could or could not earn me a full-time position depending on the store. It'd be great to find work full time in Ballard, Bellevue, or Seattle, but that's an opportunity that thus far has not been advertised and I would have to manage to create for myself.

And its not that the Northwest is desolate by any means. Companies like Arcteryx, Filson, Blackbird, and even Flying Coffin are all companies I would be happy to intern with to get my feet wet as far as the professional world goes.

you forgot nike... in beaverton, oregon.

[/size]

you forgot nike... in beaverton, oregon.

This was not unintentional. I would not want to work for Nike. The design of Nike shoes is undeniable, as undeniable as their foundation on the economic exploitation of the existing economic inequalities of our world that, if you subscribe to Jared Diamond's theory, were determined by geographic luck and the development of guns, germs, and steel. It gave the European countries and their subsequent colonies such an enormous advantage over their "compeition" on the world stage that the economic inequalities established persist in some form.

The company that clothes our Olympic athletes on the world stage does so with the support of the American people that purchase a product for themselves and for their children that is intentionally disposable and is crafted by the the historically shafted for nothing close to the wage that would be expected for their children were they to grow up and work in a factory. But those who made that product probably weren't grown up yet. Silly me.

The best thing Nike has done with their ill gotten gains is the creation of the Flyknit machine. Maybe they will finally take violating the rights to dignity that their brothers and sisters in humanity have earned BY BEING THE SAME FUCKING SPECIES out of the equation when it comes to manufacturing their shoes

Had a huge sale today to a doctor and his wife, found a soft shell tech jacket for winter that's on sale since I am shopping off season, tax taxes have been done for a week and my refund is on its way, and the sun was shining for the first time in awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

sxsw was one of the best weeks of my life. got to hang out with my best friend and other good friends. met an awesome new girl through one of my high school friends who ended up spending the week with me. she goes to a different school far away, but we both graduate in may and are moving to nyc (coincidentally, not planned). i'm going to visit her in a month too. she's really into fashion, same designers as me, and designs clothes herself (studying industrial design though). she's already making me something. we also have similar music, art, etc. tastes and ideologies and personalities. by the end of sxsw i had 4 other people staying at my apartment (her and her friend and my friend and his girlfriend) and only one available bedroom. really glad my roommate wasn't around, not that i used his room - that place is uninhabitable.

also got to see and meet rustie who's one of my favorite musicians. almost sold him drugs after his set too. he wanted mdma and coke. i got a hold of mdma (but not coke) and was on my way to meet him, but i could only accept his incoming calls since he was using a uk number. he called me when i was getting close but was having difficult communicating since he was at a show and i was on a bus. he then decides to put someone else he was with on the phone because he said he was better at planning things. this guy had the most thick scottish accent i've heard in my life - completely unintelligible (rustie on the other hand was easily comprehensible). after about a minute of trying to talk and not understanding anything, he hung up. still was pretty cool experience and now i have rustie's phone number. his show was the highlight but i also got to see a lot of other sweet shows (for free!)

oh, and i move out of this apartment and finish school for good (at least undergrad) in less than six weeks. can't wait...they'll be a painful last six weeks though.

Edited by wurm

I knew I had been doing really well with work lately, but the boss just hollered and expanded my territory cause they were really happy with what I've done so far. Opens up a ton of opportunity and growth for me, and in a region I really like being in and exploring anyway. Very stoked.

new pov job with lot of potential air mileage =]

chyeah!

Edited by sarang hae

i've been looking to get a job managing at this restaurant downtown for the summer before i move out of the city, figured it would do huge things for my opportunities elsewhere because i'm looking to stay in food for awhile. i was trying to get an in via a bunch of people i know who are all connected w the place. people kept flaking out on me so i picked up my balls and went out on my own and took that shit.

interview tomorrow morning #gettingmine

Really wanted to travel but didn't want to quit my job because it's so trill. Just got a promotion that puts me in a position to go on buying trips to the places I've wanted to (re)visit in the next year. =)

Really wanted to travel but didn't want to quit my job because it's so trill. Just got a promotion that puts me in a position to go on buying trips to the places I've wanted to (re)visit in the next year. =)

congrats. bring some good shit back to toronto

Been skating again lately, kinda gave it up for the last 10 years and wasn't really all that great back then anyway...but it's coming back super fast, I'm getting better than I ever was, and I'm having way more fun. At 32 it definitely hurts way more when I fall, but damn...having so much fun. Skating with a crew of good friends too. Hyped.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started a 5 day road trip for work with a buddy from Sacramento to Seattle and back. Feels good to be on the road exploring and finding cool shit. He's a really good guy to travel with, always in a good mood, and down to go do/see stuff. Hyped on the next few days.