Sign in to follow this  
ProfMonnitoff

Getting rid of rep

im repping everyone that posts in this thread

HH i think rep comments would be meaningless without the username.

no one said we should remove names from rep :confused:

no one said we should remove names from rep :confused:
i don't think the rep system is powerful enough, plus i think rep comments should be anonymous

^^^^^^^^^^

ha alright didn't remember that post. why should they be anonymous then ????

nobody should have rep except darkidious(sp)

i think rep would be better without reppower posted up on the menu

cause all the kids will try to be friends with whitney and mass and all those other 1k+ powered people for some pos rep

:(

nobody wants to be my friend :(

:( i'll be your friend mass!

i wont even ask for rep !! <333

Personally I think it's all a waste of time simply because it only provides some sort of ego trip to people. It's like because you have more rep power than others, you have more authority than the next person which I think is completely far fetched.

It's sort of like the rich vs poor. The higher you are in terms of status, you seem to have this snobby over the top attitude and think because you have more value than others that you can simply mistreat them.

Take the rep power off, and have it returned to the way it used to be with the creative comments that come with each level of rep ( eg; "_____ has hit rep-o-rama").

i think rep would be better without reppower posted up on the menu

cause all the kids will try to be friends with whitney and mass and all those other 1k+ powered people for some pos rep

:(

glad you learned lah

:)

nobody wants to be my friend :(

I'll be your dog.

5LvLn9PWln8

Guest jmatsu
Personally I think it's all a waste of time simply because it only provides some sort of ego trip to people. It's like because you have more rep power than others' date=' you have more authority than the next person which I think is completely far fetched.

It's sort of like the rich vs poor. The higher you are in terms of status, you seem to have this snobby over the top attitude and think because you have more value than others that you can simply mistreat them.

Take the rep power off, and have it returned to the way it used to be with the creative comments that come with each level of rep ( eg; "_____ has hit rep-o-rama").[/quote']

the fact that you think that "it's all a waste of time," indicates that you give it too much thought. the obvious- our egos are all susceptible to compliments via rep, and it's def much more convenient (vs. pm) to just use the rep function in certain situations to get a comment (naughty or nice) out. one that might derail certain subjects/threads.

you are thinking of the system as a bureaucracy or aristocracy run microcosm. the fact of the matter is that with any community or activity groups there is always a hierarchy. which it is, but the alpha nigs or homosap-superior are always gonna outshine the inferior (regardless of a rep system). some might have huge reps while other have low reps. it's really of no big consequence since the mighty cannot banish the lowly. what i'm saying is that regardless of the rep system (which should be considered purely the forum's fun factor/entertainment), that a number of members are gonna say whatever they feel like and will be recognized for it. a number of us were how you say "mistreating" other members even before the system was even implemented.

it's all how serious you take things.

that aside, i woulda thought that someone like you would enjoy the rep system. i've seen you clowned (i make no apologies for having shat on you) in the beginning, and claw your way outta the shithole dregs to become a decent not so annoying member here. YOU should wear your green like a badge of honor.

Although I admire the slight compliment in your post J I still feel that the rep power is just a bit much.

As aforementioned, I would rather the rep system go back to its original ways with the creative comments that coincide with each level of rep. With the way things are right now, in my opinion some people may consider the rep power system to have a lack of substance.

I just think that a lot of people are taking advantage of the whole thing and are just using this power to establish some credibility amongst the should I say 'higher ups' on this forum. In other words, a lot of people like to put on this fake persona, suck e-peen just to get noticed.

Guest jmatsu

I just think that a lot of people are taking advantage of the whole thing and are just using this power to establish some credibility amongst the should I say 'higher ups' on this forum. In other words, a lot of people like to put on this fake persona, suck e-peen just to get noticed.

honestly who cares? plus i think most people can see right through this. it's like you're still trying to compete with these people. anyway thats the way shit is. thats life. this forum is trying to prepare you for the real world, ichigo. think of it as one of your rpg video games. a simulation. SIMS!

couldnt the people who dont like rep, just ignore it? wouldnt this solve the problem? If you dont care about it, why care if it stays or goes? (directed at no one in particular)

I agree with this guy.

its not that we dont care about rep power, but that we dislike it.

bars are useful (full green/red are easy to get, kinda mark a user as good/bad). rep power on the other hand pretty much implies circle jerking (i'm just as guilty) and doesn't really have any other use. just because i got a ton of rep in the post pictures of dogs thread doesn't mean that my opinion in some other thread is worth more.

i agree with whitney that rep should mainly be a way to leave little messages/replies that aren't worth an actual post because they're only relevant to the person you're repping.

Do people actually weigh the opinion of the highly repped poster over that of the less repped poster?

Even if they did (too bad for them), I still think a rep revamp is unnecessary. I'm not fighting to maintain the current system. It Is what it is.

