Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ProfMonnitoff

Getting rid of rep

77 posts in this topic

This has been brought up a few times, I think hap even talked about it once. The rep system has become completely useless. I can fill somebody's bars just by repping them once, as can many others.

My suggestion would be to make the rep system similar to TFS: you don't actually see how much rep anybody has. You can rep people as often as you want. It's just used as a quick way to leave a nice/nasty message.

I guess the bars arguably make sense because red bars 'brand' a user, but more importantly rep power is just dumb.

id like to cash mine in for m&m's

but seriously, if fear of neg rep stops people saying bitchy things i reckon it should stay but make rep power invisible again so its not so in ya face

I say keep the rep, make the bar harder to fill and make everyone's rep power the same, regardless of how much rep they have. That way getting rep from a newb counts the same as getting it from one of the top 5 rep holders.

+1 with first post

every rep should be worth 1 point but the point count wouldn't be displayed anywhere in public.

so there still could be people in the red because of their behavior, which is a good thing.

although reputation is, as some point out, cosmetic, it does this forum a disservice through encouraging a particular element to post as frequently as possible, shitting things up in the process.

high (inane) post counts existed here long before the rep system came along, for a while they went down because there was a good chat room but it turned to custard as the forum got bigger and full of kids unable to edit what they were writing because its 'just the internet man'

the bullying, bitchassness could be bought into line with strict moderation but then the forum gets filled with mods suck threads, other more innocent meme posts are usually people bringing their friendships onto the forum and these are in most developed communities its part of their personalities be it high or low brow

i concur with making everyone's rep power the same. after posting something relatively non-offensive in an appropriate thread, i was neg repped by a user i'd never heard of. yet, because they had such an extremely high power, i lost three green boxes & gained three red.

i feel like this labels me as a type of poster, a type that does not reflect the quality of posts i make. i'm not bitching-- i'm just pointing out it's frustrating to think that i've been put into a category with other posters who are often newer & more idiotic. also, since said user gave me one neg rep, i've received a couple positive comments from users with lesser power..

this whole system enforces a negative elitism that thrives at sufu even without the rep system.

okay, yes. i am bitching.

although reputation is, as some point out, cosmetic, it does this forum a disservice through encouraging a particular element to post as frequently as possible, shitting things up in the process.

i agree with this.

sometimes i have to really refrain from making shitty/silly/sarcastic posts even if

i know that such a post would boost my rep.

rep is not that important, thus, i don't care whether it stays or goes... i do think that everyone should have the same rep power though.

i'm all for that.

the best thing about rep in my opinion is that it's a fun game to play, i don't care, but i still want to win, it's like finding your n64 during spring break and playing zelda but the second you lose you pack it up again.

don't know what it'd take, but it it was evened out more it'd be a bit better. if the rep power wasn't so skewed (and hidden again) and maybe only the handful at the top had full bars so that they made a little more sense.

I don't really care either way if it goes, I'd miss the comments the most but the whole system is entertaining and hasn't ever bothered me.

i think the reputation just amounts to continual circle jerking form "some" parties, stupid and idiotic posts by "some others" and the rest just don't give a fuck! I say hide the rep points it's so lame. If you want your ego stroked go and do something productive like community service.

I think getting rid of it would be a mistake, for whatever reason I think it does encourage people to play nice and to attempt to post witty, interesting things - we all like the approbation of our peers.

^^ like what?

As a whole, I tend not to make stupid comments because I like having green bars over red.

I try to contribute, but honestly – one really shouldn't give a damn about rep, except to not be an ass on sufu.

stop with this shit, it doesnt make you look dark and mysterious. It makes you look like that kid who wets his bed and tortures small rodents.
I wanna throw him down that well.

should prolly quote this waste of times other posts but fuck that looking through the worst fits for a couple of pages is enough, can't be bothered.

rep isnt even as important as it used to be since everyone has it (rep inflation concept), so if anything ppl care less about it now

yo how bout instead of making a rep "score", we just have a percentage thing implemented so it's like "90% + rep" or w/e would be sorta like a green bar etc

then even if a person has hella rep but their percentage is low, people will stop bringing rep into account for e-beef or opinions so the sheep cloning can stop

example

OMEGAJELLYJIGGLE

^^^ that would be a low rep, equivalent to red rep bar, but less obvious. you could be a great poster with a shitload of neg rep etc wtf am I saying I forogt

the first thing to do would be to remove the "rep power" from the mini profile, it's useless and we were fine without it.

Rep is useless. Posting style makes you spot idiots and number of posts identify regulars. However rep comments are a useful tool.

couldnt the people who dont like rep, just ignore it? wouldnt this solve the problem? If you dont care about it, why care if it stays or goes? (directed at no one in particular)

HH i think rep comments would be meaningless without the username. The name puts the comment into context, I'm not going to take everyones opinions or critiques the same way.

In general I think rep power should be removed from the mini profile and maxed out. Something like people who have 1k rep could give or take 1 bar (100pts?) and then just scale it downwards from there. Also pos and neg should be equal I think.

Rep is useless. Posting style makes you spot idiots and number of posts identify regulars. However rep comments are a useful tool.
HH i think rep comments would be meaningless without the username. The name puts the comment into context, I'm not going to take everyones opinions or critiques the same way.

In general I think rep power should be removed from the mini profile and maxed out. Something like people who have 1k rep could give or take 1 bar (100pts?) and then just scale it downwards from there. Also pos and neg should be equal I think.

i'm too lazy to PM and sometimes i rather just say something to an individual rather then the subjecting the whole forum..so if i rep you, it is because i care enough to say something. whether its positive or negative remains to be seen......................

and yah, ditto on what mpcec says. its never the points but the person who leaves a msg (still/analog/anyonewithaverylowreppowerduetoskewedrepsystemandnotpostingasmuchoratallthatilike) and it also could be that someone i've never heard of says something insightful or funny through rep, then i'm like ohhhhhh yah :) even though they're a newbie so the rep is basically grey.

In a distant, imaginary, Superfuture world, rep will cease to exist. Thus begins the post-Supertrash era, where one aimless wanders amidst a sea of information no longer anchored down by tons of fecal matter hurdling down toward the endless abyss of cyberspace…