usa :: chicago :: general

disarm_1

So I'm so outta touch, but I just discovered Mildblend in Wicker Park this weekend. For denim heads this is by far the best Japanese Denim selection. They even have a union special to do chain stitching on. Among the brands carried they had:

Iron Heart

The Flat Head

3Sixteen

Unbranded

Eternal

Nudie

Railcar

Leftfield

Momataro

and a bunch more. They had other stuff too, but I was just surprised by their denim selection. And they didn't just have a pair or two, but stacks on stacks of them. Dudes were super nice to, asking about my PBJs and stuff

https://www.mildblend.com/

They also just stocked some Arcteryx Veilance recently too if anybody in the neighborhood wants to try.

• 1 month later...

I think the concrete shop literally just opened on the 13th of November. Webstore was open 10/10.  Makes me feel better buying visvim in Chicago vs. Saintalfred where I'm surrounded by mouthbreathing sneakerheads.

Checked out Notre today and talked to one of the owners. Apparently they're planning on stocking some Plokhov this spring, and probably CDG (assuming HP) EG and Needles later on which would be pretty cool. Said they're still talking to people and finding out what ppl are interested in seeing and I suggested Ute Ploier, JJVA and Bless cuz that would be great...idk if they'd go more in that direction tho but who knows?

Edited by fredokin

Checked out Notre today and talked to one of the owners. Apparently they're planning on stocking some Plokhov this spring, and probably CDG (assuming HP) EG and Needles later on which would be pretty cool. Said they're still talking to people and finding out what ppl are interested in seeing and I suggested Ute Ploier, JJVA and Bless cuz that would be great...idk if they'd go more in that direction tho but who knows?

That's literally all over the fashion map; plokhov and CDG & Needles/EG? That's kind of insane, that would be the #1 shopping destination in Chicago

That's literally all over the fashion map; plokhov and CDG & Needles/EG? That's kind of insane, that would be the #1 shopping destination in Chicago

Yeah I could see EG/Needles with what they have now but Plokhov and CDG are a completely different area so it'll be interesting to see what they end up doing. It would be really strange seeing plokhov and cdg next to reigning champ, 3sixteen, filson etc

• 3 weeks later...

chicago sufu homies:

if u have nothing better to do this tuesday, come thru to Emporium Arcade in Logan Square (not wicker park)...my good friend who is the editor of zagat has put together this nightmarket called Sauced with some really tight food vendors, the inaugural one in Nov was a really good time...plus me and the homies are launching our food concept Hapa as well at this event and well be serving up some really fucking good food like this thai fried chicken and waffle sandwich

show some love for a fellow sufu-er!

http://www.saucedmarket.com/blog/

https://www.facebook.com/events/396816447137930/

1418184565714_zps83d1f4e8.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Spending a few days in Chicago this week and think I'm going to airbnb in Wicker Park or Logan Square. I don't anywhere I'm set on going and mainly want to just walk around and take photos but want to hit Quimbys, Myopic, and the re-sale shops in Wicker Park, eat in Logan Square, and check out the MCA and walk around a bit downtown.  Can I get a three day pass for the L?

if you're in wicker park

1. RSVP Gallery – great streetwear selection, fun to visit

2. Apartment No 9 - standard MMM etc high-end wear

3. St. Alfred's - sneakerhead shop w/ weird amount of UC/Vis/ACR/JAP brands

4. Mildblend – denimy place for denim denimz 

up in andersonville personal favorite is 

1. notre-shop – great ppl, great selection cool shop.

i dunno about other new retail.

Good recs, thanks guys. Don't have a lot of money for clothes and shit right now so I'll probably spend most of my time just walking around and most of my money on food. Planning to stop at the contemporary art museum and check out Independence. Shake Shack worth it or just hype?

hype. for burger try kuma's corner, original – black metal and tattoo crazy ppl serving while weird goth horror play.

prolly best burg chicago has to offer. skip hot doug's. if you really want deep dish get pequod's.

divvy right now okay to use to see the city.

• 3 months later...

Enjoyed Chicago a lot. Thanks for the recs everyone.

Not sure this is the best spot for this but don't know where else to put it/and asked about this for NYC too. 

How realistic is it to get by working some kind of clothing-related job in Chicago? I'm about to finish up undergrad and regretting my degree/career path and trying to figure things out. I've got a background in advertising/marketing and some in photography.  Seems like some guys on this forum work in retail but do extra work with the shop's tuff like marketing, branding, and social media (ex: Woodlands, Four Housemen, Nepenthes, and for Chicago specifically saw Penelope's had some marketing and photo stuff). Is anyone doing something like this? Should probably just look at advertising firms but not sure I want to go straight into something fully corporate/wanted to see what other people here do 

• 6 months later...

Heading to Chicago in about a week, anything y'all would say I have to see or do?

Staying in Oak Park (family just moved there) so won't really be downtown, but will spend a lot of time in the city.

Going to check out Mildblend for the denimz. Dunno what else is on the list yet.

Would love some food recommendations too.

For shopping, I'm kinda out of the loop...but Notre up in Andersonville neighborhood may interest you.

As for food, there are too many to list, really. Plus it depends on the vibe and price range. My advice would be to check out LTH Forums and look at their Great Neighborhood Restaurant list: http://www.lthforum.com/2016/05/2016-gnrs/

Another recommendation would be to go to any of the Michelin Bib Gourmand places. They are all good, and the bib gourmand means that they're somewhat "affordable"

http://chicago.eater.com/2016/10/26/13423154/chicago-michelin-bib-gourmand-2017

Thanks twistedtrees! Those look like some good resources, going to do some more research today.

Also does anyone have any beer recommendations? I know there are some good Chicago/Illinois breweries that we don't get distribution of so if you know of any good beer bars or bottle shops let me know!