Things You Don't Get

jeepster

it's an interesting thing to think about. movies aren't about being good anymore they are more a vehicle for social interaction. like currency it is used for social transactions, something that can be universally accepted and discussed.

Just like the mall, no one goes in there buy shit anymore. Last time I was in the mall I saw some bitches dancing in front of Sephora to get people coming in. The kids go to the mall as a proxy for social interaction.

That's why I both reject and embrace the mainstream. Most mainstream approved social currency sucks cock, but it does help when meeting new people and corny white chicks. Like I fucking hate garden state but I wouldnt hesitate dropping it if it meant the difference between getting laid/ not getting laid.

This.

The appeal of summer "blockbuster" movies that suck except for special effects. There was once a time when even the most actioney movies actually were decent films. See: Predator (the first one), Alien 1 and 2, the first two terminator films, etc.

There is no excuse to my mind for paying (or not paying for that matter) to see some Michael Bay abortion which is a steaming turd pile of a movie just because "it's summer" and "i wanna see some robots"

I heard someone wants to remake Commando, why!>!>!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Guest bambam
it's a socialiable activity because it kills time. if you think about it the average teenager is very limited on what he or she can do. shopping, dinner, movies, party's, bowling?

they live very limited and dull lives so a movie with friends is social because it kills 2hrs of there boredom together and gives them something to talk about.

wtf you make teenagers sound like old people waiting to die

Guest bambam
i honestly don't understand twitter

twitter seems like 'if facebook status was its own website.' am i missing something? is there more to it than that? i don't get it either

facebook tried to buy twitter a couple months back and basically kept the concept and delivery of twitter as part of it's format

or so I've been told.

yeah they made it much more short-public-message-centric but at least they didn't throw out the rest of their features that make facebook what it is. even though they're emphasizing the twitter junk, they still have the stuff that matters such as groups and photo albums.

I just wanted to do this.

See this is weird but because there was this huge discussion on NPR about how the lives of bad movies get shorter and shorter because ppl will twitter and text their friends right when they leave the theater if something is bad. Like box office for Bruno and Land of Lost fell 40% from opening friday night to saturday night, which was unheard of 5 years ago. If you put Eddie Murphy or whoever in even a shit movie, it can coast for probably 2 weeks before box office dies, and now that time period is like 48 hours.

Transformers 2 goes hard in the face of that though. Maybe this just proves that Michael Bay is a genius at making money and he will have more juice in Hollywood than ever after this shit.

how blockbuster video is still in business.

not for long though, in this environment, there's no turning back once you get a going concern note in your financials

i was speaking about this with a coworker the other day and i actually don't understand who actually rent movies at video stores these days. 98% of video stores only carries the newest Hollywood blockbuster which you can rent without having to get up from the couch for the same price or cheaper....

But to be honest, there's just too many things i don't get, i've decided that i was not worth it worrying about it anymore