Rising Sun & Co

Turntabloid

I find really sad they are closing shop. I don't own any of they're stuff, but had my eye on a couple of things. I really admire the owner's dedication to what he loves and making his dreams into reality. I hope he goes on to produce something new and exciting. 

People over at Denimbro are saying that Rising Sun is closing up shop. Anyone know anything about this?

From what I was told at the Vater & Sohn summerfest: the old Investor retired and they either didn't find a new one or someone who supports the brand's direction. Strange Thing, as they reached out to many overseas Shops, including Japan (one of the few western brands I saw regularly featured in the Magazines there).

Does anyone own a pair of linesman boots?

If so how'd you size compared to other boots? I'm a size 10-11 depending on last in Alden, Viberg and Whites.

I've got narrow but quite long feet, what kind of width are the linesman?

Hi, I do as you can see in the pic a few posts ago.

I wear a 10-10.5 in Alden, I've got a pair of Viberg in the 2030 last in 10 which are a bit too short and I have the Linesman boots in 10, whcih is too short unfortunately. I had them stretched and they're okay now. 11 might have been better but perhaps a bit too big. I don't think they offer half sizes. Hope that helps.

I have the Linemans - I wear an 8.5 in the Alden Indy (TruBalance), 8.5 in most Red Wings, and I picked up a 9 in the Rising Sun boots. They fit great, although I do use an insole in all my boots. I could also wear them with no insole and a thicker boot sock and they fit fine that way, too.

Edited by Strange Standards

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just come by some Beautiful Blacksmiths in a Cone Loomstate Denim. Part of the MoneyBag special run for Denimbro.

They are one of my Grail Jeans - However, these might not fit after a soak and I might sell them on. This is heart breaking but it's pointless to have them wasting away in the cupboard.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Size: W 32" / L34".

Will update a thread in the supermarket with pics sometime this weekend.

Thanks

Edited by UkeNo

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have experience on RS&C flannels? I really like the black/white/scarlet one.

The Plainsman? I own one - what would you like to know?

Fit: I'm 6', 185lbs and wear a large. It's a little boxy, but I like it that way. I tend to rock a tee under my flannel shirts most times.

Fabric is pre-washed, so shrinkage is minimal. I really didn't notice any at all after a 40* wash and hang-dry.

It's fairly heavyweight, but not to an Iron Heart degree.

• 2 weeks later...

I

The Plainsman? I own one - what would you like to know?

Fit: I'm 6', 185lbs and wear a large. It's a little boxy, but I like it that way. I tend to rock a tee under my flannel shirts most times.

Fabric is pre-washed, so shrinkage is minimal. I really didn't notice any at all after a 40* wash and hang-dry.

It's fairly heavyweight, but not to an Iron Heart degree.

Thanks. Is it brushed inside? Heaver weight than say a j crew or uniqlo flannel?

• 11 months later...

There seems to have been lots of talk last year about Rising Sun Mfg. going out of business but it looks like they are still alive and kicking. Does anybody know what the story is? Was it just their retail shop not able to survive?

Edited by nutusufu

Mike Hodis left the company after issues with the 'man with the money', who hold 51% of RS&Co.

Now it seems the brand is still running, producing old stuff, and a few new pieces.

So far all the new pieces were stuff that Hodis never publicly offered,at least as far as I know.

Anyway, Hodis is now running a new show, 'runaboutgoods', doing this and that for Stevenson Overall, which leads me to the conclusion, that the HTC group is now being the 'one with the money'.

Mike Hodis left the company after issues with the 'man with the money', who hold 51% of RS&Co.

Now it seems the brand is still running, producing old stuff, and a few new pieces.

So far all the new pieces were stuff that Hodis never publicly offered,at least as far as I know.

Anyway, Hodis is now running a new show, 'runaboutgoods', doing this and that for Stevenson Overall, which leads me to the conclusion, that the HTC group is now being the 'one with the money'.

Very interesting. Thank you for the info.

FYI, HTC does not own nor fund Stevenson.  Stevenson is wholly owned by Atsu Tagaaya and is a Japanese company, no investors or big money involved.  Not that i consider HTC big money considering Zip has been running his business independently for years.

FYI, HTC does not own nor fund Stevenson.  Stevenson is wholly owned by Atsu Tagaaya and is a Japanese company, no investors or big money involved.  Not that i consider HTC big money considering Zip has been running his business independently for years.

Could you guys clear up who/what HTC is?

Could you guys clear up who/what HTC is?

HTC is Hollywood Trading Company. HTC is owned by Zip Stevenson.  Zip also owns Santa Rosa boots and Denim Doctor.  They're all housed in one large warehouse in LA and within this warehouse is one of the largest collections of vintage boots and leather jackets.  Zip got his start as a vintage collector and over the years added the HTC line of belts, boots under the name Santa Rosa, and his denim repair services which used to have it's own shop on Beverley.  

Kiya, that is interesting. The following article by Denim Hunters gives the impression that Stevenson Overall is the brain child of both Zip and Atsu. Do you know what Zip's role in the company is?

https://www.denimhunters.com/2014/02/brand-profile-stevenson-overalls-co/

conclusions, conclusions...... thanks for correcting me!

Kiya, that is interesting. The following article by Denim Hunters gives the impression that Stevenson Overall is the brain child of both Zip and Atsu. Do you know what Zip's role in the company is?

https://www.denimhunters.com/2014/02/brand-profile-stevenson-overalls-co/

I have nothing to add but I just want to say that the sweater in this article is gorgeous

• 2 years later...

I work in a shop in Finland that used to stock Rising sun and we still have some of their products. I just bought the lined ranch hand jacket from them. Do you guys know if they used cotton threads on their products? IMO it would be a nice addition but doesn't really matter, it would just be nice to know. Sorry to bring this old thread back up again

FWIW, within the past few months, I exchanged e-mails with someone at the company who was very responsive, and I bought a lined raw denim Ranch Jacket and an unlined black canvas one (it was when they posted a big 40% off sale online). Really nice jackets! I'm very happy with them. I feel like I paid a fair price for them, but I would never have bit at their list prices; they're nice, but not *that* nice. I'm not sure if they are continuing their business in the long term, but they do seem to still have some stock to sell, possibly via periodic blowouts.

One odd thing, however: Before I ordered the lined jacket, the Website showed several in stock in various sizes. However, after I placed my order, the lined Ranch Jacket product was pulled from the Website entirely, and hasn't returned since. I don't know why this would be, unless my order made the owner decide he wanted to stockpile a collection of that particular product for some reason.

Edited by 428CJ