Rising Sun & Co

Turntabloid

Most of the time I'm pretty much at peace with being almost dirt poor. It's good for the character y'know. I can still afford most of what I need and even the occasional thing I want. But then stuff like this comes along, and that long buried green-eyed monster gets woke up. Time for the lotus position... and, breathe... Ah, there we go. Good on you there 'switch, how about a combo fit picture with that Wabash?

Hey Mike- it'd be interesting to hear about the collaboration you did with Rising Sun- you know, details about where the specific jeans were found that were reproed, the company that originally made them, if there were any legal issues in reproducing them, how the design process for the repos went, what working with Rising Sun was like, etc.. etc. etc.

Unless you already talked about this elsewhere?

I should be heading up to San Francisco in a few months, I can tell you in person where I found the A.B Elfelts, I don't want to say the location on this thread. The company A.B Elfelt made the original pants, that I have around

1877 to 1879, some time in that range. A.B Elfelt started in 1867 in San Francisco, they were then dissolved in 1884. If you ever find a pant that has a Elfelt patch with San Francisco on it, you know that it can't date past 1884. I would like to take some time and break down our experience with the Rising Sun collaboration.

I should be heading up to San Francisco in a few months, I can tell you in person where I found the A.B Elfelts, I don't want to say the location on this thread. The company A.B Elfelt made the original pants, that I have around

1877 to 1879, some time in that range. A.B Elfelt started in 1867 in San Francisco, they were then dissolved in 1884. If you ever find a pant that has a Elfelt patch with San Francisco on it, you know that it can't date past 1884. I would like to take some time and break down our experience with the Rising Sun collaboration.

I think it may be nice to actually have a book launch here in SF. Maybe have a Q&A, exhibition of some of the items and learn more about the process of creating the book.

I don't really know how to post pictures to the thread yet, P.M me with your email address and I will send them to you.

I would like to see them. Shoot me an email and either Roy or I or Fardin can post them.

Most of the time I'm pretty much at peace with being almost dirt poor. It's good for the character y'know. I can still afford most of what I need and even the occasional thing I want. But then stuff like this comes along, and that long buried green-eyed monster gets woke up. Time for the lotus position... and, breathe... Ah, there we go. Good on you there 'switch, how about a combo fit picture with that Wabash?

Dude, let me tell you. I have succumbed like never before. Time for a break though.

I told myself before heading to the party. "No denim. The book and a handkerchief is cool, but no denim." Well I walked outta there with all of them. Weak is one word for it.

I told my father-in-law (he went with me). "Man if I get drunk tonight I might just buy those things." Referring to the jeans of course. I think Mike Hodis and Mike Harris overheard that and lead me to the free booze in the back. Haha, just kidding. My father-in-law kept egging me on, though and refilling my cup. Well at least I can't blame my own weak will, but rather the booze and my father-in-law. ;)

Here are some of the pics of the Cotton Duck pants. Mike Harris is the model. If you are handing out rep give it to him.

frontfitduck.jpg

backfitduck.jpg

frontleftpocket.jpg

rightrearpocketducku.jpg

I have more pics of comparisons of the originals. Those will have to wait until after work.

The Rising Sun aesthetic never made a lot of sense to me until the "deadgrass" stuff. I respected what Hodis did, but didn't really "get it." The last few days have, however, shifted my denim paradigm. It brings tears to my eyes that something like this has come together. It really is art. Well done folks. You added some beauty to this world.

Here are some of the pics of the Cotton Duck pants. Mike Harris is the model. If you are handing out rep give it to him.

rightrearpocketducku.jpg

I have more pics of comparisons of the originals. Those will have to wait until after work.

That is some sick nasty deadly back pocket design! Just goes to show the craftmanship in garment making back in them 1800s.

Awesome work!

Is there a layaway plan with Rising Sun?

^Hah, I think they do need a layaway plan.

I've always liked the garments coming out of Rising Sun, but it's all fairly unaffordable for me. I could easily see myself wearing either (or both) of the Deadgrass trousers, but at $500 each (plus tax and shipping), that's a bit too rich for me. And, I'm used to paying Mister Freedom prices...

There are still more to come, but I had a little down time at work, so here it goes.

The butt

duckrear.jpg

With the original as a comparison

duckcomprear.jpg

The one-piece fly.

duckonepiecefly2.jpg

A better look at the bottom of the one-piece fly.

duckonepiecefly.jpg

These pics are also in the Jeans Book thread. I believe there is a parallel conversation going on here. At least for me anyways.

What do y'all think of the two button fly? Haven't seen anything like that. The A.B. Efelt repros that I have, have a 3 button fly. I am use to the normal 4 button.

Here are some more of the duck pants alongside the originals.

Here is the patch. Correct me if I am wrong Mike, but I don't believe mike has found the original patch for these. So this is what Rising Sun put together. I like the look of it.

duckpatch.jpg

Full frontal. Sorry about the size, but these need to be large.

fullfrontcomphalfleg.jpg

Left front pocket.

leftfrontpocketcomp.jpg

Rear pocket alongside the same model, but made in denim.

duckcompbackpocket.jpg

awesome pics mike, those pants really look great. what do you think of the duckdigger and hellers cafe stuff? cause they also have some pants of that period?

Part of my collection is at warehouse in Japan. They remade some of the pants (page 104 in the book, B & O Greenebaum) after I sold them to one of the warehouse scouts. But Duck digger puts belt loops on the B & O Greenebaum, I would like to try to always stay true to the original design even if it doesn't suit modern conveniences that we are accustom to.

wow thats really interesting to know. yes its a pity they put beltloops on all their pants period repros wich is not accurate. i donthave the book yet. but cant wait. thanks again mike

Yes, word on the street had definitely gotten around that I would be attending.

I suppose going with your father in law might have been the ultimate cock block.

..maybe next time. The ladies will just have to wait until then.

No shit right.

Unfortunately, I have to admit, (no offense to the beautiful ladies at the party), but none of the girls could hold a flame to my old lady.