Levi's Imprint

Enray

Waiting for me today in my Inbox was an e-mail from e-Levi's (the Japanese Levi's e-store), telling me about this new line they had, called IMPRINT. Now, I'm used to seeing names like Fenom, RED, Red Tab in these e-mails, and with no offense intended to anyone, I didn't really care about those. (I had just gotten a new pair of Samurais, I wouldn't need jeans for a while) However, IMPRINT wasn't a line that I was familiar with. So I clicked on the e-mail.

When I clicked on the link to the website, I was led to http://www.e-levi.jp/shop/mens/item/list/category_id/214, which as you can probably tell, as it is in English, lists a couple of different cuts of Levi's. (If they look expensive, they're not, Levi's cost around that much in Japan) I thought these looked the exact same as the jeans on the rest of the site, so I decided to click on one of them and figure out what makes them IMPRINT.

I clicked on the 606s, (my favorite cut), and I read the description that was given. Translated, it says something like:

Jeans that you can control the fading and breaking in on, that's Levi's IMPRINT. (At this point, I'm thinking, no way, I bet they look terrible.) From wearing them when they're rigid until the first wash as long as possible, you yourself is imprinted into these jeans. If you wash them in hot water, they get customized at an increased pace, and once they get to how you want them, you can wash them in cold water to slow down the fading. Both the joy of displaying your character and the exact fit of your jeans is burned onto these jeans, making them absolutely one of a kind. The silhouette is modern plus vintage cut. The slim 606.

Okay, so jeans that fade fast. That's been done before. Brands like Nudie and APC are known for fast-fading. However, the e-mail I got was sent to anyone who signs up for the newsletter, not dry denim aficianados like myself. Could this be dry denim becoming more mainstream? Are my days of people telling me my jeans are gross coming to an end?

And since I'm probably taking this too seriously, what do you think of this line?

Pics of said denim aging are on this site: http://e-levi.brandhosting.jp/ext/imprint/ (Just keep pressing next, the first one is at 30 days one wash, second is 120 and 2 washes.)

Also, if anyone who gets one of these pairs could post here about how they are, that would be great.

tl;dr-Levi's makes super fast fading jeans, click links to see them.

when you press next all the way to the end some weird scrubber/pumice stone looking thing pops up with the word "PRESENT!" but I can't read japanese.

I hope that's for washing and not for sanding down your jeans - that would be weak as fuck.

levis is so fucking lame, why the fuck would i want a pair that looks like a year+ worth of fading in like 4 months? if i had these hoes they would be white in 4 months! the dye job in these is garbage, imho. this is truly an insult, esp. since they are selling this garbage in nippon! somebody should be slapped...

levis is so fucking lame, why the fuck would i want a pair that looks like a year+ worth of fading in like 4 months? if i had these hoes they would be white in 4 months! the dye job in these is garbage, imho. this is truly an insult, esp. since they are selling this garbage in nippon! somebody should be slapped...

Levi's doesn't really care anything about the denim nerd niche. we should be happy that they still make the LVC stuff. They are only trying to keep up with the times and make a profit, just like every other apparel corporation. Also this is a Levi's japan product, which if i remember correctly, is basically run as a separate entity from Levi's US. So you cannot blame all of Levi's for this.

You can only expect so much from a huge company. Most people I know think that 50 dollars is too much for a pair of jeans and are definitely not gonna drop $175-300 on a pair of super nice jeans.

and nobody from levi's said you should buy them.

at least Levi's is recognizing the fact that fading your own personal pair is interesting and can be marketable. It will probably make a lot of people jump ship from the prewash craze.

(mini-rant from old bastard)

Definately not for me looking at the pics. Modern jeans for lazy boys, who want instant distressing(.. just add hot water).

Mind you, Levi's red, signature, red tab, blue star, jeans with roots..etc - It's all BLAH..(Following in the footsteps of Coca Cola!?)

At the end of the day, they're all variations that stem from the same jean levis started making 125 years ago.

And Lvc cant even get all of those right!

Oh really? Don't want to make it a LVC thread but why'd you say the 55?

For me, back before the denim 'gold rush' days of the late 80's/early 90's when prices rocketed, the standard jean that you find fairly easily at any retro clothing store would be a 1950's cut levi 501XX.

Double exe (..and that's what they called 'em back then). You could pick up a pair for 20 quid in good nick. Most people then didnt know what a buckleback was.

Therefore repro-wise, IMHO the 55 is the regular coke of Lvc :)

Levi's doesn't really care anything about the denim nerd niche. we should be happy that they still make the LVC stuff. They are only trying to keep up with the times and make a profit, just like every other apparel corporation. Also this is a Levi's japan product, which if i remember correctly, is basically run as a separate entity from Levi's US. So you cannot blame all of Levi's for this.

You can only expect so much from a huge company. Most people I know think that 50 dollars is too much for a pair of jeans and are definitely not gonna drop $175-300 on a pair of super nice jeans.

and nobody from levi's said you should buy them.

at least Levi's is recognizing the fact that fading your own personal pair is interesting and can be marketable. It will probably make a lot of people jump ship from the prewash craze.

Yes Levi's Japan and Levi's US is different but Levi's has introduced the Imprint line its in bigger stores like New York and California but only in the 514 model

• 3 weeks later...

The lead designer (part of Levis.jp) from Levi's Imprint made a youtube video about the new line. From the looks of what he's wearing (selvage levi's) he's just as passionate about jeans as most people on this forum. If anyone could translate this, it'd be great.

7ef3xD35vzk

WZ2KxxQsHQ4

Personally I like the fact that the designer for the Imprint series is a true denimhead. True, he might work for a corporation, but the company is taking steps to reach out to our community.

edit: thanks for the php code brohymn

I've seen these jeans in person, they're quite interesting. They come pre-shrunk and are about as hard as the rigid 514's. The jeans look like they've been pressed and are totally flat.

In terms of the denim, there is very subtle variation in dying; you can tell there will be vertical streaking when these are broken in and well worn. The jeans appear to have a shiny coat not unsimilar to the finish on dry black coated jeans. I'll try to snap some pictures next time I'm in the city this week

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you're enjoying them...I actually got to check them out at the Chicago Levi's store (where they were in the Women's section...) but the denim just wasn't my thing...but to each his own! Keep us posted!

The women's Imprints are called the "Boyfriend" and mimics the 501, while the men's 514 imprints are on the left side of the store by the other 514s.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...