kung fu movies saved my life?

jyoni

Well, there seems to be a renaissance lately, thanks hugely to Celestial Pictures. I'm out of the loop. Last shit I was into was the video-captured fare of dubious provenance, often mistitled with Wu Tang song lyrics.

Some of my favorites (the Celestial remasters are so fucking good, a real treat to watch) --

***edited for shitty hotlinks

heroes_of_the_east_box_web.jpg

51Nv04v40gL.jpg

51lH6ktmA-L.jpg

51T79DSJ99L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...and 36th Chamber of course.

So what are you watching? Old, new, whatever. I'm liking all the unearthed Chang Cheh releases I've never seen before. The fighting can be pure shite, but his films are always filled with stylish, over-the-top violence.

Edited by jyoni

Yeah, it's the Ip Man movie.

I've been out of the loop for awhile as far as kung-fu flicks go, but i had to check it out being a former ving tsun practitioner myself. Really good fight scenes and he really gave the art some life. From the things i've read about Ip Man, he seemed to be a very interesting person irl and i feel like this movie really did him justice. They announced the sequel right after this was released and i'm very interested to see how they treat the whole Bruce Lee thing,

Yeah, it's the Ip Man movie.

I've been out of the loop for awhile as far as kung-fu flicks go, but i had to check it out being a former ving tsun practitioner myself. Really good fight scenes and he really gave the art some life. From the things i've read about Ip Man, he seemed to be a very interesting person irl and i feel like this movie really did him justice. They announced the sequel right after this was released and i'm very interested to see how they treat the whole Bruce Lee thing,

Sounds like a good film. I'm gonna have to watch it! The only really excellent ones I've seen with that style are Prodigal Son and Warriors Two. I had high hopes when I picked up that "historical" film with Michelle Yeoh...Jesus what a bomb that was. It could have been such an awesome concept.

Yeah, that movie was garbage. This is isn't much better, but has some hilarious moments in it:

60164344454.jpg

The action in Ip Man puts Prodigal Son & Warriors Two to shame in it's "realness". Although the Leung Yee Tai & Wong Wah Bo dymanic was hilarious and awesome in Prodigal Son.

Yeah, he's pretty damn good. I haven't seen the whole thing, but i think this is an amazing fight scene:

oSv9EHXPd1c

Really refreshing to see some bjj/mma stuff in the mix. Also, it's not a "classic" or anything, but the fight scene between Jet Li & the bald guy in all white from Unleashed (bathroom fight scene) is just amazing. Super fast paced, close quarters fighting at it's best. Pretty awesome to see both Yen & Li still doing great scenes at their (relatively) advanced ages.

biUes_eVLGA

Hasn't been said yet, but Li's Fist Of Legend is also really great.

Oh damn, got some vids in here....

I found my favorite fight scene from Heroes of the East, plus some of those priceless sequences between the dude and his wife.

aORWhjNHNpg

B57FFtLj51M

JAHz4S5R1lM

AHwp75EO3SE

Guest jmatsu

^so is this thread about any sorta asian martial arts now?

thought it was exclusively about kung fu...

kung fu from the chinaland.

karate is jap.

MOTFG is some truly amazing shit, all of the Yu Wang movies have the most ludicrous action scenes.

I may be mistaken, but the evil monk's "theme" in MOTFG is a neu! song and they sampled it in the score for Kill Bill.

Sammo is the most amazing fat man ever!

Guest jmatsu
I really liked MOTFG. Very unusual music for a kung fu film.

they illegally used a bunch of kraut/prog shit. and depending on the older releases/presentations never credited it to the original european artists. i guess they are now, with all the new licenses of the film.

neu! kraftwerk, and tangerine dream.

they illegally used a bunch of kraut/prog shit. and depending on the older releases/presentations never credited it to the original european artists. i guess they are now, with all the new licenses of the film.

neu! kraftwerk, and tangerine dream.

lul, probably didn't even give a fuck til it started getting hot again. Oh well, they should get a piece of it, now that this stuff is getting proper treatment.

^^ Crippled Masters was a curious film. Weren't there a handful in that, er, "genre"?

Just watched this; so much that's good. Skin tablets, "marriage by duel," Fu Sheng's '80s Bruce Dickinson steeze...

51UXaOiu8HL._SS500_.jpg

shaw shit is obv godbody

but i love joseph kuo's stuff

I loved the first 2/3 of 18 Bronzemen. The only others of his I've seen are Chess Boxing and World of Drunken Master. (<-- I think that was it...is that the one with the girl student fucking around with Wing Chun hoops?)

^so is this thread about any sorta asian martial arts now?

thought it was exclusively about kung fu...

kung fu from the chinaland.

karate is jap.

ppl were talking about mmy stuff and whatnot so i figured it was about any kind of martial art