Stev Job and Jeans

Jim Cissell

I'm surprised no one has pointed out how Steve Jobs has helped in making blue jeans even more acceptable in business wear. As one of the most successful business men in the world - and a man who only wears jeans, rather than a suit - he certainly has made people take notice in his thumbing-of-the-nose at the traditional corporate uniform!

I guess what I'm saying is I think it's very cool that this icon of business is a jeans-wearin' foo'!!! Good for him, and I love it.

Jim

Jim Cissell

• 1 year later...
I'm surprised no one has pointed out how Steve Jobs has helped in making blue jeans even more acceptable in business wear.

i don't think steve jobs has made jeans more acceptable in business wear. if you are an underling of the business world, as the vast majority of businessmen are, you aren't going anywhere wearing jeans to your cubicle, or to your next meeting, or to your next job interview. steve jobs can wear jeans because he doesn't have anybody to tell him not to.

train tracks appear on anything. those look like regular levi's.

but riveted levi's...hidden rivets.

and if my eye isn't just seeing things, the tracks appear on either side of the seam--if they were a nonselvedge outseam they would appear only on one side?

train tracks appear on anything. those look like regular levi's.

I thought I had read here somewhere that there was a way of identifying selvage by the train tracks, but I may be mistaken. I'm pretty sure the last pair has hidden-rivets, though. Isn't that a sign of vintage Levi's, or at least LVC?

Guest Phrost

I've seen some OE distressed Levis and Uniqlo jeans with really nice traintracks, they're just a lot more prevalent in selvage jeans.

Here's another

06de64a704.jpg

There seems to be hidden rivets on those jeans. They are wearing through on the back pockets. Also, the deep blue color also leads me to believe they are vintage levis. Shallow arcuate, and the train tracks on those could never be caused by an open seem.

And, there is no way steve jobs needs us to buy him some Samurais. If anything he should give me my cash back for selling me a shitty ipod.

but riveted levi's...hidden rivets.

and if my eye isn't just seeing things, the tracks appear on either side of the seam--if they were a nonselvedge outseam they would appear only on one side?

I think the appearance of the rivet-fade might just be cuz the fabric overlaps twice at the corners of the pocket (folded in, and folded down)

Overlocked jeans will sit as an open and develop traintracks (the seam is sewn the same, only the edge of teh fabric is different. In fact cuz of the extra thickness of the extra threads I would imagine in some cases the traintracks would fade more.

(I have some selvage that lay together for part of the leg, and are wearing only on one side as well)

Thats called "having no class". A man of his prestige and wealth shoud be wearing a nice shirt and a suit. Not $103 levis. He looks like he just fixed my toilet. And the same goes for bill. But these guys arent geeks for nothing...

Fashion + Geek= end of world

i think if you become too classy to wear denim, you should just start looking at pulling that pole out from up your arse... :rolleyes:

while they do wear their jeans in a shabby sort of fashion, you're insulting companies like 45rpm by suggesting that jeans are only for blue-collar workers. these are comfort pants and workwear, and they are also timeless.

i would love to have the opportunity to wear nice suits when i start working; at the same time there's no way i can pack my jeans away and say "i've moved on"

I think the appearance of the rivet-fade might just be cuz the fabric overlaps twice at the corners of the pocket (folded in, and folded down)

yeah but even so the pockets have very sharp points of fade at the spots where the rivets should be. if they were modern bartacks the fade would be less pronounced at a single point.

06de64a704.jpg

like rnrswitch said, this sort of traintracking can't possibly be overlocked, you can practically see the edges of the open selvedge on either side of the seam running down the leg...if they were overlocked they would not open up like that.

edit: i think i see what scoon means...you're talking about non-selvedge denim that is overlocked and then sewn with a busted (open) seam? i think most levi's non-selvedge is constructed with both edges sewn together rather than open. in fact most non-selvedge is (crate, for e.g.)

Thats called "having no class". A man of his prestige and wealth shoud be wearing a nice shirt and a suit. Not $103 levis. He looks like he just fixed my toilet. And the same goes for bill. But these guys arent geeks for nothing...

Fashion + Geek= end of world

I absolutely agree that if these guys ever got it in their heads to be stylish... shudder... I'd be putting out milk and cookies for the anti-christ...

But 'a man of his prestige and wealth' can do what he wants... and he chooses not to manufacture his image (OR he has manufactured it more in line with his customers, MAc and iPod buyers... it meshes with their latest commercials too, stodgy PC in a suit...)

Plus I'll give him cred cuz he was in on the ground floor. He's not a stuffed suit CEO who climbed a ladder by ass-kissing and toe-ing the company line. (really think he should reinvent himself as a suited jackass like Trump? THAT man has money and taste and no class)

i think most levi's non-selvedge is constructed with both edges sewn together rather than open. in fact most non-selvedge is (crate, for e.g.)

weird. All my non-selvage is busted. I assumed that all overlocking was done before sewing the jeans together (cuz overlocking the fly would be impossible afterward, and I figured all of it would be done at the same stage)

But for his, I figured they were prewashed (never thought STF)... cuz there's a lot of seam fading going on, but no fading on the actual seat of the pants

06de64a704.jpg

This sort of traintracking only occurs after a few washes. And conventional levis look like crap after a couple of washes. I also don't think these jeans in this picture are Levis premium. I think they are either vintage or repros. but who cares anyways. the guys a pretentious prick.