kung fu movies saved my life?

jyoni

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Whoa guys, i just heard about another company that did restos, "joysales" legendary collection. late pass and some of it is hard to find now. looks like they picked up some of the non-shaw stuff. there's alot of golden harvest in their work.

i hear the prints aren't as crisp as celestial pictures' but i think celestial is a labor of love, more like a hobby haha. i believe it's owned by a dorky malaysian billionaire who's willing to bleed huge dough into it.

i haven't seen these yet but it's possible they aren't actually restored at all, just clean, dope, proper-ass presentations. scooped up some Angela Mao titles: tournament, when taekwondo strikes, and broken oath (!)

l_p1022509231.jpg

l_p1005131108.jpg

l_p1004306597.jpg

Edited by jyoni

• 2 weeks later...

One of the Joy Sales/Fortune Star dvd's arrived and it's really nice. If it's restored, it's a light job, not the total overhaul you'd expect from Celestial Pictures. The good thing here is that Fortune Star has some deep-ass films.

I was hoping to find Hsia Kwan-Li's handful of movies in the catalog, but no. Woman Avenger and Leg Fighters are great films, but still relegated to the grainy dub shitheap i guess.

Nice resurrected thread. Most of my Kung-Fu is Wu-Tang Collection VHS tapes that I was special ordering when I worked at Hastings like 10 years ago. Even then most of what I found in the computer system was unavailable. These are some of my favs that haven't been mentioned already.

ZuWarriors.jpg

514MF211DGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

14042.jpg

That last one is probably the most ridiculous kung-fu movie I've seen, as far as really bad effects go. The guy on the front of the box isn't even in the movie.

I also like people like Gordon Liu, Adam Chang & Sam Seed (goes without saying).

the wu-tang tapes are awful, haha. ns video was horrible too. tai seng was nicer quality but the films were mostly shite. but it's all there was at the time! i still have all mine and plan to keep them. similar deal: i had a friend who worked at suncoast who hooked me up with discounts and gave me the throw-aways when all the movie rights were changing hands.

this is a film that should be mentioned. enonsense, you might already be aware of this. on its own, without the commentary, it's probably the biggest piece of shit ever. but it you turn the commentary on, man, it transcends into one of the most brilliant kung-fu movie experiences you could hope for. the commentator is just so laid-back, funny, and knowledgeable. there are a couple times he caps on the movie that just made me laugh.

of course this only applies to the tai seng dvd version. don't cop vhs or another company's dvd, then wonder what my deal is.

l_p1004100951.jpg

I can appreciate good kung-fu as well. Like I said, a number of my favs. have already been mentioned in the thread. The bad dubbing, crappy effects and bad quality was what was entertaining to me. Like MST3K without the commentary. Like in the last one I mentioned, for one fight scene they wanted to add in a slow motion thing, but didn't have the ability to do the effect, so they just told the actors to just try to move in slow motion. Ridiculous. That movie is pure comedy. I recommend it for that reason alone.

Edited by eNonsense

That's the magic of em. I love when the english dubs are damn near cockney. Another amusing slo-mo effect is when the voiceover guys slow down their kung-fu groans, but you can totally tell they're just groaning slow.

It was a good era and I treasure all my old copies. I liked the whole weeding through the heap, because they were all presented the same way whether they were good or bad.

• 9 months later...

Widescreen print of Bandits, Prostitutes, and Silver. It's an old sleeper from Crash Cinema that I didn't know about. I think the Wu-Tang pan and scan of this was titled Hoes, Thugs, and Scrilla.

It's dubbed but I would say it's the best one out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Shaolin-Angela-Mao/dp/B0000B1OEC/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1350620880&sr=1-1&keywords=battle+of+shaolin