Guest jmatsu
Do people actually weigh the opinion of the highly repped poster over that of the less repped poster?

Even if they did (too bad for them), I still think a rep revamp is unnecessary. I'm not fighting to maintain the current system. It Is what it is.

in a perfect sufu it shouldn't be about reputation points, but one's actual reputation on the board. whether they have proven themselves valuable to the forum. whether their actual opinion is worth a damn. and coincidently or EVEN NOT the top repped imo usually are the ones i turn too for serious inquiries about shit i am not knowledgeable about. obviously there are many lower repped members who are respectable, who don't care about the forum politics and just utilize the forum for strictly knowledge exchange. alot of those people got my respect. anyway only a fool (i suppose we have many here) would actually let someone's rep points influence them.

but on the other hand, i mean let's face it, the big repholders are doing something right. and i doubt i am just speaking for myself, but i rarely rep the heavy hitters, and rarely have they repped me. it's not like there is this trilateral commission/illuminati conspiracy thing going on here...in which the heavy hitters deliberately keep repping one another. i'd say that the the top tier distributes pos/neg pretty justifiably with no back room agenda.

i just can't believe that some actually think rep is the only way to measure their (or one's) own worth.

i just can't believe that some actually think rep is the only way to measure their (or one's) own worth.

Personally, I still use a ruler.

bars are useful (full green/red are easy to get, kinda mark a user as good/bad). rep power on the other hand pretty much implies circle jerking (i'm just as guilty) and doesn't really have any other use. just because i got a ton of rep in the post pictures of dogs thread doesn't mean that my opinion in some other thread is worth more.

3695577871_ef83706938.jpg

are you sure not a yardstick?

Not sure if this was in reference to my previous post but it's not the rep power of the user but more or less their post history and what I've seen them say. To give an example If I posted a waywt and my style was workwear I would take someone like Bill's opinion more seriously over that of a user who I hadn't previously noticed. It's not because of his rep power but because of his previous waywt's, his experience with workwear in his job and the opinion posts I've seen him make.

In a distant, imaginary, Superfuture world, rep will cease to exist. Thus begins the post-Supertrash era, where one aimless wanders amidst a sea of information no longer anchored down by tons of fecal matter hurdling down toward the endless abyss of cyberspace…

Wiki pages and forums aren't really the same thing. How will unimportant people feel like celebrities with just a sea of information? I guess there could be a wiki info section, a buy&sell section, and a comment area. Wait. That's what sufu is now. Hmmm....

I really don't see a problem with supertrash or with rep. I mean, the rep thing probably could be used better (though i don't have an idea how) but doesn't seem like a big deal and i don't know that many good/bad consequences of it. It just kinda is there. Comments are useful though. I guess some newer posters could read into it too much but i don't think people who have been around for a few months consider it over experience in reading their posts.

sdfasdfasdf

I just tried to rep you but I can't do it again ;(

Honestly if we come here regularly (I've been a somewhat intermittent reader since the layout change) we all know who knows their shit, who is funny, who dresses well, etc.

I don't know Jmatsu's exact rep but if I have a sneaker question I won't go to someone else just because they got more rep. I haven't checked the WAYWT recently but I'm sure I still know 95% of the people whose style I like. There's an informal repping system going on where you establish credibility, just like in the real world where there's a bunch of people I def wouldn't take advice on specific topics from. I don't ask Mass about suit construction but I'll clearly listen to him about styling and collections to watch for. Or greasy fast food...

In the end rep doesn't bother me, I just feel it could be revamped to be more useful. The most important aspects of the system are still there though; the ability to send personal comments to someone for a helpful/funny/stylish post.

I don't think it should be gone, its an easy way to leave messages and its entertaining. Drunk reps are great.

Ideally it also cuts down on the need for people to post "LULZ", "NICE FIT", "Nice ass TG" after a post they like.

I think the requirements to spread rep and the limit on daily reps are good.

But still, I think the system would be better if

1) Rep bars were proportional. Only the 10 posters with the highest rep or even the poster with the highest had a full bar and everyone else was to scale.

2) Rep power was gone. All rep from anyone was worth the same. Negative and positive.

3) You kept every rep you ever got and could see it. and you could also see every one you gave too.

and also if people stopped treating the whole scheme like this,

i still want to win.

3) You kept every rep you ever got and could see it. and you could also see every one you gave too.

that would be nice.. my first ever rep said 'please stay' it made my eyes well up and my icy heart crack. but much like the box of letters i have somewhere from ex boyfriends they just take up space and arent really needed

Guest jmatsu

wish the rep or neg rep stayed even if it's corresponding post got deleted. weird, but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

In a distant, imaginary, Superfuture world, rep will cease to exist. Thus begins the post-Supertrash era, where one aimless wanders amidst a sea of information no longer anchored down by tons of fecal matter hurdling down toward the endless abyss of cyberspace…

so gay bro.

NEGGED.