Supreme F/W 2009

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and is it safe to assume that the people buying these decks are not supreme aficionados but rather artnerds. correct?

i am guessing the ones buying them for what we think are ridiculous prices are art speculators (like resellers, the bottom dwellers of the art world). they approximate a recognized art world artifact but not quite enough to draw attention from actual art collectors, at least not now.

I think that would explain the ridic prices they went for. I don't remember Murakami decks being hyped at all though

murakami was the beginning of the awareness...

^So you enjoy his art then? I ask because most people i encounter do not. Just curious as to why if so.

like supreme, a major driver in the inflated demand for hirst is hype among people with little taste... but if you dig deeper i suppose there's a reason why tastemakers have supported them both. i am personally not a huge fan but there is certainly much worse out there.

According to Sophnets website the scarf collaboration will be available in October through Supreme.

Collabos this season are pretty weak, need to do more stuff like Northface and Timberland, less jp market stuff.

hmmmm.... i assume the scarf will be jp supreme only but who knows

saville decks sat around for months.......

minter sat for a while, at least a week or two, no? still kickin myself for not getting that.

art decks have been getting more hyped, but i think the bansky decks were a special case (going for 500+) b/c of the art collectors. he's definitely the biggest artist supreme has worked with.

minter sat for a while, at least a week or two, no? still kickin myself for not getting that.

art decks have been getting more hyped, but i think the bansky decks were a special case (going for 500+) b/c of the art collectors. he's definitely the biggest artist supreme has worked with.

^don't you mean hirst? anyway, i'd argue that koons is bigger anyway

Koons, Hirst, and Bansky all remain relevant only for their commercial potential. In academia, Hirst and Koons are still taught (it would be ridiculous to ignore them considering their immense selling power) but look pretty stilted through a contemporary lens. Personally I think they're both hacks.

banksy is still culturally relevant and his work still has a beguiling power when observed first hand in context and even at secondhand remove. it's certainly a lot more interesting than it has to be from a commercial perspective at this stage.

koons and hirst are good at what they do but jesus christ do i hate koons and how

i was kind of anti-deck for a while but i loved the minter eye deck with its unsettling gaze... the wool decks are pretty underrated as well

I don't understand all this hate for koons. There is alot of labor put into his work. Works that look like photos are meticulously painted.works that look like plastic toys are heavy metal and painted to exact replica, things that are shiny have been painted that way. It's very well executed imo.

Fair play readytoignite. I sort of threw Bansky's name in there, but it was a sweeping statement. I'm not really into him but I shouldn't be dismissive out of hand.

Also, the majority of Koons' sculptural and installation work is factory produced, not by him. He would say that's part of the point, the industrial method versus the artisanal, and while I disagree with the relevancy of his point, since you brought it up I thought it would be worth mentioning.

PS. Maybe Sufu needs an art thread because I have never posted in the Supreme thread before tonight.

im so dissapointed that the black mickey tees sold out. Not that i wanted one, but moreso that someone paid 118 shipped for that shirt. It literally can be bought at the disney store. That image isnt a particularily original mickey pose.

I''m less surprised at the price than at the fact that only the black is sold out. If it says Supreme on it, it will sell out. I could see those hoodies sitting a while, though, even though they are a better deal and the markup isn't as insane. Should have put Supreme on it somewhere!