Antwerp

healthyboy

I did a search and I realize there are several threads on Antwerp, but they mostly relate to shopping, which is helpful, but I was wondering if anybody can point me towards bars/food/maybe parties that go on? I'm leaning more towards what's cheap first as the shopping related threads are going to drain my credit card.

Thanks

Yeah those are okay if they're cheap, but I'm guessing they're big Euro clubs? Browsing through pictures I can tell that it's definitely not my scene. I'm looking more for either the European equivalent of a dive, or party wise something smaller than a club.

On the cheap:

coffee: Cafe Nation, , Witzlie-Poetzl

Lunch: Via Via, Kapitein Zeppos, Zurich, Entrepot du Congo

Clubs/bars: King Kong (hipsterzzz), The Joker (comedy club on Sunday, divy Metal/rock bar rest of the week), De Pallieter, Nieuwe Linde, kassa 4 (Hipster/artist dive/speakeasy, Cafe Beveren (very... folky, i.e. trashy), Bar Tabac (coke connection), Dansing Chocola (little more trendy), Cafe au Lait (cocktails), De Kat (interesting old timers' hangout), De Snor (home of the Antwerp Mustache club), Kulminator (biggest beer selection)

Some of my old hangouts...

I'd suggest staying away from the train station neighbourhood and avoiding the bars around the colleges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't live there anymore, so I'm a little rusty, but last time I was there I went to a new Chinese place, Lam & Yin, and was very impressed. Not at all the typical greasy chinese take-out quality, but fine, balanced and ver very tasty. That would be my top pick right now.

If you're looking for a more typical setting for mussels and fries or stuff like that, try De Maritime or Het Nieuw Palinghuis, they're both a little folky but great great food. Docks Cafe is a staple, De Rimbaux and Het Pomphuis are good. Radis Noir is very pricey but an old friend of mine is the chef/owner and he's shooting for a Michelin star, so I have to recommend... La Terrazza is a ways out of town but one of the best Italian places if you order the right dishes.

Any place I listed under "lunch in my previous post serve dinners as well, but they're cheaper.

To be honest, I was never rich while living there (nor an I now, for that matter) so I don't have much experience with the "less cheap" dining establishments...

• 2 years later...

In the general Amsterdam topic a question came up about Antwerp:

Antwerp this weekend. Suggestions for eat/drink?

Because I'm a huge fan of easy to find information I'll post my answer in this topic.

Hotels:

The best main-stream hotel, by far, is the Hilton Hotel. Excellent location and everything else you may expect from a Hilton hotel (although i'm not a huge fan of them myself).

A lot of very good smaller hotels are located in Antwerp. Especially look at "De Witte Lelie" and "Hotel Julien".

Personally I favor B&Bs. There are a lot of these in Antwerp and some are exceptional. Take a look at "Charles Rogier XI" and "Boulevard Leopold". I stayed at both of these and the rooms are very special as well as the staff. Exceptional stay here at these B&Bs. "Suites @ Feek" alsmo must be very good.

If you want an apartment I advice "Sleep In The City".

Dining

"Het Gebaar" is a restaurant which only opens for lunch and has a Michelin star, dining is fabulous and the chef is especially known for his desserts.

"Le Dome" is a good Michelin restaurant for dining.

I enjoyed a lunch at "Flamant Dining", which is a restaurant within the store of Flamant (interior design), pretty crowded and good quality food and drinks. If you want more mainstream let me name "Horta".

My personal favourite in Antwerp is "Hofstraat 24". Atmosphere, food, drinks, staff, everything is great: try it!

Drinks

The must-see is "Cocktails at Nine". This is a fucking amazing cocktail bar, with excellent cocktails!

There are a lot of places where you can get fun drinks but the ones I remember:

Absinth bar @ Brasserie Appelmans

SIPS Cocktails & Mocktails

Velvet Lounge / Stereo Sushi

Martinibar (next to the best store in town: verso)

Chocolate and Macarons

Pierre Marcolini - Chocolate master, hip, design

Gunther Watte - Nice for a cup of hot chocolate (!), or tea/coffee of course and lots of bonbons

Del Rey - Macarons

So far so good, I'll come back in shopping and partying later. If anyone wants some advice contact me by PM.

Edited by Mr.Barry

• 2 years later...