What Does Your Workout Consist Of?

poopslush

When you say low reps what kind of exercises are you talking about? Also are they weighted or body weight? If you have got something a little more intense than what I'm doing now that won't make my legs grow but will increase my strength I would love to know.

I have been doing in the neighborhood of 200-250 reps of various BW squats per strength training workout and I haven't noticed any growth in the size of my legs.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't recommend ignoring your legs as they play a huge part in core strength/balance. Squats imo are the most important exercise you can do. what I have been doing to try and keep my legs lean but strong is a few different types of squats and lunges (prisoner, jumping, sandbag, single leg) using only my body weight and very high repetitions. I do box jumps as well which help work the quick reflex stabilizer muscles.

well i dont want to ignore them but i feel like they are getting bigger and stronger...in p90x the leg routine consists of alot of squats, lunges, jumps, with weights or without, i use without, and they are high reps...like you'll be doing one type of squats 25 times, then move onto another type for another 25 times, and on and on...the guys and girls from the videos have mean thighs, all huge and bulky and that shit scares me...i have one more week and then i'll be done with the program and after that when i start it back again i'll do more cardio in my routine and more core synergistics...hopefully that will still work my legs, and keep them this size...

SS (3x5 of squats, bench press, deadlift aswell as pushpress and clean n jerk sometimes), i follow each exercise with a plyometric exercise. so after squats i do squat jump bullshit, after bench press i'll do clap pushups.

do that three times a week on alternating days, as well as bagwork and hillsprints. I'm laying off some of the cardio as I wanna bulk up.

@dj flame: Sounds like we have pretty similar regimes and goals. What do you doing for the speed training?

@kcsnaks: The only plyometric exercises I do are jump squats, clap pushups, and box jumps. what else do you do because I am looking for ideas? I'm thinking of starting to implement a clap pull-up type thing where I do an explosive pull-up, straighten my arms over the bar, and catch it on the way down bartendaz style. any experience with that kind of thing?

I haven't done clap pull-ups yet because I use gymnast rings, and sort of don't want to try them as they'd be moving a lot when i propell myself up and i'd probably miss on the way down..

I always like lateral jump jump to the box, then to the other side and back.

Do you have a medicine ball too? I like to do medicine ball slams tabata style as a finisher and various other exercises with it.

what are your goals mang?

@dj flame: Sounds like we have pretty similar regimes and goals. What do you doing for the speed training?

@kcsnaks: The only plyometric exercises I do are jump squats, clap pushups, and box jumps. what else do you do because I am looking for ideas? I'm thinking of starting to implement a clap pull-up type thing where I do an explosive pull-up, straighten my arms over the bar, and catch it on the way down bartendaz style. any experience with that kind of thing?

Interval sprints, wind sprints, as well as lateral drills to improve quickness. The best way to improve speed is to keep sprinting, seriously.

Btw, I'm actually quite slim, 5'11, 165, true 31 waist.

My last 5 days, a ">" means go straight to exercise without rest. Usually 60 - 45 sec rest.

Day 1

Circuit 1

Front Squat > Push Press > Push Up > Renegade Row >Sprint ~50-60 m

x5

Circuit 2

Clean > Barbell Row > Pull Up

x5

Day 2

Front Squat x 6 > Narrow Stance Back Squat x 6 > Wide Stance Back Squat x 6 (5 sets)

Split Leg Barbell Squat x 5 / leg > Good Mornings

Day 3

Chain Bench Press x 5 (5 sets)

Incline DB Press x 6 (5 sets) > Rotator Cuff Work

Machine Flys x 12 (4 sets) > Rotator Cuff Work

Day 4

Chain Trap Bar Deadlift x 5 (5 sets)

High Pull > Barbell Row x 5 (5 sets)

Pull-Ups > Kettlebell Swing

Day 5

Narrow Grip Bench Press x 5 > Super 7s (5 sets)

DB French Press > Seated Curls > Standing Hammer Curls

Rope Tricep Pulldowns > Cable Curls

Mon, Fri:

Basically do everything with as little rest possible between exercises. It takes me 40-45 minutes on Avg.

50 Prisoner Squats

50 Pushups

25 Jump Squats

25 Swiss Ball Leg Curls

50 Swiss Ball Jack Knives

50 Box Jumps

25 Pull Ups

50 Alternating Lunges

50 Close Grip Pushups

25 Deadlifts (135lb)

25 Standing Reverse Fly (20lb Dumbbells)

50 Sandbag Squats

25 Chin Ups

30 Arms Curls Per Arm (30lb)

25 Clap Push Ups

30 Windshield Wipers

Wed;

Superset 1;

Alternating Chest Press - 20 reps (75lb dumbbells)> Swiss Ball Jack Knives - 30 Reps> Pull Ups - 10

Rest 1 minute between supersets and complete a total of 3

Superset 2;

Hang Clean - 10 reps (115lb bar) > Windshield Wipers - 20 reps > DIps - 15 Reps

Rest 1 minute between supersets and complete a total of 3

Superset 3;

Clapping Pushups - 20 reps > Weight Crunches on Decline Bench -20 reps (30lb dumbbell) > Arm Curls - 15 per arm (30lb dumbbells)

Rest 1 minute between supersets complete a total of 3

Finish workout with 25 Chin Ups and 90 Second Plank.

