Rising Sun & Co

Turntabloid

Same here. Have got to the point now where I've given up. I have emailed and put my details on a physical 'wait' list at the actual shop and little or no response. Rumor has it that an online store is coming soon. This would please me greatly because there are several pieces I've been in the market for over the years.

Orvis has had their few things for awhile but it's none of the pieces I want and I'm sorry but those jeans at Nordstrom are horrible. I guess they might make some much needed capital from them but they're still ugly. As for facebook, I'm not on there and never will be so that's not an option for me. I'll just have to go down to SoCal once in awhile and pick things out in person and keep the fingers crossed for a webstore.

Edited by devilish

So blacksmith jeans is made from cone denim, is it sanforized or unsanfor? cause i got the email from RS that for size 32"

True waist 35"

Front rise 12"

Back rise 16"

Leg opening 9 1/2"

since the measurement is hard to find maybe this information useful.

Rising Sun don't seem to be good retailers. They weren't helpful at all when I was dying for a Farmer shirt in size small. They seemed like they couldn't care less to either make one, or help me find one. One guy? Buy one shirt? Who gives a fuck about him! We can make shitty jeans for a huge department chain and make bank. That is how I feel and I don't care who thinks I am a dick for saying that.

What did they lose by not helping me? Well I spent $1500 on Mister Freedom gear this year and passed on buying the repro's that IHBW and Bandit make look so good. I would have also bought a machinist cap in every color, and any future Farmer shirts in other colors. So since they can't me, I won't support them. And those three items I mentioned from Rising Sun I love so much, but I will never own them.

I guess we both lose. Congrats on those that have/ had luck buying from RS and dealing with them. And I am glad to see some of you guys getting sweet gear and looking good in it even though I can't.

Ok, to clarify my experience with them so far. They were super nice and helpful when I went there in person and I bought a Ranch Hand Jacket. I put my details on a waiting list for two more items that had just started to go into production but had not yet been made in my size. Have never received any return reply. I also wanted to buy a sample they had. They did respond to my emails about that jacket but it was not for sale. I spoke to Mike in person about it at a recent event and then followed up with emails that got a mixed response and now the trail has gone cold.

I very much like what they do and am all in favor of their continued success. I understand they are a small company with a lot to do. I just think sometimes things get left to fall through the cracks and that leaves some people (not just me) frustrated. Especially so when really all we want to do is help out by being return customers.

Edited by devilish

Mixed experiences here, too.

They where nice and responsive regarding my emails when making an appointment to visit their store. I picked my items - they finished them and send them to Germany.

I was a little irritated when I found out that the shirt had 2 left cuffs - I asked them about this, but never got an reply. Being a tailor myself I know how easy it is to screw up when doing the pre-assembly.

Regarding the Nordstrom jeans: I guess this helps paying the bill - doing US$300-500 jeans for fashion victims (some of their hipper, slimmer cuts) or denim freaks (us) out of Pasadena for an "spoiled" American audience certainly not - this end of the business can most likely be only a hobby...(unless you are a determined one-man-show).

Edited by Foxy2

I actually ended up speaking with them over the phone eventually, and they didn't put forth any effort or attempt to help me.

Mister Freedom is a staff of 4-5, and that includes Christophe. So being understaffed isn't an excuse in my book.

I love the folks at Mister Freedom and they are by far the easiest folks to deal with. They remember me by name, ask how my son is doing and all that good stuff. I can't say enough about them. Not to excuse Rising Sun's lack of customer service, but they don't really have a store front, like MF does. What they have is more of a factory where you can schedule a time to check out some stuff. Of course some of the their more prestigious clientele get the red carpet treatment. Nevertheless, their customer service does leave something to be desired. If they don't want you to buy stuff out of their Los Angeles factory, then don't put "contact us regarding this item" in their blog posts.

^^ I did send 2 or 3 emails without reply and then gave up.

I wasn't even asking for a rebate or anything, but I can not imagine that they wouldn't notice the issue with the sleeve opening before they sold it to me at full price...

Not a big thing to me, but it shows how much they care.

Edited by Foxy2

• 1 month later...

hw carter and sons will be a rising sun retailer when we open up in the coming week. we have several jean styles available as well as some shirting and a couple of vests as well (like the one pictured above)

once everything is up and running i would be happy to help people in this thread out...feel free to PM me, of course.

Edited by jo3 b

Folks, there is a potential group buy going on over at denimbro. Hodis is willing to make a special run of blacksmiths using some loomstate cone denim if we can get enough people. He has enough for 15 pairs and we currently have 7 folks. Hit me with a PM here on superfuture or check out the below link:

http://www.denimbro.com/topic328_post9404.html#9404

• 2 weeks later...

^rnrswitch.

How are the details of these special Blacksmiths coming along?

Be interested to see these when they're done.

Would love to take part - on my list of Jeans to buy, but can't justify it right now.

Special Edition/ Jean Comps seem to be like buses these days! ;)

Really like the design and details of the Blacksmiths - best item rising sun offers for my money. I especially like your custom pair from a little while ago.

Hope it all comes together for you guys.

Keep us posted.

• 2 months later...

Folks the groupbuy is currently going on. Check the denimbro website for sizing information. There was some more denim found so we can open it up to more than 15 pairs. If you want to see the denim then check the denimbro site for pics of my jean jacket made of the same loomstate stuff.

denimbro: where roy contest jean participants go to slowly die.

edit: except for paul t.

I have a pair of their new Scout Chino Khaki's on order. I've found Rising Sun to be responsive via email. Also, they even emailed me to let me know when someone would be in the shop to discuss some sizing questions via phone.

Also added a Machinist Cap. Love the blue one I have, so I grabbed a brown one.