Monocle's Top 25 Most Liveable Cities

Bendrix

Bendrix negged this post with the following comment:

"hipster bike?"

What kind of cunt would bother commenting on my post if they don't know enough about me to know I'd never ride that shit. Next he'll say i'M just a skateboarder!!

cunt this cretin that, when will you move on to the d's? maybe throw in a few dickheads this and dipshits that ...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread could have been an interesting discussion if the OP would have approached it in a different way...

Also, I kind of take back my hate on Auckland. Been reading more about it, and everyone I know who has been says its really nice and definitely livable...I only visited once when I was younger with boring family so I kind of have a biased view. I still don't think its on the same scale as most of the other places on the list, but it does fit Monocle's criteria.

I'll have to firmly stand by my original post. Is this list a celebration of what is pleasant and mediocre? I left Seattle long ago for those reasons.

cunt this cretin that, when will you move on to the d's? maybe throw in a few dickheads this and dipshits that ...

Nah, cunt suits you just fine you cretin. I don't use "dickhead" and "dipshit". My english swearing is severely limited I'm afraid, you cumslurping maggot.

You guys actually take Monocle seriously?

I don't know, I for one think Monocle is a good read. Some of their podcasts are nice, although the summer series they're doing is a bit contrived and not very informative.

I'm pissed at the reactions you get around here for disagreeing with the list in the magazine. It's just a current list of cities that are cool to talk about. That a city can completely disappear from or suddenly appear on a list like this from one year to the next is pretty suspect. Three Asian cities - all in Japan - three Australian cities, Honolulu and Vancouver are the only cities not in Europe on a list of 25. I wonder do these people even live in any of these cities or do they all reside in Berlin, London and Tokyo?

I'm pissed at the reactions you get around here for disagreeing with the list in the magazine. It's just a current list of cities that are cool to talk about. That a city can completely disappear from or suddenly appear on a list like this from one year to the next is pretty suspect. Three Asian cities - all in Japan - three Australian cities, Honolulu and Vancouver are the only cities not in Europe on a list of 25. I wonder do these people even live in any of these cities or do they all reside in Berlin, London and Tokyo?

Its ok to disagree with the list, after all its just a fucking pretentious magazine.

Its just about how you do it.

Cities falling in and out of the rankings isn't suspect, its mostly marketing. how interesting would it be for this list to be the same every year?

And, who's to say a city can't improve, or fall off anyway?

So, what cities would you include, and why?

No offense, but you evoke these reactions because you come across like a frustrated old man. I suggest you try convincing the rest of us what cities you think should be on this list. Surely this will turn into a fruitful discussion if you bring some valid arguments to the table.

About Helsinki: "it provides excellent schools, and no branches of Starbucks". Lol at that. And how Euro-arrogant must that sound to Americans.

I'm off to Zurich for a holiday in a few days, so I guess I picked the right destination.

Wait this is about living in a city.

I don't know what cities should be on this list. But I do recognized its Eurocentrism. One US city. What about South America, the rest of Asia, etc.? It's not representative. It's like US office or university demographics pre-Civil Rights and affirmative action.

Bendrix, on the reals, if I could offer you some real world advice. If I were a doctor I'd recommend 3 doses of punani and marijuana a week. If you're already getting this dosage, and still this uptight about stupid shit, I recommend you double to dosage. Good luck.

You guys are vultures. This is the way I discuss and you guys nitpick that. I'm not the typical sufu poster whose posts are imbued with lighthearted hip-hop humor but that's just the way I am. Doesn't mean I'm uptight.

I'll have to say, for people saying lighten up, you guys are passive-aggressive with your hostility and patronizing.

I do recognized its Eurocentrism. One US city. What about South America, the rest of Asia, etc.? It's not representative. It's like US office or university demographics pre-Civil Rights and affirmative action.

I actually agree that the list is a little Euro-centric.

And like semper pointed out, the tone of the magazine can be patronizing and obnoxious (kind of like you).

That being said, it's their list, they make the criteria and they decide who gets on it. Plus there are a lot of great cities in Europe, its just true.

And even though there are plenty of amazing places to visit in South America, issues of safety, sanitation, and stability would deter most people from wanting to actually live there. Ditto China and other parts of Asia.

You guys are vultures. This is the way I discuss and you guys nitpick that. I'm not the typical sufu poster whose posts are imbued with lighthearted hip-hop humor but that's just the way I am. Doesn't mean I'm uptight.

I'll have to say, for people saying lighten up, you guys are passive-aggressive with your hostility and patronizing.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you can't help but say antagonistic nonsense.

Stop complaining about what other people say, or generalizing posters on sufu, and make a fucking point or beat it.

I asked you a simple, direct question about what cities you think should be included and why. You failed.

I was in Japan with a spouse visa and I was trying to find work other than Eigo sensei. Didn't happen. My Japanese wife, however, can easily find work in the US. There's inequality in this situation. Also, Japan is a racist fucking country and their narcissistic TV shows and media were nauseating, to say the least. Also, the assumption that I've been nowhere else, where did that come from?

You did ask me the question, salaryman, and I said I didn't know but that I recognized this list's bias. That's an important point of critique. That's what I've been saying all along and I don't see what I need to do differently to not be told stupid shit, like to go fuck myself or go smoke pot.