Tues, Thurs, Sun;

45 Min Cardio

i've been doing p90x for almost 3 months now and i'm also concerned about my legs getting huge...i'm afraid that if i keep on doing the leg workouts and plyometrics i won't be able to fit into my skinny jeans...so i also need help with my leg routine...

lol...your not going to get big from p90x.

what im doing----

starting-strength.jpg

---------------- Now playing: Jay-Z - Gangsta Shit

I bike 5+ days a week, doing a mixture of distance and sprints.

I workout five or so days a week switching up my routines pretty often, they consist mostly of: clean and presses, pushups, rows, squats, crunches, bench presses, pullups (I do a lot of pullups and chinups, up to 15 dead hang ATM).

Going to start sprinting and swimming once I start school.

• 3 weeks later...

to work on maximal strength which doesnt include muscle hypertrophy (growth) you would want to do low reps from 3-1 using 85% of your max weight. This trains the CNS to recruit more motor units and trains your nervous system to be more efficint.

Doing more higher frequency triaining will help muscle hyper trophy due to lactic acid build-up which sends signals to you muscle to rebuild.

The higher higher like 20+ rep workouts are basically muscle endurance. This workout however, wont make them appear more tone, ripped jacked etc.

If you want to get more tone there is only one way and that is to lower your body fat %. To lower your body fat you have to eat good, do cardio (high intensity and low) basically you calorie intake must be lower than the calories you burn. and If you wanna "bulk" up its the oppostite you have to recieve more calories than u use up thats why you cant bulk up and get ripped at once.

Anyone who doesnt work out and starts to work out, no matter what method will put on some quick pounds of muscle, Its basically newb gains.

i do a kettle bell exercise in 15 second intervals (15 seconds then 15 seconds rest) for a total of ten minutes. and then i do this dumbbell presses where i do a curl and press upward and increase the presses by one up to 10. in between those sets (i do a total of 3) i do pushups with the dumbbells and while balancing on one arm pull the dumbbell off the ground.

i finish with leg raises (15 raises, then 15 seconds raised) 4 sets consecutively and do this reverse crunch workout the same way.

and i bike whenever i can.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

im a lean dude. hard gainer. so i started this routine i read on marksdailyapple. basically just do major lifts, dead lifts, bench, squats, pullups. all free weights, no machines so you have to stabilize. eat only protein...eggs, meat, nuts, and veges

eat whatever the fuck you want on sundays

5x5 dead lift

5x5 bench

5x5 squats

5xfailure pullups

that bradpitt workout is a joke haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Since I'm in a cramped apartment, I'm limited to dumbbells. I don't have the room for anything more. Still, they're pretty versatile and I usually use several exercises per muscle group. I stopped doing machine exercises when I started my business since I don't have much time to go to the gym anymore.

I also like to swim although I haven't been doing it much lately due to my business growing. I really need to do more cardio and may have to get back into running, which I haven't done much of since high school.

Spudeey, I'd get a regular pull-up bar and put it on the wall.

lol...your not going to get big from p90x.

what im doing----

starting-strength.jpg

---------------- Now playing: Jay-Z - Gangsta Shit

yo.. i dunno what your goals are.. but i wouldnt recommend doing starting strength for a long time..

it definitely helps build up your strength, but it also makes your legs HUGEE.. and your arms stay small.. you'll start to look like a spider or something lol.

just remember, the dude who created this workout doesnt even look like brad pitt.. looks like some high school football coach lol.

use it to get your strength up... but id def. switch routines once you get comfortable lifting heavier..

i made the mistake of staying on SS too long, and now im even further away from my goals..

Since I'm in a cramped apartment, I'm limited to dumbbells. I don't have the room for anything more. Still, they're pretty versatile and I usually use several exercises per muscle group. I stopped doing machine exercises when I started my business since I don't have much time to go to the gym anymore.

I also like to swim although I haven't been doing it much lately due to my business growing. I really need to do more cardio and may have to get back into running, which I haven't done much of since high school.

Spudeey, I'd get a regular pull-up bar and put it on the wall.

get this book:

fit5288_solitary-fitness-13609927.jpg

@ngbetter11

True, most people workout to obtain an adonis-like body, ignoring how functional their muscles/strength really is. But there are some who, regardless of aesthetic appeal, workout merely to become functionally stronger ( for sports, competitions, etc.)

when I could lift I had a nice routine based on westside for skinny bastards going. three days a week and I would have a chest/upper body day (bench and other stuff), back day (deadlift and other stuff) and lower body (squats) + random isolation exercises

now that my wrist is fucked up I just swim (around 1000 yards in 20mins) and surf and do ab ripper X. I actually really like that workout it gets your core pretty well and even though all my other muscles are shrinking I still have abs

yo.. i dunno what your goals are.. but i wouldnt recommend doing starting strength for a long time..

it definitely helps build up your strength, but it also makes your legs HUGEE.. and your arms stay small.. you'll start to look like a spider or something lol.

just remember, the dude who created this workout doesnt even look like brad pitt.. looks like some high school football coach lol.

use it to get your strength up... but id def. switch routines once you get comfortable lifting heavier..

i made the mistake of staying on SS too long, and now im even further away from my goals..

deadLift-380.jpg

Mark Rippetoe in the 80s. Pretty damn good for a high school coach. From an anatomical / kinesthetic pov, you don't get much better than Starting Strength.