Things You Don't Get

jeepster

Here is where we discuss things about life, the universe, and everything that we simply don't understand.

I'll start:

I don't understand the appeal of Wavves. They're boring.

feel free to discuss or just post things you don't get.

I don't get how people think god exists. I myself believe that given the supernatural nature of god, there is no way to prove the existence of a god. The most we can do is speculate whether god exists or not.

I don't get the appeal of fixed-gear bikes, or the accompanying culture.

who wants a bike that can't stop?

This.

The appeal of summer "blockbuster" movies that suck except for special effects. There was once a time when even the most actioney movies actually were decent films. See: Predator (the first one), Alien 1 and 2, the first two terminator films, etc.

There is no excuse to my mind for paying (or not paying for that matter) to see some Michael Bay abortion which is a steaming turd pile of a movie just because "it's summer" and "i wanna see some robots"

there's really nothing original anymore, everything these days is derived from something and repackaged but it's how it's done that makes the difference.

do you think bay was that cocky that he thought anything he produced outta his ass would be alright with the average American or was he going through a couple of shitty months and didn't care give a fuck to the point that he would allow himself to be associated with garbage like that

or has he gone senile.

I think most (not all) Americans these days forget about the artistic aspect and that is why we have been producing shitty movies

I think most (not all) Americans these days forget about the artistic aspect and that is why we have been producing shitty movies

But that's what I don't understand. If people stopped seeing these movies and asked more of the writers and directors then we would get higher quality. But it seems that there's this population of people (who for some reason all seem to be 25 or younger) who are willing to watch so-called "entertaining" movies that have little to no substance.

A film can be super entertaining and action packed and all that and not suck on every other metric.

There is no excuse to my mind for paying (or not paying for that matter) to see some Michael Bay abortion which is a steaming turd pile of a movie just because "it's summer" and "i wanna see some robots"

See this is weird but because there was this huge discussion on NPR about how the lives of bad movies get shorter and shorter because ppl will twitter and text their friends right when they leave the theater if something is bad. Like box office for Bruno and Land of Lost fell 40% from opening friday night to saturday night, which was unheard of 5 years ago. If you put Eddie Murphy or whoever in even a shit movie, it can coast for probably 2 weeks before box office dies, and now that time period is like 48 hours.

Transformers 2 goes hard in the face of that though. Maybe this just proves that Michael Bay is a genius at making money and he will have more juice in Hollywood than ever after this shit.

it's a socialiable activity because it kills time. if you think about it the average teenager is very limited on what he or she can do. shopping, dinner, movies, party's, bowling?

they live very limited and dull lives so a movie with friends is social because it kills 2hrs of there boredom together and gives them something to talk about.